Page 2 of 7

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 pm
by Kentstripe
The current set of players have, since September, on the whole looked pretty competetive imo.

What's clear is that we're slightly lacking in one or two areas, central defence and also pacy support for Doidge being the obvious ones, and if, and it's a big if, these can be adressed I think we have the nucleas of a very decent side at this level.

I remember back in 08-09, halfway through the season JH managed to secure the signings of David Brown, Lee Ayres and Jerry Gill, and all in positions we were lacking. This helped to improve the performances of the rest of the team, eg Andy Mangan benefitting hugely from Brown's presence and Mark Preece from playing alongside Ayres'. A a result we had a better second half to the season and stayed up with a couple of games to spare, whilst also doing well in the cups.

It was all about quality, not quantity, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater and the same applies this season imo.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 pm
by The Cumbrian
Kentstripe wrote:
I remember back in 08-09, halfway through the season JH managed to secure the signings of David Brown, Lee Ayres and Jerry Gill, and all in positions we were lacking. This helped to improve the performances of the rest of the team, eg Andy Mangan benefitting hugely from Brown's presence and Mark Preece from playing alongside Ayres'. A a result we had a better second half to the season and stayed up with a couple of games to spare, whilst also doing well in the cups.


Excellent point KS, watching one game only it was difficult to see what Brown did, but his presence was very important. Gill was extremely influential in that side too (sorry I don't remember Ayres :? ). This type of player, who really know their way round the game, are so important when you have a lot of young players.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 am
by michael
KS -i sort of understand what you are saying-but this set of players who as you say have been competitive since september-has managed to get FGR bottom of the league.

because FGR are a better side than the past-its just so easy to forget that other teams are even better.

so many are still underestinating how different/difficult the EFL is to the national league.

i was and remain amazed at the difference-but i do now understand and acknowledge what a massive difference there is week on week .
its no good having an ok game one in five .(like a cup one off )

its week on week at a much higher level

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:06 am
by Kentstripe
It is a better standard, but if you look at the last 3 months we have only been beaten by more then a goal twice, and of those one was against Luton, where we were competetive. It's generally been pretty fine margins.

That's why I strongly believe that instead of bringing in a raft of new signings, what's really needed is 2-3 high quality experienced players, in key positions, that add that extra edge to the side and help improve players around them.

The squad we have is not far off being a very decent side, add a couple more players of similar calibre to Osbourne and I can see us surviving comfortably.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:12 am
by Chrisgump11
Largely agree with K/S. Callum Evans surprise and most effective return at Exeter has put the cat amongst the pigeons too as has Lee Collins emergence as the player we'd hoped for in August. Now that most are fit and returned from suspension it is harder to identify the real needs. Also, if Ozzy had been with us in August and Dan Wishart in the team earlier, things might have taken a different course

The younger players have developed too, several being overawed at the start of the season: Reece Brown, Jordan Stephens, Jordan Simpson, Jack Fitzwater, Alex I are all examples of players who have been playing well for 2 months. Injuries and suspensions, some unlucky, have affected recent form. I still have high hopes for Manny Monthe provided he gets the support a young player needs from both coaches and supporters

I'll stick to the areas of weakness rather than pointing to individuals:
1 The defence working as a cohesive unit - keeper & centre backs in the main - we have to cut out the needless risks and stop conceding goals from uncontested headers, the principal way we are losing games
2 Speed of passing in midfield & running at defences. If the centre backs and wing backs are allowed, why not our vaunted midfield talent?
3 Chronic shot avoidance. It cannot all be about creating the perfect goal for 'our man out top'. Since the defence became more parsimonious, creation of chances has evaporated and those who reach the penalty area always want one more pass ... Noticeably, we took pot shots at Exeter whenever the opportunity arose and looked more dangerous as a result

So, good luck Coops!

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:48 pm
by king giraffe III
Kentstripe wrote:It is a better standard, but if you look at the last 3 months we have only been beaten by more then a goal twice, and of those one was against Luton, where we were competetive. It's generally been pretty fine margins.

That's why I strongly believe that instead of bringing in a raft of new signings, what's really needed is 2-3 high quality experienced players, in key positions, that add that extra edge to the side and help improve players around them.


Problem is, getting quality, experienced players is tough when you're bottom at this stage of the season. This all could have been avoided if preparation for this season was as it should have been.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm
by Timb
It's all been a bit of an intense learning curve in many different respects since promotion in the summer.

The standard is definitely higher and it feels like that wasn't expected.

Getting "league quality" players in over the summer was perhaps more difficult than anticipated culminating in signing a centre back who hadn't played last season.

Liam "professional" Noble undermined the start of the season and I'm sure that wasn't expected from a player on a long contract.

The arrival of Isaiah Osbourne steadied the team and produced results and showed that we can play with our tactics, with the right players.

Isaiah getting injured illustrated how thin the squad is for this level.

I agree with KS's take on the situation. Harsh lessons dealt out to learn from. Bring in one or two cool heads not afraid to work hard, who are proven at this level, who the squad can play off and continue to learn.

Tomorrow is going to be hard work, but then who expected anything else.

Just under 27 hours to go.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:10 pm
by GETCARTER
Agree with KS -- at least 3 quality hardened pros are needed to take control of the side, influence and set the example. It will cost some serious money, but with some of the loanees going back now, it should clear some finances. The younger ones here would clearly benefit to a much greater degree than before, so its a double win-win whammy. A marquee signing would lift the club tremendously, and hopefully get the dissenters back on board - here's hoping !.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm
by twinkletoes
Thought we might have signed a couple of players from 2 divisions above not 2 divisions below, how naive am I!!!

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:09 pm
by king giraffe III
Timb wrote:It's all been a bit of an intense learning curve in many different respects since promotion in the summer.

The standard is definitely higher and it feels like that wasn't expected.

Getting "league quality" players in over the summer was perhaps more difficult than anticipated culminating in signing a centre back who hadn't played last season.

Liam "professional" Noble undermined the start of the season and I'm sure that wasn't expected from a player on a long contract.

The arrival of Isaiah Osbourne steadied the team and produced results and showed that we can play with our tactics, with the right players.

Isaiah getting injured illustrated how thin the squad is for this level.

I agree with KS's take on the situation. Harsh lessons dealt out to learn from. Bring in one or two cool heads not afraid to work hard, who are proven at this level, who the squad can play off and continue to learn.

Tomorrow is going to be hard work, but then who expected anything else.

Just under 27 hours to go.


Some of us who have watched League Two football were saying the writing was on the wall at the very start of the season. You have to question why MC didn't think the step up to League Two would be as big as it turned out to be. Signing a bench player from National North hardly fills me with confidence that any lessons have been learned.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:12 pm
by Tim13
twinkletoes wrote:Thought we might have signed a couple of players from 2 divisions above not 2 divisions below, how naive am I!!!


I have a strong feeling we may still be hampered by Financial Fair Play rules. I'd like to know the answer to that one way or the other and maybe the next 48/72 hours will give us a clue or two.

Tim

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:31 pm
by Tomiswalking
Okay, interesting start. Who is next?

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:40 pm
by GETCARTER
No not interesting - seems dull and boring so far.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:50 pm
by twinkletoes
When we signed Lee Hughes and Jon Parkin they were instantly recognised names and although both were in decline in football terms they committed themselves to the club and used their experience to motivate the younger and less skilled players to raise their games, besides chipping in with plenty of goals, something you don't get by signing unproven players from lower leagues.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:00 pm
by Tomiswalking
GETCARTER wrote:No not interesting - seems dull and boring so far.


Fair doos, I think it's quite high risk to choose 2 older players from leagues below. Also the club choosing to release this news first, when we are bottom of the league interests me.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:02 pm
by fgr2016
Financial fair play is not the reason.

Wolves have just blown 45million in 12 months and haven't been punished even though their operating income and profit comes no where close...If we are going to be done under those rules then there are far bigger fish to be handled first.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:12 pm
by The Jovial Forester
Though the FA way is precisely to punish the small offenders and turn a blind eye to the big clubs.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:31 pm
by camel
Isn't the FFP down to whether Eco / Dale 'gift' the money or 'loan' it or something? I'm sure Footyman could clarify.

I guess the point to a degree is we must have felt we had a credible business model to get further up the pyramid and surely that includes spending some money on players. We sold Pinnock for 500k+ and didn't really spend anything to bring players in during the summer, so hopefully there is a small war chest available.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:46 pm
by The Cumbrian
I see Coops has now said he will be signing from up the pyramid (although its a column at this level!) for more signings. There may be signings in the pipeline already but signings from the league cannot be completed (and therefore not appropriate to announce) until 1 Jan. May or may not be hangover cure for us all.

Re: New signings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:22 pm
by Timb
So, that's it, last game of 2017 over and done with and the next one is only hours away.

Time for MC and DV to work some magic.