All about our First Team

New signing

Postby SNJ Ash » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:37 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: New signing

Postby 20yrs and counting » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:56 pm

obvs very excited by any new signing but would have liked a been there done that league 2 level battler. Promising youth career let’s hope he is the way back up. Good age as well. Is he lb or rb?
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:18 pm

20yrs and counting wrote:obvs very excited by any new signing but would have liked a been there done that league 2 level battler. Promising youth career let’s hope he is the way back up. Good age as well. Is he lb or rb?

Oh, okay. So much for League Two experience. Free transfer from York is hardly inspirational or exciting. Hope I'm wrong.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:19 pm

York fans seem to rate him pretty highly but struggling to get into a team mid table 2 leagues below us hardly inspires.

Might kick Laird into some sort of form though, and maybe shows Cooper sees Wishart as more of a winger than a left back.
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:35 pm

by signing a 4 month contract-to end of season-suggests to me that he is very much on 'trial' ,and maybe MC does not have absolute confidence that it will work out.

--again-maybe not an obvious solution to the current problem of a serious dearth of real quality to drag FGR up the table but hope it proves inspirational for both parties
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Well it's a start I suppose.....

Hoping for more experienced and more exciting signings to come though!!!

If they are all of this nature, I for one will be seriously underwhelmed!!
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:50 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Well it's a start I suppose.....

Hoping for more experienced and more exciting signings to come though!!!

If they are all of this nature, I for one will be seriously underwhelmed!!

Well said Ledge. Spoke to a couple of York fans I know who haven't given a glowing reference. I'll keep an open mind and hopefully they are proved wrong.

Hoping we make some 'bigger' signings soon though and in the positions we look weaker in and which improves what we have. Wishart has done well at LB recently and deserves his place in my book. I think GK, CB, CM and a pacey attacker are the higher priorities, but what do I know ;)
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:09 pm

[quote="FGR-Ledge"

If they are all of this nature, I for one will be seriously underwhelmed!![/quote]

Does that mean you are not already!

I am so excited!!

From a PR point of view the first signing should be a WOW signing to give a massive uplift to the fans.

So far we have two mid twenty year olds both plying their trade at Level 6. One who is in his team every match whilst the other out of his side.

Would really be great to see a couple of signings from Level 2/3 even if on long term loan deals but experienced men not 19 year old second season pros who might have made an odd cup appearance.

Wish both Grubb and Whittle the best for obvious reasons.

Underwhelmed FGR Ledge is probably a word to yet be evaluated by many fans who are more direct in their postings.

Happy New Year.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby nwrover » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Notts county etc will be quaking in their boots with our signings to date.....

What tends to happen is we play them ( our experimental signings) for a few matches before discovering they are worse than what we have already sadly....usually they cost us a couple of goals on the way... Collins of course is still costing us goals but no one seems bothered anymore...we just accept it

That said I hope he is a great success and proves me wrong
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby nwrover » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Ps
Remember the excitement when we signed Tony Daley and that fellow who was the last person to score a ha trick v Man Utd ... qpr

Those were the days!

Just remembered.... Dennis bailey!
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Im glad he is the one buzzing !. Hardly a signing that is going to make me shout out from the rafters - bit concerned with him wanting to prove himself in L2 coming in on a free from a club well below us . But wish him all the best for his time with us.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby fgr2016 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:23 pm

Signing a defender that is currently out the team in the national north. and the previous year was in a defence that got relegated from the VNL. He didn't seem to do well in Scotland. 24 is no longer that young,if say if he was going to crack on he would have by now....

And then to listen to him..hardly seems thrilled to be here!! I hope I'm eating my words,I really do ,but based on the above... I can't see the logic here. Very worrying that this is the calibre we are attracting.

Grubb I understood because of the sheer number of goals he has scored. Wolves did the same with Kightly and Leicester with Vardy and it can pay off. But they were doing something special - their stats were screaming for a chance. But i can't see that this player has done anything particularly special enough to warrant such a risk.

There is a concerning lack of ambition in regards to transfers - DV needs to put his hand in his wallet.
Last edited by fgr2016 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm

What is the rationale behind signing a fullback from 2 leagues below??

"Because he's worth it" on a free?

All in the best Paahsible taste, of course.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:30 pm

Seems some are happy with his departure from York.

'What a great opportunity to put another relegation on his CV... nowhere near National League North standard let alone Football League. Won’t be missed.'

'Good...Dont ever come back'

'Ferguson's better'

'I'd offer to take him down there but he duck out of the car before we'd even set off.'

I can hear the scraping sound from the bottom of the barrel. :cry: But wasn't this going to be a likely scenario given where we are in the table? Just highlights how poor our summer transfer window was.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Give him a chance. Nobody got excited when Ethan Pinnock was signed from the Ryman League!
SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:41 pm

king giraffe III wrote:Seems some are happy with his departure from York.

'What a great opportunity to put another relegation on his CV... nowhere near National League North standard let alone Football League. Won’t be missed.'

'Good...Dont ever come back'

'Ferguson's better'

'I'd offer to take him down there but he duck out of the car before we'd even set off.'

I can hear the scraping sound from the bottom of the barrel. :cry: But wasn't this going to be a likely scenario given where we are in the table? Just highlights how poor our summer transfer window was.

Said many times on here how we will struggle to attract the calibre of player we want in January with where we are. The time to strike was in the summer. I hope miracles are worked but if we listed all of MCs signings in the last 18 months what proportion would be deemed a success? Then consider this in theory will be the most difficult of his tenure.

I hope Cooper has a reliable car. He needs to drive and meet players and make them feel very wanted and sell our story/his vision. That sort of thing goes a long way.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:48 pm

Big Jon up next from York perhaps, to assist Christian? That would seem a better deal to me if going barrel scraping as KG 111 succinctly put it with his York fans evidence.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:51 pm

SNJ Ash wrote:Give him a chance. Nobody got excited when Ethan Pinnock was signed from the Ryman League!

Difference is Pinnock was 5 years younger starting every game, and was heavily rated by his club and watched by many league clubs!

Pinnock was universally received by us as a very good signing, you cannot compare this latest signing with Pinnock!

Expecting some much more impressive signings to come, otherwise I think you will see a lot of disgruntled FGR fans, Cooper is not on solid ground at the moment, and he needs to back his ideas up and improve this side sufficiently now for us to survive!!

Was not impressed with Cooper's Summer signings and was clear about that then, any repeat of that charade and I will not have any more faith in Cooper, and think he is not the man for our club, I'm struggling to not think that already which is why this transfer window is so vital for our club.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby tommyd » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:55 pm

This signing is a risk and the fact he can't get in a team 2 leagues bellow doesn't make it seem like one that might pay off. This is hardly a time to take a chance on players, what we need is experience and proven quality but as has been said it's most likely too late to be able toattract that... the more I think about it the more I think we're going down. Being a novelty club may be enough in the conference but we lack real footballing leadership to mix with the big boys...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Big Jon up next from York perhaps, to assist Christian? That would seem a better deal to me if going barrel scraping as KG 111 succinctly put it with his York fans evidence.

I'm wondering if the rationale of the Whittle signing is to divert the stick Charlie gets to another player. :lol:
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team