Match Thread from The County Ground (Swindon)

All about our First Team

Re: Match Thread from The County Ground (Swindon)

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:40 pm

mauler wrote:Difficult game in an increasingly difficult season. Not many,positives out there. Swindon fans to our right were nutters. Nothing to shout about today no one fault but they have league experience and we do not.

Didn't really create a lot today although Reid had one good opportunity to pull the trigger and didn't.

I'll be interested to see the Swindon goal again ... what the hell was going on there?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Interesting to read all reports on here - I did think up to the goal that we might just nick a point. Some encouraging factors though - it does bode well for the future - bring it on.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Interesting to read all reports on here - I did think up to the goal that we might just nick a point. Some encouraging factors though - it does bode well for the future - bring it on.

The encouraging thing is that when everyone is fit we have a reasonable starting eleven. However, the loss of Rawson really hurt us. We were never the same with Laird on the pitch. Felt sorry for Monthe out of position, but this just isn't his time in League Two. It's too soon for him.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby T50 BOS » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Just watched the goal again on Goal Express and despite Brad's 2 really good saves in the first half I think he'll be very disappointed with the way he parried the shot out that led to Swindon's winner. Not the first time this season either. A pity because I felt he looked solid behind our new look back line both last week and this. Problem is these thing cost us valuable points !!
T50 BOS
First Team
First Team

Postby dursleydog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Can't help feeling our formation requires really good wing backs to really work in an attacking sense and arguably the weakest part of our squad is at wing back!
So disappointed in Laird. On reputation should be one of our best players and a real leader, he's been a complete liability all season. Wisharts been good in fits and starts, Bennett has struggled to make the step up.
Hoping for one of these "one or two more" signings to be a rwb and the other to be a central midfielder. Brad seems to be playing much better with the more solid defence in front of him.
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 pm

T50 BOS wrote:Just watched the goal again on Goal Express and despite Brad's 2 really good saves in the first half I think he'll be very disappointed with the way he parried the shot out that led to Swindon's winner. Not the first time this season either. A pity because I felt he looked solid behind our new look back line both last week and this. Problem is these thing cost us valuable points !!

I held fire on commenting about Brad Collins's parry because, from the angle I was at, I couldn't tell if it was his fault or not. We do need another goalkeeper.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Defo need 3 high profile signings minimum. We are going to miss Rawson, presuming he’s out for 3 matches for concussion reasons. Think we will have to bring in right footed rwb and if he continues to snub Traore at least 1 centre mid. Also a flair player of some kind who can create. Kmb and Brown just not cutting the mustard. Grubb promising debut, good close control but maybe not the pace.

One thing for sure, staying in league 2 is going to be very difficult, especially when bottom can beat top. Impressed with players commitment and work rate. Keep their heads up and we could beat the drop. Didn’t notice Hollis much today, so couldn’t tell whether it was a good debut.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re flipin dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 pm

mauler wrote:Difficult game in an increasingly difficult season. Not many,positives out there. Swindon fans to our right were nutters. Nothing to shout about today no one fault but they have league experience and we do not.

Pretty good summary imo and some good balanced comments on the forum so far. We are close to being good enough but don’t challenge opponents goalies enough and lack a senior player or two - plus one now Rawson is out.

Is Traore not match fit?

As others have said, Brad had a great game except for the goal which was coming for a while I thought. We gradually lost any control in midfield and once we failed to hold the ball up as we did in the first half we were coming under pressure.

Grubb did ok and made some good runs before going too far. We missed Browns guile I thought but I know he is not many’s favourite. More we miss Bennett who, even if he is stretched at this level, would have done more than Laird. And we were unfortunate to lose Rawson. I hope he is ok.

Reid seemed to tire and Doidge looked a bit off colour - I doubt he is fully fit - but everyone worked hard. Wishart had another good game I thought.

We are slowly learning to get the ball forward quicker but it rarely feels under control and, in contrast, most times Swindon broke out, they seemed to know what they were doing and looked dangerous.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Just seen that MC reckoned Doidge dived in both penalty incidents. I don’t think ‘dived’ is the right word. He may have gone over too easily for the challenge but I wouldn’t have been surprised to see either given. I was a long way away though so am looking forward to any tv highlights.

I hope MC hasn’t peeved Doidge with his comments. They seem unnecesarily extreme. We need Doidge to stay and be totally committed.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:01 pm

SNJ Ash wrote:Coops post-match verdict

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... wn_defeat/

So, we lost because of Doidge? Cooper really is his own worst enemy.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Hard-working performance today which merited a point, all worked their socks off, only to be beaten by such a scrappy goal. We do need a wide player to provide crosses for Reid and Doidge. Reid did have a great opportunity second half to put us in front but took too many touches. Not sure of the logic second half using Manny and Laird who are both left-footed players on the right. Surely we have enough in the squad to use a naturally right-footed player out there.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby bobhunt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 pm

Mark was being ironic.
bobhunt
Youth
Youth

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Tommo wrote:Just seen that MC reckoned Doidge dived in both penalty incidents. I don’t think ‘dived’ is the right word. He may have gone over too easily for the challenge but I wouldn’t have been surprised to see either given. I was a long way away though so am looking forward to any tv highlights.

I hope MC hasn’t peeved Doidge with his comments. They seem unnecesarily extreme. We need Doidge to stay and be totally committed.

He's being sarcastic isn't he?!
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm

bobhunt wrote:Mark was being ironic.

So was I. Wasted.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Osbourne was my man of the match, covered so much ground, got vital tackles in and was also creative. Grubb also looked a promising player, beat 3 players in a great run in the first half but should then have passed to Doidge who had a free shot on goal. But a great prospect picked up from the lower leagues.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Great to be with so many FGR fans today. Unfortunately its the same old thing. Just not nearly good enough.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Attendance: 7,062
No away support announced but one of the stewards told me that we must have been just short of 800 away support.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Quite a few positives and a good foundation if we make the right signings.

I think the fairly marginal difference between the sides was the fact they took more of a chance in the final third. Their players would hold the ball up and wait for runners beyond and they also shot and crossed more freely.

Ultimately we started with 5 CBs, a LB at RB, one true CM alongside a CB playing CM, an AM and 2 strikers. The balance isn't there. Hopefully that will be addressed in the coming weeks though.

Doidge and Grubb worked hard to win balls from the front, Wishart played pretty well and before the enforced sub our CB trio looked strong. Not sure where Traore is though? He ran the show before being subbed in the reverse fixture and whilst Collins is good cover in CM he isn't Traore.

The fans were brilliant too today. Good numbers and voice. Not sure what was going on with some of the Swindon fans to our right. Some oddballs in there for sure.

Hopefully a couple more additions in this week and we can carry on looking up. Certainly no time for panic or despair and I think the forum posts already made probably reflects a degree of optimism that the second half of the season will be better than the first. But ultimately it will be points that keep us up and we need to improve on the one shot on target that I can remember.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Very impressed with Grubb.
On a couple of occasions he was thru when tackled but refused to go down and caused Swindon big problems.

It was very noticeable that when Rawson was carried off, FGR were forced to change their game plan.
Whether we could have won with him on field for 90 minutes we will never know, but I suspect FGR would not have lost.
A BIG loss for the team when he was injured.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team