Team for Swindon

All about our First Team

Team for Swindon

Postby lovejoy2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:22 pm

Hopefully we can show the same solidity as v Port Vale, improve further and get another positive result.

Drissa played 45 mins tonight so I hope he’s back. Hollis signed today will he play?

I would go for:
Sam Russel but obvs big gonna happen so hopefully a new keeper in for Saturday. Otherwise Brad will start.
Back 3 of Rawson, Gunning and Probably Hollis to get the nod over Monthe.
Lee Colin’s at RWB assuming Bennet not back yet. Drissa and Osborne in the middle and Wishart at LWB.
Would still like to see KMB in the attacking midfield role but I expect Brown will start again don’t mind this as he did ok Saturday and I’d improving.
Then obviously Doidge and Reid upfront.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Team for Swindon

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 am

---------------------B Collins------------------------
-----Rawson----Gunning------Hollis---------
James-------------Collins-------------Wishart
------------Brown-----------Osbourne---------
------------Doidge-----------Reid----------------

Brad Collins played well on Saturday, his kicking was much better. Lee Collins was superb in holding midfield, I'd leave him there. James is ineffective going forward, but actually does well when gets back defensively, think he could do a job at rwb.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:28 pm

-------------------------Brad------------------------
--------Faz-------------Lee-----------Gav---------
Luke------------Driss------Ossie----------Wish
---------------------Reece/KMB-------------------
--------------Doidge---------Reid-----------------

I like the idea of trying James as a right wing back; I though Laird did okay there on Saturday but a right-sided player would be preferable, which neither Laird or Whittle are. We badly need Dale Bennett back though and ideally, also another right-sided player who can play in this position.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Largely agree with the selections/options but not with James - rather see Grubb or Stevens get their chance
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 pm

T50 BOS wrote:but not with James - rather see Grubb or Stevens get their chance

At right wing back?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:39 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Largely agree with the selections/options but not with James - rather see Grubb or Stevens get their chance

Oh, so would I - but we need a right back or right wing back for Saturday - and currently, we don't seem to have a fit one in the squad :o

So we either play a left-footed full back there (Laird or Whittle) or we have to be a bit creative for a game or two until hopefully we have other options for this position.
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby lovejoy2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:10 pm

If Drissa is back then surely Colins can play there. We could then try another option like James when Drissa has to come off at 60mins.

If KMB can play there then James can. He had good work rstrcand pace. Aldo isn’t frightened to head the ball. The other options are Evans? Also after his ban maybe Charlie Cooper could play there? I think it’s his best position and might be the saving of him.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 am

One big problem now with Hollis is that the side is as left biased as Jeremy Corbin at a Lenin memorial. With Dale out we have no natural right back or RWB, although Laird does OK there is nothing dynamic, and Keanu worked hard (for him) there at Exeter he has very few natural defensive attributes and gave away the pen.
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 pm

I think its rather unfair to put KMB at RWB when he clearly isn't suited to the position and has always played as an attacking player.

Yes, I believe Gunning, Hollis, Laird, Wishart and Whittle (and I think Evans?) are all left-footed - not so much of a problem as a centre half, perhaps, but certainly a challenge as a RWB.

I would not want to see Collins pushed out to RWB - his quality and leadership is needed in the centre IMHO.

Charlie Cooper is an interesting shout. Should have the engine for it and is right-footed. I recall him starting his time with us playing right midfield?
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Think CC at RWB may be a great shout. Has a great engine, can do a bit of everything. Would allow Drissa or Collins to partner Osbourne. Another option could be Stevens. Also prefer Laird in midfield. I reckon MC will go for either Whittle or Wish at RWB.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:56 pm

But Charlie is out for another 2 games!
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Big John fan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Anybody but James! I'm afraid he hasn't done anything much in all the time he's had on the field of play and certainly never looks like scoring, which apparently was what he was supposed to do!
Big John fan
Reserves
Reserves

Postby John Whiffen » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Big John fan wrote:Anybody but James! I'm afraid he hasn't done anything much in all the time he's had on the field of play and certainly never looks like scoring, which apparently was what he was supposed to do!

This was my initial thought as well but after further consideration I’ve changed my mind. The only thing I’ve ever credited him with is the fact that he has made quite a few well timed tackles in defence. So he COULD be usefull in this position, he certainly isn’t anywhere else.
John Whiffen
First Team
First Team

Postby T50 BOS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 pm

And definitely not CC .... he looks even more like a duck out of water on the rare occasion he has been asked to play out wide. Energetic he may be but not fast enough to go past players.
So ..... still leaves us with either KMB, Stevens or any number of left footed players !!!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm

One of our best performances to date was away at Notts County. And one of the best players on the pitch that day was Luke James. In fact he was defending from the front after 90 minutes when he was taken off, and then they equalised.
He might not score but as a cog in a team he could have a big part to play.

Not a bad shout as RWB.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NECbowler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Timb wrote:One of our best performances to date was away at Notts County. And one of the best players on the pitch that day was Luke James. In fact he was defending from the front after 90 minutes when he was taken off, and then they equalised.
He might not score but as a cog in a team he could have a big part to play.

Not a bad shout as RWB.

Taking the pressure off of having to score could be a weight off his shoulders. I’ve enjoyed his work ethic and he clearly has ability. RWB may be the answer?
NECbowler
Youth
Youth

Return to FGR First Team