New signings

All about our First Team

Re: New signings

Postby Stewjacksam » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Surely we are going to play 3-5-2 so 3 CB are required
More than happy with Lee Collins playing in the middle with Ozzy - that leaves room for the two wing backs and a flair player - probably grubb
(although i'd love to see an up for it KMB playing in the hole behind Doidge and Reid - now we can put the ball at the right end of the pitch KMB would be where he can hurt the opposition most)
agree with the comment reference dale bennett - not a good season so far for him - maybe he should be back challenging as a CB - i don't think he's a wing back.
Whitminster lads following "Non ita parva clava in colle"
Stewjacksam
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:05 pm

I comprehend most of the comments re:Dale bennett-but at the same time-i don't think he has been fully fit for that many games, not available for many games (his stupid fault for getting sent off), but above all-it must be hard to have played well .go on the trade mark marauding runs in that shambles of a defence .

it may just be that we see a re-vita;ised DB when match fit come march
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:28 pm

I too hope for a new improved Dale Bennett when he gets back. For a wing back he has had to defend too much and that may change now we have more options of experienced players in the back three.

Welcome Haydn. I think he will struggle to replace Collins and Rawson and Gunning looked sound on Saturday. Monthe may struggle to keep his place short term but did a good job of keeping Pope quiet at the weekend. I suppose the arrival of HH means we can dispense with Roberts though.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 pm

whilst he may not be the best signing FGR have ever made, i just love the way we talk of disposing of players as though flushing them down the toilet.

they are human i'm led to believe
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 am

Stewjacksam wrote:agree with the comment reference dale bennett - not a good season so far for him - maybe he should be back challenging as a CB - i don't think he's a wing back.

Interesting how we all see the game differently! I think Dale is an excellent wing back and his attacking ability and athleticism are wasted just a little bit at centre back.

Wing back is a very demanding role in the modern game and one for the true athletes - to be able to get forward, contribute meaningfully to attacks and put crosses in, whilst also getting back to defend in the corner of your own third, takes enormous fitness and stamina.

I think over the previous season or so Dale has been excellent in this role, although I accept a little less so this season - I think this is more due to the way the team has struggled though; it is not easy to be an effective attacking wing back when your team are losing the battle in midfield all the time and under pressure defensively for large sections of the game.

But IF we can bring in a right wing back who is better than a fully fit Dale Bennett, IMHO we are going to have one heck of a player on our hands!!
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby John Whiffen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:30 pm

I totally agree SkunkMan, I rate Dale very highly and have appreciated his runs up the wing in previous seasons but would assume he is following orders this season by stopping, then making a back pass when he reaches the halfway line.
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Bennett is quality, and is a fans favourite. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Hope he's fit soon.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:57 pm

OK, folks, I know it's only GloucestershireLive - yet again (don't we just love 'em) - but we are apparently interested in Truro's hot-shot Cody Cooke.

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/january-transfer-window-forest-green-1045505
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:56 pm

I see Chelsea are looking to let Trevar Challombah out on loan for 6 months ( he won the U-20 World Cup with England in the summer ), brother was at Chelsea and then sold to Watford. Must be more like him seeking experience in our League - could be well worth it.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fgr2016 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38 am

Dale is one of our best players and a great wing back...i think the reason he wasnt at his best was because he was limited by a shockingly poor group of centre backs.
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:28 am

stanman wrote:OK, folks, I know it's only GloucestershireLive - yet again (don't we just love 'em) - but we are apparently interested in Truro's hot-shot Cody Cooke.

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/january-transfer-window-forest-green-1045505

It's being reported by a number of sources that he is interesting half a dozen or so League 2 and even League 1 teams.

Two divisions is a big step up though...
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm

We could do with a supersub type striker, like what Omar did for us last season last season, also be able to step up when one of the front two are injured.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Dale Bennett is never a CB, he is far better used out wide as he is not tall and is quick.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Looks like no more coming in yet then. Cooper said there could have been 2 more in today. Would have been good to have some more options v Swindon to keep the momentum moving forward.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm

A mate in Truro tells me Cody Cooke is a very decent player, and he feels would do well at FGR. We will see, as he is under contract for this season, and it would need a transfer fee to release him now, but is a free agent come May.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 pm

New signing to be revealed this afternoon, reportedly...
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:27 pm

I missed the Port Vale match but I've seen the Swindon and Cambridge games.

Ruben Reid is a top player, on his way up not down. A perfect foil for Christian. He's a complete handful and draws defenders leaving space for other attackers. The focus is off Christian in a very good way.

Dayle Grubb is another addition on his way up not down. Ready to pick up scraps and attack, or feed or recycle. Very refreshing.

Thavon Campbell looks like another KW. I'm not underwhelmed.

The back 3 of Rawsin, Gunning and Hollis are a real improvement and with FR out at the moment it is clear that it was the right decision to sign 3 CBs to replace the two returned loanees.

Alex Whittle slotted into the left side yesterday without drama.

All in all I'm impressed and also very relieved. It's clear we can now properly compete in League 2. Over to you Mark to move us onwards and upwards.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 pm

To be fair this seemed like the biggest window of Cooper's time with us and set in arguably the most difficult circumstances. I know there are one or two more we'd like to see, but so far I'd say it's an his best with the defense looking much stronger, Grubb looking a real threat and an experienced foil for Doidge in the shape of Reid. If we can get one or two more over the line I'm sure we will be happy. If we are winning I think we will also be able to rest players more and give more time to players like Stevens. Am I getting carried away but everything looks much more positive and hopeful. Credit to Cooper for sticking to his staying in the stands, it seems to be working on many levels.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:37 pm

MC suggested there would be 2 more signings today .... is our goalkeeping coach one of them ???
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm

My only concern is that playing a 3-5-2 with Ossie, Dayle and Reece in the centre is going to leave us a little lightweight in there against the most physical teams. I like what Grubb has brought to the last few games, his hard work and willingness to shoot, but I also like the subtleties Reece brings and the fact that he can create and score goals - we NEED to create and score goals to win games and with Reid and Doidge up front, we have the firepower. But it does seem to put a lot of pressure on Ossie to win the physical battle on his own, although he was immense against Cambridge, or for Collins to 'step out' and help win the ball in midfield sometimes. I think Dayle and Reece are going to have to put themselves about a bit if the system is to be tight defensively.
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team