Match thread from Sincil Bank (Lincoln City FC)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from Sincil Bank (Link City FC)

Postby Philpot » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:15 pm

tommyd wrote:I get fed up of people saying we were the better team or we put in a good performance. we create very few chances and knocking it about at the back when teams are happy enough to let you is not being the better team! Being the better team is creating more chances to score for goodness sake...

Yep. All we do is a complex game of piggy in the middle
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Match thread from Sincil Bank (Link City FC)

Postby Philpot » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:16 pm

Look how easy it is for our opponents to keep us by our own corner flag with a few minutes to go
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Match thread from Sincil Bank (Lincoln City FC)

Postby michael » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:15 pm

do i recall correctly that a few months ago Mr Cooper said that 'because of the way we play, the players will make mistakes and we have to allow for that ?

I am sure that is correct and i am not imagining it.

The players have thus responded to his instructions/coaching impeccably
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Green Jimmy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:33 pm

The game at L*****n just summed us up for me. I don't want to go into the tactics they use or how unsportsmanlike they are but we are the complete opposite. We are far too easy to beat. Cooper has said again and again that it is individual errors but that is because of how we play. Poor Brad in goal is being set up to fail. Anyone who went to L*****n will have seen that for each goal kick we left two players on the edge of the 18 for a potential short ball (we did not utilize this for 90mins) but just further up was three opposition players, two wingers ready to attack the two we put on the edge and then their striker free in the middle. There was then a further 10-15 yards to the rest of the players. So as soon as Brad took a bad kick they were going to be 3 on 2. They win a header and they are 3 on 2. It was awful. Worse still is as soon as they scored the second we stopped doing it.

Cooper continually talks about his players and how he can't protect them but the set up at times is astonishingly bad. I have just finished listening to the interviews from the game and one of their players was asked about our possession and said why would they be worried about a team passing it sideways,

We need a John Parkin type striker to support Doidge and a keeper and we may just stay in this league.

Wycombe next up, lets hope for a response
Green Jimmy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tommo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Good post Green Jimmy. I wasn't there but I understand exactly what you mean.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Jimmy
Dunno you but good Post
Just think of how many more goals that not just Doidge would score if there was a bit of muscle alongside him
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:22 pm

Just think how much less our defensive gifts would matter if we were a little more adventurous in the final third and created more shooting opportunities, and likely goals, to offset them.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Too occasional fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Plus as has been said, why worry against a team that passes sideways. If we actually attacked when we were moving forwards the defences would treat us differently.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Laird and Monthe, and to a degree Bennett and Wishart, are all comfortable carrying the ball...why not instruct them to carry it further, run at the opposition, more chance of fouls and free kicks within shooting range or a deflected shot for a corner. We need to be more confident and create more, at present our approach looks somewhat similar to constipation!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Previous

Return to FGR First Team