Defensive duo join FGR

All about our First Team

Re: Defensive duo join FGR

Postby The Cumbrian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:13 am

Mad Gav looks a bit of a character at least, if he can perform as well that will be great.

It's a start, attracting players to an unfashionable side at the bottom of the league can't be easy, but probably more likely to bring in those that are up for the fight (to stay up, not a brawl!), rather than those who cannot cope when the heat is on, of which we have had a few in the days when we were at the top of the Conference.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Cumbrian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:48 am

Mad Gav looks a bit of a character at least, if he can perform as well that will be great.

It's a start, attracting players to an unfashionable side at the bottom of the league can't be easy, but probably more likely to bring in those that are up for the fight (to stay up, not a brawl!), rather than those who cannot cope when the heat is on, of which we have had a few in the days when we were at the top of the Conference.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:19 am

These look like decent signings to me but they are only replacing Iacovitti and Fitzwater and are not necessarily better than those two - thogh they will be more experienced and so, I guess, more resilient in a battle.

But with Grubb replacing Bugeil and Whittle a squad player - presumably - we still have a lot to do in the transfer window. If Doidge leaves there will be money but time and available players will run out and we won't get a better player than Doidge. Maybe Rhys Murphy will be pressed back into service - or has he gone already.

We also need a goalie to replace Russell and a striker to replace James (assuming he is off) and to support Doidge (if he stays). It all feels a bit desperate, late and probably inadequate.

I'm hoping that we see Grubb as well as the two new centre backs at some point on Saturday so we can start to make an assessment of what we have got but we need more.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:32 am

garyjj wrote:Two very promising signings, to add to grubb, not sure about the other lad but why the hell didn't we do this in the summer? I definitely think we wouldn't be where we are now if we made signings like this. I'm definitely far more confident of survival now, just need to keep doidge.

Reading Cooper's comments, it sounds like we DID try to get Rawson in the summer?

But you're right, I think, these are the sort of players we needed to sign last July, not the young loanees we got.

It always amuses me when we sign a player to read the comments on t'internet about how good (or otherwise) they are - in the case of Dawson, Steve Evans is cited as saying he was a 'future Premier League player' whilst one Accrington fan on Twitter claims he is 'one of worst defenders I've seen at Accrington...' :lol:

Similarly mixed comments about Gunning - as an Aberdeen Occasional, I think I recall him from his Dundee United days as being a 'no-nonsense' type of player.

Hopefully both have the physicality that it has quickly become evident is almost essential in this league.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:40 pm

My mate at Derby just left me a positive message about Rawson. Seems like we have a good’n there. He’ll need to find his feet quickly with us though
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 pm

The Running Rover wrote:On paper, these seem like great signings. Now all we need are some clean sheets to back that up...

Clean sheet it is then. Well done boys... :)
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Tommo wrote:My mate at Derby just left me a positive message about Rawson. Seems like we have a good’n there. He’ll need to find his feet quickly with us though

Judging by his performance today he found both of them...looks pretty comfortable using his head too!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Very impressed by the defensive duo's first performance - to keep a clean sheet against a team that scored 4 against Luton is an excellent achievement.

Credit too for Bradley Collins - safer hands, better kicking and confident shot stopping.

EBI - distribution needs to be quicker at times, especially with Reid and Doidge on the halfway line
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:37 pm

why is Gav 'mad' ?

looked anything but to me.

very cool and collected
was suitably impressed
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager