Defensive duo join FGR

All about our First Team

Re: Defensive duo join FGR

Postby herbie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:09 pm

All well and good making two good defensive signings, but they still have a clown behind them.
herbie
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 pm

herbie wrote:All well and good making two good defensive signings, but they still have a clown behind them.

Think we'll have a new keeper in very shortly.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Delighted! Gavin and Faz come with good pedigree, played for big clubs, have height and a good age. Can see both starting Sat. Prob withCollins in btw them. Hopefully this will allow Wish and ,if fit, Bennett to use their pace further up the pitch.

Being greedy I would like a keeper, hope more irons in the fire as King transfer fell through. Also another Osborne would be nice, let’s hope Traore fit. Maybe another striker / winger. Very happy with today’s news.
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 pm

doggy wrote:................. but tactics have to change, we have to be more positive even when playing out from back, please please just more movement and willingness to want ball would be a start and the odd ball down the middle wouldn’t go amiss!

SImple isn't it doggy? But I agree with you 100%.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Rich E » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Great, what's not to like about these two? Welcome and best wishes.
Rich E
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Phil_mitchell » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Kentstripe wrote:All clubs do it tbf Phil Mitchell, even Swansea.

These look like good signings, both no nonsense and know this league.

People keep going on about things being desperate, yes the league position is poor and needs sorting urgently but we're not cut adrift and we're not about to go into financial meltdown, and are signing quite a few players. Could be a lot worse.

I know mate the kids love it I'm just a miserable old **** these days.
Mr negative seems to be my name these days.

I've looked up on both players they seem very very good signings I love the sound of the lad from PV, my sort of bloke.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby garyjj » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Two very promising signings, to add to grubb, not sure about the other lad but why the hell didn't we do this in the summer? I definitely think we wouldn't be where we are now if we made signings like this. I'm definitely far more confident of survival now, just need to keep doidge.
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 pm

These are good signings - not great signings. We shall have to see how they fit into MCs master plan. Really need a couple of quality experienced performers now, both for the club and the fans. Interesting to hear from one of them that the Gaffer said this season is survival, and next is promotion. ( Can i order another pair of rose-tinted glasses from NFROVER as mine have nearly given up the ghost and gone misty ).
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby gasthegonad » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Quote;
Primarily a left-sided and left-footed centre-back, his wholehearted approach and eccentric personality earned him the nickname "Mad Gav Gunning".
gasthegonad
Youth
Youth

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Welcome to the mad-house then.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Mate of mine knows the Derby academy really well and his view is we've got a great player and should simply "chuck him straight in on Saturday" !
T50 BOS
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Good news, in my opinion pinnock and Clough have not been replaced with players of equal strength. Until now I hope.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Well, it's a start - some size and experience at the back, though numbers-wise they are essentially replacing Iacovitti and Fitzwater.

Pleased to see players who seem to have the right pedigree at last. Let's hope they settle quickly.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Agree with everyone above-and makes the summers failings even more frustrating.

(even got my wish to sign anyone as long as they are at least 6'3'')

some cause for optimism over next few months-but far from a given.

that said -best part to me is that they have 18 month contracts. so even if FGR are relegated-they would be stellar in national league -and as tommo says-clough and racine and pinnock were never adequately replaced (Lee collins is fine though ).
That given-i suspect they have 'release clauses' in contracts if FGR are relegated -

I wonder if they can play in tuesdays cup game-i can't be bothered to search-wonder if they are cup tied ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:02 pm

next priority for me is a 6,1'' strong central midfield player.

any other signing is then a bonus.
not desperate for a goalkeeper even--if he would play him-nothing wrong with Russsell, and i suspect in front of a better defence/midfield who stopped the opposition running through them--it would re-invigorate Brad Collins if MC insisted on playing Collins in goal.
He is a reasonable keeper -and in many instances-its the poor defending-especially at set pieces-that has exposed him.

so yep-a really good central midfield player-and FGR at least become competitive
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 am

michael wrote:(even got my wish to sign anyone as long as they are at least 6'3'')

Oddly the club site has Farrend at 6 foot 3, yet wiki has him at 6'4. Maybe the confusion is because 6'4 on Wiki is claimed to be 193cm however 193cm converts to 6'33 :lol:

Look like good signings to me, Gav seems to have some detractors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDA44hNZ5s :oops:
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby twinkletoes » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:42 am

Excellent interview by Farrend Rawson and if he can take that positivity and enthusiasm on to the pitch will be a massive plus for FGR.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Mothy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:03 am

michael wrote:next priority for me is a 6,1'' strong central midfield player.

so yep-a really good central midfield player-and FGR at least become competitive

Completely agree. The fact Cooper even gets on the pitch shows how poor we are in this area.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby Cotswold farmer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:35 am

Good luck to both of them a bit of grit and steel with some nous something we have been sadly lacking
Cotswold farmer
Youth
Youth

Postby Phil_mitchell » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:16 am

A midfielder to go with Ozzy

A decent striker to take burden off Doidge

A goal keeper to replace Brad, although this is not a priority.

I'd be happy with that :D
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team