Match Thread from The County Ground (Swindon)

All about our First Team

Re: Match Thread from The County Ground (Swindon)

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 pm

camel wrote:The fans were brilliant too today. Good numbers and voice. Not sure what was going on with some of the Swindon fans to our right. Some oddballs in there for sure.

FGR kept the Swindon fans very quiet for 80 minutes of game.
It was only after they scored that they made themselves heard.
Mind you they made up for it in that ten minutes: "You're going back to the Conference." [I THINK NOT]
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 pm

bobhunt wrote:Mark was being ironic.

Well, I hope so. Just rather sad that he finds himself in a position of talking ironic drivel when he should be discussing factual stuff (as he sees it) about the game for the benefit of those wanting to listen to him.
I call it unprofessional, over-the-top - even childish. His way of conducting his business is a way with which increasingly I don't really want to be associated.
But I'm not too depressed with the FGR performance today. Neither team played much in the way of attractive football, and a draw would have been the "right" result. First time I've seen all the new arrivals and I thought they did OK, considering they haven't played much together yet.

Need a point or 3 v Cambdrige next week though.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Are you sure Bob? He mentioned it so many times in his interview and it came across as him being serious. Saying that, never quite sure how to take MC.
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm

The Running Rover wrote:

Are you sure Bob? He mentioned it so many times in his interview and it came across as him being serious. Saying that, never quite sure how to take MC.

He was definitely being sarcastic!!!!

Unbelievable how people miss that!!!

That said, it came across pathetic from Cooper after a while! Excuses / Excuses / Excuses!!

When is Cooper ever going to praise our excellent support as wel?? Such an arrogant person, who makes it very hard to like as a manager!!
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm

stanman wrote:

Well, I hope so. Just rather sad that he finds himself in a position of talking ironic drivel when he should be discussing factual stuff (as he sees it) about the game for the benefit of those wanting to listen to him.
I call it unprofessional, over-the-top - even childish. His way of conducting his business is a way with which increasingly I don't really want to be associated.
But I'm not too depressed with the FGR performance today. Neither team played much in the way of attractive football, and a draw would have been the "right" result. First time I've seen all the new arrivals and I thought they did OK, considering they haven't played much together yet.

Need a point or 3 v Cambdrige next week though.

Tbh, I thought it was an amusing way to make his dissatisfaction with the referee very clear. Not surprised he didn't acknowledge the away support that easily out-sang the home fans. Maybe we no longer exist following the reception sonny received having been sent off.

Watching that goal again, Collins really should have done better.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Farrend has just tweeted:
"Just left the hospital, all is ok thankfully just wanna thank all the medics/nurses and doctors that help me today. Honestly they were class ".

Good news!!! Hope you're back very, very soon Farrend. We DO need you!
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42678543

the bbc didn't seem to get it either
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Fantastic news.
So glad you're Ok Farrend.
Come back soon. You were doing great.
:)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Agreed.

Best news of the day, hope he is back for Cambridge.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Phew!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby twinkletoes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery Farrend, can already see you are committed to FGR.
twinkletoes
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Tomiswalking wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42678543

The big question is, I suppose, did Christian "get it"? How does he feel about all the publicity about these comments?
I think if Cooper feels the need to make these sort of comments post-match at times, then he should withdraw & let his Assistant do those interviews.

I really annoys me, but I suppose I'll get over it.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Probably because he looked like he was being serious.
It came across as sarcasm to me immediately by what he said.
He implied he's in enough trouble already without getting himself in more by complaining.
He then said CD dived because no-one was near him when it was obvious that opponents were so close to him on both occasions that the ref had been expected to give a penalty.

I just hope CD's take on it is the same as mine!
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Let's face it, Cooper does not help this club with his rediculous actions!!!
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 pm

FGR-Ledge wrote:Let's face it, Cooper does not help this club with his rediculous actions!!!

Hmm if Trump was a manager, I wonder what kind of manager he would be.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Not the best of games.
One shot on goal tells the story.
Could not quite get my head around the two wing backs. Obviously the injury to Rawson didn’t help things but even the tactical change at half time left me baffled.
I was right behind the shot which lead to the goal and I would not blame the keeper at all.
Initially not one single player moved to close down the shot which was swerving across and I thought It was more the outfield players at fault.
Grubb worked hard but at times wasted a lot of energy chasing down which caused him to tire.
He has a future but needs to remember that whereas st WSM he was their star player in League Two he doesn’t need to over do it and to try and put the strikers in.
If Doidge looked tired according to some fans from posts so far, then goodness knows what others were doing.
People sat by me were not complimentary about Swindon and they were very knowledgable pundits so whether we like it or not we have a lot to do.
Players, in my opinion, should unless there is no other option, only play in their obvious position. We signed Whittle and I could not understand why he was not brought on to allow Wishsrt to get forward more in the second half.
I will not be too critical of Laird but how can he play right wing back? Likewise Monthe left wing back. This stopped us being able to service the two strikers and may be a reason why we only had one shot on goal.
It is not going to be easy and me thinks we need a couple of creative players although there is still Traore and Cooper to return.
Last edited by FootieMan on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 pm

NewForestRover wrote:

Probably because he looked like he was being serious.
It came across as sarcasm to me immediately by what he said.
He implied he's in enough trouble already without getting himself in more by complaining.
He then said CD dived because no-one was near him when it was obvious that opponents were so close to him on both occasions that the ref had been expected to give a penalty.

I just hope CD's take on it is the same as mine!

From what I gather Cooper and Doidge have a good relationship and Doidge spoke highly of Cooper after he ended his mini goal drought earlier this season. I'd imagine they would have spoken about it afterwards and be fine.

I just hope other clubs don't see it as an invite to make an approach. We don't want his head turned at all.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 pm

It surely proves the point that the ref had a bad game when he gives the Swindon striker a yellow card for faking a trip in our box, yet Doidge goes to ground twice and nothing happens.Either there was contact and they should have been penalties or he should have booked Doidge for diving.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tddun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:20 pm

When Mark says "How about that"? In its context about 9 seconds in to the interview, this makes it completely clear that he is not being serious.
Tddun
Youth
Youth

Postby bobhunt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Just like to say it’s not up to me what goes on the BBC website ! How anybody can think the manager isn’t being sarcastic ......
bobhunt
Youth
Youth

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team