Mark my words the gloves are off

All about our First Team

Re: Mark my words the gloves are off

Postby Too occasional fan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:09 pm

Surely it might be a bit narcissistic to refer to your own post as considered (that’s how I read your last post - as referring to the original one). It might have been better to let someone else do that?

As has been said elsewhere, it is a forum, which will lead to robust discourse. Que sera.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:16 pm

FootieMan wrote:Again another considered post hijacked for personal gain. Crikey if the points some think they scored in their posts we would be top of the league!

It has nothing to do with vegans, badges or kit nor what it was like in the past, including financial meltdown. Plus Chris using Phil Mitchell’s name when you see his responses just shows how your post is so far from reality.

Most people who support the club are simple folk and are lost on science so likewise KGIII whilst I might understand your binary post it will be over the top of most people.

I have never criticised players or management but unless it escaped anyone’s attention we are bottom of the division with half the season played. .

I compare ourselves to Barnet on so many fronts and it will be interesting to see how each Mark fares plus their respective owners.

Respect is earned and if we are going to survive we have to be in it together but sadly the evidence is clear that many are pulling in opposite directions.

And bluntly each will be judged on their own actions whatever their role in the club. Time for some to grow up and apply themselves to the task in hand. So if the cap fits, wear it!

With regard to the binary post, one reason for it was that people who are interested would take the time to decipher it rather than being fed a translation. There's a message there in more ways than one.

Rather than accusing people of being distant from reality and suggesting pure self interest consider why people are pulling in different directions. If nobody takes the time to understand, those differences will just become deeper.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:Throughout the last 20-25 years, Rovers have been in worse positions than this. And picking holes is hardly helping unity. Such a surprise to see KG's views expressed so quickly on the theme

As a supporter of some 32-33 years, I have not known the club is such good shape, so well supported and with such good infrastructure. An ageing typical gate of 600-900 has been replaced by a family dominated 2,500+. Not to the liking of a vociferous tiny minority apparently. But then the traditional footballing elite are famous for their far sighted, inclusive attitudes are they not?

So what have the Romans done for us? Sorry Dale Vince
1 saved the club from imminent financial ruin
2 invested in the entire structure of the club - including female section and academy, back office and admin, stadium improvements, non-football activities, raising the profile of the club by huge amounts, producing multi-award affordable catering
3 achieving EFL 2 football
4 amazing community initiative like the Ambassador programme which has done so much to embed the club in the community
4 tons more but you get my drift

Is there room for improvement? Of course there is and mistakes have been made aplenty. But then, in the 1990s most of the challenges now facing our hamlet club were a far off dream. Clinging on to hard won status while small gates ever in decline is a different world and not one wreaking of success

At my age and length of support, I might be expected to be conservative and reactionary. What do I think about veganism, change of badge, change of shirts and so on?

Well I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian but the point is irrelevant. The food at FGR is good tasty food at sensible prices and I do not begrudge the change. The traditional footballista has always been slow to change but many different sports bodies now recognise the sense of footballers conducting themselves as athletes, with diet an important element. Let alone that we have a population beset by obesity. Is 90 minutes once a fortnight so hard to 'swallow'? Besides non vegan food can be brought to the ground anyway if fans are so desperate for a meat 'n milk fix

The badge and shirt? I am old enough to remember Rovers turning out in a sickly all green, let alone black & white stripes. The black and green looks great to my eye and judging by those who wear the shirts off the field, most supporters too. At Wembley on both occasions, the green and black stood out so well that the Grimsby and Tranny hordes were less conspicuous. And the badge - I prefer the roundel, well designed badge to the insipid Barcelona clone any day. My opinion, I am entitled. But ask our average core of 2000+ supporters and I am sure I'd be in the vast majority

So, if you really believe in unity stop carping and adopt the Phil Mitchell mantra after the Newport defeat. GET BEHIND THE TEAM & THE CLUB

About time someone spoke some sense
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FootieMan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:Surely it might be a bit narcissistic to refer to your own post as considered (that’s how I read your last post - as referring to the original one). It might have been better to let someone else do that?

As has been said elsewhere, it is a forum, which will lead to robust discourse. Que sera.

TOF
My simple reason of posting again was to identify what problems currently exist all across the forum, where recently everything goes off line and ends up in personal abuse.

If people kept to the substantive matter of the thread then I would not seek to repeat myself. By the time the (abuse) has started, people joining later have no idea what the thread was about.
Just take time, read a few threads, to see what I mean. Nothing narcissistic about it at all.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm

Or even better, list out all the different directions that people are pulling in and then maybe you might start getting to where it is you want to go, or should I say where the club should set it's heading.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Timb wrote:Or even better, list out all the different directions that people are pulling in and then maybe you might start getting to where it is you want to go, or should I say where the club should set it's heading.

:D
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Too occasional fan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:56 pm

FootieMan wrote:
Too occasional fan wrote:Surely it might be a bit narcissistic to refer to your own post as considered (that’s how I read your last post - as referring to the original one). It might have been better to let someone else do that?

TOF
My simple reason of posting again was to identify what problems currently exist all across the forum, where recently everything goes off line and ends up in personal abuse.

If people kept to the substantive matter of the thread then I would not seek to repeat myself. By the time the (abuse) has started, people joining later have no idea what the thread was about.
Just take time, read a few threads, to see what I mean. Nothing narcissistic about it at all.

Hi footieman.

I’m glad that you are in a hotel far, far away, and that you are a Life Member of the club. These add gravitas to you identifying for us the problems that exist all across the forum.

Threads are like conversations. They don’t always stick to the point(s) made in the original post. Such is life. Personally, I’d like to think that people posting on this or any forum know that and post accordingly as the thread develops. However I do understand your viewpoint on this.

If you think this forum is bad, you need to go look at other football club forums. That’s not to excuse behaviour on here but to point out that this forum is pretty good as a forum. Blood pressure rises as the club that we support suffers. The current regime is no different to previous regimes in that respect and is it disingenuous to look back to the past and state everything was rosy. If it was then the previous regime would still be in place. This forum has a few posters that are a small minority of the total number of people that attend matches. Most people I talk to do not follow this forum. It is a litmus paper for feeling at the club but is not definitive.

We are where we are and the club is largely at the mercy of its owners. That’s always been the case. Most football fans have views on how teams should be made up and how they should play. Sometimes those views coalesce into a greater conscience, and that seeems to me to be what is happening here. More crisitcism of the manager and his tactics, less support and sympathy for the regime in place.

From what I have seen, we play pretty football in our half and a little way into the opponents, and we don’t score goals. We let the opposition score through mistakes and poor set pieces.. We are bottom of the table and we need not to be. We need to not be bottom of the table but to do that we need to score goals and defend well. The dream of the football league is at risk, and change is needed. If the manager can provide that change, great. If he cannot then the Chairman has to.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:07 pm

TOF
I would agree with almost 100% of your post but whilst I have been an integral cog in the wheels that turned for 20 yrs please do not alledge that I have been indigenous that the past was rosy. Believe you me it never was and is certainly not now. And unless you have been at the sharp end you do not comprehend what can be thrown at you on a daily basis.

I just hope that our supporters can be one voice, even when they have differing points of view. Sadly many do not have the ability to discuss things in a rational way. There is no place for personal abuse.

Enough said I will get on with my current work and wish the team all the best for tomorrow.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby stroud green » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:13 pm

Get the custard creams out Barbs. It's all going off on the forum...
Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:19 am

FootieMan wrote:wish the team all the best for tomorrow.

Too right.

Fingers crossed.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Previous

Return to FGR First Team