Definition of a Rovers fan

All about our First Team

Re: Definition of a Rovers fan

Postby tommyd » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 am

Timb wrote:TommyD can you list the concessions you have had to make as an FGR supporter?

Well there's the obvious like the food, badge, shirts etc and whilst I personally am not too bothered about those, they are a big part of what makes a football club oh and the terrible new mascot. Then there's the constant vegan pushing and use of the club that I only see as a football club as a novelty advertising tool, the fact football has become a bit of a secondary or at least a less important issue at the club. Then there's all the other stuff that's been taken away, the little things that make one feel like a part of the club such as the end of season supporters matches at the lawn etc. The fact we have less input as fans but also there's a lot less output from the club exacerbating the feeling of being distanced from the club.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Cotswold farmer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:10 am

tommyd wrote:
Timb wrote:TommyD can you list the concessions you have had to make as an FGR supporter?

Well there's the obvious like the food, badge, shirts etc and whilst I personally am not too bothered about those, they are a big part of what makes a football club oh and the terrible new mascot. Then there's the constant vegan pushing and use of the club that I only see as a football club as a novelty advertising tool, the fact football has become a bit of a secondary or at least a less important issue at the club. Then there's all the other stuff that's been taken away, the little things that make one feel like a part of the club such as the end of season supporters matches at the lawn etc. The fact we have less input as fans but also there's a lot less output from the club exacerbating the feeling of being distanced from the club.

Good ,honest points well made and something I feel too.
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby doggy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:38 am

Standing in the top left of the North stand , in a blizzard, 6 of us like a pack of sheep, shivering, only to see us lose on a Tuesday night to Newport in an FA trophy replay with 300 other nutters!!
doggy
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 pm

You can't buy burgers made from offal any more.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:You can't buy burgers made from offal any more.

Yes quite, they taste offal

The skittles alley going was rather a blow as well :oops:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby mauler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Les Offul?

I have a sense of deja vu about this post.
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby Foggy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Luke O'Liver?
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby mauler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm

you win foggy - far superior no kid(ney)ing you.
mauler
First Team
First Team

Postby Cotswold farmer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:39 am

Silver Surfer wrote:You can't buy burgers made from offal any more.

The burgers I eat and ive seen my local butcher make them aren't offal that's just cheap prepacked rubbish if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby Silver Surfer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 am

My local butcher also makes his own burgers and they are delicious. The ones sold at football grounds are always rubbish.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 am

I had a meat burger at Crawley recently, and i swear it was made of carpet.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiemonster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:22 am

At the other end of the scale the pork roll at Chesterfield was top notch, complete with stuffing, crackling AND apple sauce
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm

I attended my first FGR game in the early 1980s, although I was an 'occasional' then and have probably only been a 'regular' since I stopped playing sport, roughly since we moved to TNL.

I turn up to watch my football team. I try not to worry too much about the wider club issues that I have zero control over. I generally support the green ethos the club now promotes and despite our precarious current league position, I do think these are great times for the club. I can live without meat for a couple of hours a fortnight (as long as I get a bag of samosas from Girish!), I preferred the old badge, hate the new one and preferred black and white stripes. Our contrived new nickname is cringeworthy and the mascot even more so. But these are small issues really. The only real 'concession' I make is risking hypothermia each February :lol:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 pm

SkunkMan wrote: I preferred the old badge, hate the new one

But your avatar though?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 pm

SkunkMan wrote:

I attended my first FGR game in the early 1980s, although I was an 'occasional' then and have probably only been a 'regular' since I stopped playing sport, roughly since we moved to TNL.

I turn up to watch my football team. I try not to worry too much about the wider club issues that I have zero control over. I generally support the green ethos the club now promotes and despite our precarious current league position, I do think these are great times for the club. I can live without meat for a couple of hours a fortnight (as long as I get a bag of samosas from Girish!), I preferred the old badge, hate the new one and preferred black and white stripes. Our contrived new nickname is cringeworthy and the mascot even more so. But these are small issues really. The only real 'concession' I make is risking hypothermia each February :lol:

Never tried the samosas. Are they hot?

Green Devils... Does anyone actually call us that, beyond the regime?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
SkunkMan wrote:

Never tried the samosas. Are they hot?

Green Devils... Does anyone actually call us that, beyond the regime?

They are pretty spicy to be fair - but everyone I have introduced them to thinks they are delicious, including my 6 year old :lol: And not bad value at 4 for a fiver.

I don't think I have ever heard us referred to as the 'Green Devils' by anyone? The idea that a corporate can simply give a football club a new nickname and expect it to stick is both hilarious and ludicrous. At least Sunderland let their fans vote on their slightly contrived 'Blackcats' nickname :roll:
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 pm

I've seen a number of media outlets, including foreign ones, as well as other clubs use the Green Devils tag.

I think that the idea has been to gradually increase it's usage, and eventually get to the point where it will have been around long enough for most people to associate it with the club, even if it isn't used much by actual fans.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Kentstripe wrote:I've seen a number of media outlets, including foreign ones, as well as other clubs use the Green Devils tag.

I think that the idea has been to gradually increase it's usage, and eventually get to the point where it will have been around long enough for most people to associate it with the club, even if it isn't used much by actual fans.

Exactly - those who know little or nothing about the club.

Certainly not FGR fans - I have never spoken to any that like it.

I really hope this nickname DOESN'T catch on, as its conception was nonsense.
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:22 pm

I can't stand the GD fake nickname, they are things that the fans give to a team and not as pointed out above some corporate hell-bent on rebranding something. To be trying to copy another team that uses devils as part of its nickname represents a dreadful lack of originality and amounts to little more than plagiarism at its worst. Be original or don't bother, we have some pretty decent nicknames already.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Timb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:20 pm

That's an interesting list of concessions.

Personally I dont see or feel that any if them are concessions that I've had to make.

I think the pitch is still available for a post season supporters match.

As for the food I do concede that it's now miles better than it was, but there's still massive room for improvement. The samosas are mighty fine too. Give them a try LG.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team