Sam Russell

All about our First Team

Re: Sam Russell

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:08 am

Agree with the sentiments on this thread albeit many of us have posted similar support for Sam over the months. Thankfully, the 'report' is not from a credible source and FGR could hardly let Sam go until a better keeper is sourced

Great pro on and off the pitch, FGR through and through and came into 2016/17 on the back of a memorable season. In my view Brad should have been his understudy and would have benefitted from his senior's experience, coming in for Checkatrade duty. Sadly, an awful early season defence and cruel TV exposure of a keeper's gaffs have done neither any good

We now have a sound defence. I'd happily see Sam resume his role
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Green Devil » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:09 am

Sam has to be the best of the current bunch. We have had a few good goalies in the past and some were on loan. My choices would be 1. Danny Ireland 2. Ryan Clarke 3. Jonathan Bond
“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” (William Pollard)
Green Devil
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgr2016 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:17 am

Going to be a little controversial.

I do think Brad needs a rest. Sam is a top pro and has some great attributes. But I don't think he should be our number 1 either. In short, I think we have two great back up keepers... But not a true no. 1

I feel Sam despite being great all round was making quite a few errors last year which we got away with (I. E Wembley!?) then but wouldn't now. For example, Sam has had game time this year and he too has made costly errors. Remember when everyone screamed for his involvement, he got put on and then fumbled a cross?? He didn't provide the strength the back that we were all hoping he'd bring.

When Bradley isn't being told to kick it to the right (the reason for that, by the way I suspect was to avoid Akinefenwa) he has some power in him and gives us another option that takes weight off the defense... and he can produce some terrific saves too. As MC said, life of a goalkeeper. Etc.

He shouldn't be our number 1. But it doesn't mean Sam should be either. The solution is a new goal keeper.

I think Sam Is still injured anyway... So what Brad needs is for fans to stop ruddy jeering him!! No goalkeeper is going to perform at their best with their own fans on his back.

I don't think Sam has been told to leave - at the moment, Brad is on loan so if he got recalled we'd have no senior keeper.
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Funny old thing about Wembley, I remember Sam making one of the best saves I have seen on a football pitch early in the second half, had that gone in we might have been readying ourselves for the visit of someone like Borehamwood today instead of Port Vale.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments about booing Bradley, or indeed any of our players, what better way to undermine the confidence of a young player.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Dougal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Sam should have been our number 1 all season. Wouldn't be in this situation if he had been.

Watched the Wembley game highlights again last night - really cheared me up! We not even be in the league if it wasn't for Sam.

Big lose for us if he goes. I guess he is just out of favour with Cooper (which doesn't take much I reckon!)
Dougal
Youth
Youth

Postby Timb » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:00 pm

I think everything is relative but for keepers at FGR who have stood out at the level we are playing at I'd still have Sam number one.

Danny Ireland also stood out a mile when he came in and nearly turned our season around. Shame he was injured for the last game of the season.

From the olden days, long before our time we have had County keepers and those playing up the league. different game in them days.

Walter Brinkworth. Bob Ramsay. Albert Porter. Frank Butt. Jack Brock. B H Ford. Stan Fream. Alf Francis. Les Smith. Percy Smith. Harold Smith. Trevor Wheeler. Roger Vanstone. Seth Evans. J Utteridge. Pat Hennessey. R Maycock. Steve Dolling. Dave Moss. Richard Bryant. Kevin Roberts. Stewart Martin. Andrew Gardiner. Steve Book.

And then you reach Justin Shuttlewood.

Dave Moss is up there with the best for his part in a club changing season. Watch his saves at Wembley in 1982.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:21 pm

SuperTed is getting plenty of practice at Guiseley, trying to get them above the zone, once again. I reckon he was good, but sent away for messing up the 'feed from the back' mantra during friendlies.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby nwrover » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:19 pm

There’s only one stevie Perrin
One stevje Perrin
There’s only one stevie Perrin

Nice bloke too, happy to have pics with my then young son...
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tommo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Brad had a sound game today. Nothing spectacular to do but did what he needed to on crosses and kicked much better than usual- in fact dealt with some tricky kicks well
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Agree Tommo

i never understood the fuss about his 'kicking' -i think you could make that comment about most goalkeepers-albeit i did note for the first 60 mins, most kicks went central-not wide;so i guess that was a change of strategy from MC.

Defence better-must give BC so much more confidence.
looked assured in what he did though
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:45 pm

BC played perfectly well today. A clean sheet is all any fan can ask for.
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:SuperTed is getting plenty of practice at Guiseley, trying to get them above the zone, once again. I reckon he was good, but sent away for messing up the 'feed from the back' mantra during friendlies.

A lot of truth in there. It was a big ask, too, to get a goalkeeper coming back to fitness to start playing like a sweeper in the foolish pre-season '3-1-6' formation and style MC tried to introduce.

Having said that, Sam was in good form at the time, Jonny was clearly too good for our bench and wanted to play, so off he went 'oop North - although I often wonder if a season-long loan deal could have been negotiated, rather than a sale, we might have seen him back with FGR now. But looking at Guiseley's games, he hasn't always been first choice there this season, although I don't know if it's form or fitness related. He has certainly been on the bench for them a few times.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Spoke to Sam Saturday, it was more of a good bye he is off in this window real shame he didn't get more of a chance in the football league. But we move on :D
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andywhiting69 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 am

re goalkeepers tim , i know most of names but i thought richard bryant was a centre half from gloucester , might be wrong thou
best wishes andy
andywhiting69
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Tommo wrote:With Russell between the sticks this season I don’t think we would be in quite the position we find ourselves in.

I suspect many - most? - fans would agree with you :roll:

I certainly do.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRFAN1032 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 pm

And now he's training with the youth team :o
FGRFAN1032
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Martin Toms » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Isn’t he a bit old for the youth team? :shock:
Martin Toms
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Heard he was doing some coaching with the youth team?

Not unusual for older players approaching the end of their careers and a bit different then training with them.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Nigel Spink ?.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby FGRFAN1032 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Heard he was doing some coaching with the youth team?

Not unusual for older players approaching the end of their careers and a bit different then training with them.

He's training with them, probably won't be the only one to be sent to the naughty step by Mark Cooper
FGRFAN1032
Trainee
Trainee

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team