Team News v Woking (H)

All about our First Team

Re: Team News v Woking (H)

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:38 pm

With such a unusual and small defence hardiker lead them well and was great all game. Les was very good, ran past players, played a good ball for celi goal and is starting to find more end product.
Celi looked better and put some great balls through which is great to see, and also he keeps scoring.
Burton was very lucky with their disallowed goal, very rash decision to come out but hardiker was back.
Fleets should of scored more but took his arguably hardest chance very well, maybe we cant get playoffs but keep winning and it'll be an interesting end to season.
Jay
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:43 pm

MoM for me was Les Afful, earned in the first half alone. He carved up all-comers, retrieved well to help out our defenders and stormed through neatly to provide Adriano's goal.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:45 pm

We missed Jonah and Gilo but the defence held up well and Woking rarely threatened. Hardiker was his usual cool self and didn't put a foot wrong. My MOTM.

First half we had time on the ball and coasted through. Second half Woking were sharper, gave us less time and we needed to work hard to get that goal. Overall we were the better team. Celi supplied Fleets with plenty of through balls - he scored the important one and on his day would have had a hat trick.

Glad Terry played - well done
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby greenstripe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:52 pm

What a difference a goal makes, we were cruising to slightly frustrating draw until Stewart made a good finish.

It was a far more open game and a far more entertaining one than Tuesdays nights.
Woking were a poor side compared to York. The fact we still had huge difficulties getting quality ball into box tells where we need to improve and strengthen before next August. None the less we did make more chances. Fleets missing Three good chances before he got his goal. The defence kept their line better than Tuesday despite the make shift appearance.

Les turned from hero to villain (I think it was Les) giving away a free kick in almost the same place as the one that led top the first goal on Tuesday. The free kick was again well taken. Earlier it was a great ball from Les that led to Celi finding the net again.

A welcome three further points ensuring we stay on course for a good finish. But lots a work to do before we can be happy with where were at.
subsisto verus
greenstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Pitchfork wrote:Glad Terry played - well done

But would you have been so happy had Hardiker not been back to force the offside player to play the ball during Burton's rush of blood near the end? He couldn't line up the wall any better than Robbo on Tuesday and his kicking was no better. He played ok and well done for coming in and doing his bit but is he really the long term answer?
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Could'nt make it today due to work commitment. Fantastic result especially with the comeback by Salisbury to share the point. Look forward to ready any reports from those that made it and well done for a good turn out which was mreater than anyone predicted.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Postby Joycie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:10 pm

glad we got the final goal to earn us three points. i didn't think we would lose it unless there would be another opportunity with a free kick. burton did okay however it could of been different if the rash decision he made to collect the ball in the air had proved costly. lawless had a quiet game and i hope tonks injury is not too bad as his experience and ability will be a real miss however stonehouse did quite well when he replaced him winning a few tackles and fighting hard to remain at the club for next season - however i'm not sure he'll be able to cover fully in the left back position depending on the amount of time tonkin is out for. hardiker lead well as he always does and brough did well braving his injuries in the centre of defence. clist and pitman did their job in the centre and afful had another great game up and down the right wing. maybe he deserves a starting place on the right wing against his former employers on monday at plainmoor. welsh wasn't too effective today with some wrong decision making sometimes but there is still a lot to come from him. celi grabbed his goal well and was a hassle for their defence and hopefully his partnership with stuart will click especially for monday at torquay. and well done to fleets who had been cancelled out by their keeper all afternoon to finally score with a nice strike near the end to give us a helpful three points. the crowd number was pleasing also compared to the last two home games recently.

also further congratulations to stuart fleetwood who i think is now joint second place for conference goals as an FGR player with alex sykes on 26 goals. 20 more to go if he wants to equal alex meechan's record....!
Joycie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby charles » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Good game today we played some good football,
I thought everyone had a good game,
We defended well Hardiker was our best player,
But in the last 2 games we have let in 2 goals from fre kicks, but to be fair this time it was a great free kick,
and as fair as the wall Jim doesnt let the keepers line the wall up, Celi does it
Thought Burton had a good game, kicked well and came for a few crosses and commanded his area well, The only thing he did wrong was at the end, there big centre half beat him in the air to the ball, but to be fair it looked like it holded up in the wind,
So i would DEF keep Burton in goal for Monday,
=id have Burton in front of Robbo in goal any day..

LETS TRY AND GET BEHIND THE TEAM AND WHO KNOWS............
charles
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Yep, a good win against a limited and over physical Woking side, though we made hard work of it. As usual, lots of the ball, lots of pretty passing but not enough decisiveness in the last third. Having said that, thought Celi and Les did well in the final third, Les was all action in the 1st half in particular and Celi held the ball up and did better with it at his feet than he has been in recent games - still think he needs to put his height and weight to better use though.

Thought the Woking goalie made some excellent saves or SSF would have had more goals, as it was the one was enough and he took it really well. Terry kept well, kicked well and made only one real error, which we fortunately weren't punished for. I would keep him in goal.

For me, Hardiker MOTM, with honourable mentions to Afful, Pitman and Clist. A good all round team performance, but you feel we will need another 10-15% to beat Torquay. There is still a lot to play for and our football is still good to watch.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby bristol-FGR » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:30 pm

Made it a lot harder today than it really needed to be but a win is a win and at this stage of the season thats as much as we can do so well done lads!

Marks out of 10:
Burton 6: decent but still doesn't fill you with confidence, esp when he rushed out for their disallowed goal!
Tonks 7: solid, esp after tues performance, big loss if he's injured for a while
Lawless 7: not the best defender but looks bright and creative going forward
Brough 7: clearly not his best position but didnt look out of place
Hardiker 8: very good and marshalled the defence well
Welsh 6: flattered to deceive a little by beating one man and not crossing well
Afful 8: very good, beat his man well and was very lively and didnt flatter to deceive as he has done in the past
Clist 7: usual Clist, dont notice him too much but you dont half miss him when he's not there!
Pitman 7: solid, unlucky to be booked but we missed him in first half v York
Celi 7: back somewhere nearing his better self, some lovely balls for Fleets and even spotted him sprinting!
Fleets 6: didnt think he had a great game, missed three (?) one on ones but to be fair to him and the sign of a gd striker he popped up when it mattered...still a legend!

Looking forward to heading down to Torquay for a game we surely need to win. Would like to see Gilo and Jonah back but would be happy to see the rest of the team stay the same.

COME ON ROVERS!!!
bristol-FGR
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Havelock » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:43 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
Lady Magpie wrote:Get in Fleetwood makes it 2 - 1 to Rovers.

Then gets booked for taking his shirt off, you would think that referee Amy Raynor would have enjoyed that.

H

There is no mention of Fleet's yellow on the BBC live text or results pages, was it just a telling off that the commentator thought would be a yellow.

Just watched Fleets slot the ball home and take his shirt off, he did get booked, perhaps she ... Mind you Lady Havelock uttered 'Put it away boy!' Oh I do like my Lady ...
<*))))>< Well how well that could describe our life, we sing the cross ><((((*>
Havelock
First Team
First Team

Postby Green Lantern » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:00 pm

So , is the play-offs dream still on ? I would like to think so after today's performance. I thought every team member had a good game , two that really stood out for me was Les Afful and Alex Lawless. Les was particularly effective in the first half ,he turned various Woking defenders inside out , and Alex had a really steady game , looking strong when going forward. But what was that wall all about ? Is this a new tactic , leaving a gaping hole slap bang in the middle of the wall for the keeper to cover ? I don't think I've seen a wall lined up so badly. A win at Torquay on Monday - a distinct possibility following today's effort - and the play-offs loom large again.
Green Lantern
Youth
Youth

Postby Greeners » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi
A couple of things about walls.
I believe the keeper should be able to see the ball, and the gap can tempt the player taking the kick to place it there.
Imagine a wall blocking the keepers view, the first time he sees it it is hafway to him, less if the kick is on the edge of the 16yd box.

If the kick is that near I would be interested in seeing the result of having the wall back on the goal line and the keeper in front of it. Mind you it needs some tall players who are good with their heads.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Sledge » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:04 pm

So , is the play-offs dream still on ?

That would need teams like Exeter and Burton to slip up, and looking at our recent form as a whole I think we are the more likely of the three to do so.
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby View From The Pitch » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Ok from my point of view Woking are a vrey hard team to break down and are a really big team. I don't really know what i thought of woking maybe unpredictable in some ways.Their goalkeeper was brilliant for them to be fair mad a few brilliant saves expecially from Fleets when he was 1 on 1.

Now from an FGR point of view. We really wanted to win this game to keep our play off hopes alive and they still are.
JH sticking by Adriano is really paying off i think that is 5 goals in 5 games for him now and today really gave 100%.
For me everyone on the pitch today gave all they had. Even though Woking were phisical i thought we coped very well.
Fleets goal was stunning and that could be the goal that makes the play offs a real possability again. He did get booked for it but hey who cares if it gets us into the play offs i don't think anyone will. El Tel did ok only 1 mistake for me which led to the offside goal but apart from that he was fine. I must say monday is a game where i think we will get 3 points.
Amy was ok i thought got a few wrong but don't most ref's.

I know 1 of the things that the players are unhappy about is the amount of people turning up. I know the ones who do make a great amount of noise. But we can get many more in come on guys.

See you at Torquay.
. Goals are dreams with deadlines.
.Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.
.Goals are not only absolutely necesary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us and dreams alive.
View From The Pitch
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:43 am

Have to disagree with Sledge, didn't think the game was at all dull, the first half was certainly the better of the two but it passed by in a flash...usually the sign of an entertaining game...it was the best half of footy I have seen from Rovers for a fair while.
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Sledge » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:37 am

Fair enough

Re people turning up, I make our average attendance 1208 now. We'll be lucky to end the season above 1200.
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:39 pm

What was our average last season - about 1150? Maybe we can still finish above that.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Old Git » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Check out the average attendance for last year and this year leaving out the Oxford game??? I think our support is still on the up but it will be peaks and troughs. Its been debated many times before but Rome was'nt built in a day. Its a great season whatever the outcome.
If Forest Green Rovers get in the football league then Pigs can fly !!!
Old Git
First Team
First Team

Postby Greeners » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi
Sledge wrote:Fair enough

Re people turning up, I make our average attendance 1208 now. We'll be lucky to end the season above 1200.

That would require fewer than 814 for each of the remaining 3 home games, by my reckoning.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team