Charlie Cooper

All about our First Team

Re: Charlie Cooper

Postby tommyd » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 pm

It is good to remember they are human and that personal abuse is never acceptable but it's also good to remember we are a paying public and are entitled to an opinion if I was to pay to go to the cinema and an actor gave a poor performance I'm well within my rights to have an opinion and if the director had been his dad I am entitled to theorise that he was only given the part for that reason just as others are entitled to tell me they think I'm wrong. Public criticism is the price players pay for doing something most of us could only dream of and they are well paid for it. Paying to watch these players doesn't give us the right for personal abuse but it does give us the right to an opinion on their quality.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Fair point tommyd, but I always ask myself before I post something about someone whether I would be prepared to say it to their face, or in a case like this our whole first team squad. There is a big difference between saying something like "I wish player x would get to the byline and put in more crosses" and something that might be considered a personal verbal assault or even bullying. I like the old saying about when you have nothing good to say it is often better to say nothing, it has served me well through my life.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Earl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Regardless of a person’s merits or ability, I would argue it’s never a good idea bringing in family to the workplace.
The fact is Cooper has never left his son out of the team if available and never substitutes him. This means that Charlie Cooper must be one of the elite top performing players which for me is clearly not the case.
Mark Cooper seems an obstinate person so dropping his son or moving him out would be an admission of defeat.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Earl wrote:Regardless of a person’s merits or ability, I would argue it’s never a good idea bringing in family to the workplace.
The fact is Cooper has never left his son out of the team if available and never substitutes him. This means that Charlie Cooper must be one of the elite top performing players which for me is clearly not the case.
Mark Cooper seems an obstinate person so dropping his son or moving him out would be an admission of defeat.

Sorry Earl, Charlie Cooper has been substituted 6 times this season so far and 6 times in his half season 16/17.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 pm

The stats for this season are telling/unfortunate depending on your view.

Has anyone worked out how the stats work out for last season or have I missed that? Towards the end of last season I was beginning to see his value.

He is still young and may well prove his detractors wrong in the medium term. Personally I think that he would benefit from a longer break from the firing line than his suspension already provides. He may then have a struggle to get back into the team given the new signings.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Mothy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Charlie was developing well last season and had turned my view of him around.

Unfortunately, like some of the summer recruits Charlie has been unable to perform at the level required in league 2.

I hope he now goes out on loan for his own good.
#WeAreFGR #BacktheBucks
Mothy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: Telford, Shropshire - Privileged to have been raised in Eastington & Nailsworth

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Tommo wrote:The stats for this season are telling/unfortunate depending on your view.

Has anyone worked out how the stats work out for last season or have I missed that? Towards the end of last season I was beginning to see his value.

He is still young and may well prove his detractors wrong in the medium term. Personally I think that he would benefit from a longer break from the firing line than his suspension already provides. He may then have a struggle to get back into the team given the new signings.

According to the official website he has no stats for this season.

He'll go straight back into the side when his suspension ends.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 pm

About time we stopped spending so much time discussing Charlie Cooper and focussed on encouraging ALL of our players to maintain our status in Division 2. Charlie will play a part for the rest of the season and will need us to support him and the rest of the squad.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Spot on twinkletoes, totally agree, thought those who went to Swindon today did a pretty fine job getting behind our team.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Foggy wrote:Spot on twinkletoes, totally agree, thought those who went to Swindon today did a pretty fine job getting behind our team.

Yes we did, didn't we.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Good turn out yesterday. Midfield seemed to be missing something.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Timb wrote:Good turn out yesterday. Midfield seemed to be missing something.

As it has all season
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:16 pm

I suggest we all get off CC 's back from now on and back him and the whole team forward. Lets see how we end up.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Zodiac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Football is full of daddy boys , from the youth set ups into the the adult game ,eventually the player will be found out when he is playing in a level to hard for him.
Zodiac
Trainee
Trainee

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Zodiac wrote:Football is full of daddy boys , from the youth set ups into the the adult game ,eventually the player will be found out when he is playing in a level to hard for him.

Which is what is happening now.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 pm

tommyd wrote: if I was to pay to go to the cinema and an actor gave a poor performance I'm well within my rights to have an opinion and if the director had been his dad I am entitled to theorise that he was only given the part for that reason just as others are entitled to tell me they think I'm wrong. Public criticism is the price players pay for doing something most of us could only dream of and they are well paid for it. Paying to watch these players doesn't give us the right for personal abuse but it does give us the right to an opinion on their quality.

The difference of course being that if you choose to yell at the screen, the actors can't hear you - when people yell at Charlie from the stands, he can.

I respect everyone's 'right' to have an opinion on anything, but I question their right to air it aggressively at a person trying to do their 'job of work'. I am not of course accusing you of doing this tommyd...!
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:38 pm

SkunkMan wrote:
tommyd wrote: if I was to pay to go to the cinema and an actor gave a poor performance I'm well within my rights to have an opinion and if the director had been his dad I am entitled to theorise that he was only given the part for that reason just as others are entitled to tell me they think I'm wrong. Public criticism is the price players pay for doing something most of us could only dream of and they are well paid for it. Paying to watch these players doesn't give us the right for personal abuse but it does give us the right to an opinion on their quality.

The difference of course being that if you choose to yell at the screen, the actors can't hear you - when people yell at Charlie from the stands, he can.

I respect everyone's 'right' to have an opinion on anything, but I question their right to air it aggressively at a person trying to do their 'job of work'. I am not of course accusing you of doing this tommyd...!

I agree with you 100% when they are out on the pitch they should always be supported.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:50 pm

tommyd wrote:
SkunkMan wrote:

I agree with you 100% when they are out on the pitch they should always be supported.

Right!

I ended up just laughing at the guy on Saturday who, every time Manny Monthe got near the ball - sometimes before he even had a chance to get to it, said "For Christ's sake Monthe!". When I hear players being slagged off so much by our own support I just so want them to play a blinder....
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 pm

Manny didn't have a great game on Saturday in an unfamiliar role, but he did ok.

Personally I wouldn't say he is a wing back but his defensive instincts meant no weak link in defence. But hesitation upfield and no crosses told the story.

Back to Charlie Cooper and he could be a good cog in the new look wheel.

On another note, I came down to Swindon on Saturday with a guy I'm in the social network with at the moment. He's a life long swindon fanny. Him and the other bloke were the 2 founder members of the London STFC supporters club in the early 80s. The STFC goalkeeper at one time was graham scott, who is reffing Chelsea v Norwich on the telly. Apparently there are 3 premier league swindon town supporting referees....
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby timelapse 72 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am

Timb wrote:On another note, I came down to Swindon on Saturday with a guy I'm in the social network with at the moment. He's a life long swindon fanny.
:D
timelapse 72
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team