QPR fan in peace

All about our First Team

QPR fan in peace

Postby GL2QPR » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 am

Morning,

Just moved to the area (Quedgeley) so adopted FGR as my local team. Loved abroad for 15 years and too be honest since moving back have only been to 10 QPR games. I don't mind that we are not that good (that's been most of my life to be honest) it is more the fact that even an average player is on 10-15k per week.

When I was growing up Paul Parker was a family friend as was Gary Waddock, there is no connection with the current group.

What is Charlie Cooper like? Seems to divide opinion on here.

Hoping to get down to a game soon, took my kids to see the ground just before the Wycombe game.

Cheers
GL2QPR
Trainee
Trainee

Re: QPR fan in peace

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am

Hope you make it down to a FGR game, it's a great family atmosphere at The New Lawn. We are struggling in this division, but delighted to be in league football after climbing up from the lower leagues over the last 40 or so years. The players and management are committed and most fans have faith we will not be relegated, but it will be a 'tough ask'.

I guess QPR are destined to be a solid Championship club and inward investment will determine whether you make it back to the Premiership of risk falling down to Division One. My former club were BURY, forever destined to hover between League Two and League One. Hopefully next year the Rovers will take on the Shakers.

Charlie Cooper is a very hard working pro who if full of endeavour both in matches and on the training ground week in, week out. The experience at QPR will be great for him and everyone hopes he will succeed.

Drop me a PM if you come down to a match
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GL2QPR » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks Pitchfork. Are you from Bury originally?

I was born in Manchester and all my family are manc's so used to go to Bury market all the time. Old man wanted to be different and he was 14/15 during the Francis, Bowles era which explains why we are all QPR.

He now lives in Paris and I was based in Dubai up to December 2016 so we selected games we would meet up for. When I moved back the idea was to get a season ticket but at 600 pound a go (more if I wanted to take the little ones, a 4 hour round trip and terrible football (in no way entertainment) decided just to get a membership.

Seen QPR once at Bury our first year down in League 1, that was a great season and one of our best in terms of support, we lost a lot of fan during the premier league era.

Will pick a game and send you a pm.
GL2QPR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:07 am

First Cup Final I ever watched at the old Wembley was QPR v WBA in League Cup Final.
Terrific.
My memories of QPR go back to the Rodney Marsh & Stan Bowles days. Legends both.

GL2QPR I echo same sentiments as Pitchfork and look forward to perhaps an occasional visit from yourself.
All the best.

[Charlie Cooper is a very hard working team player who has greatly improved in the past 18 months as a 1st team player. Unfortunately being the son of manager he has higher hurdles to vault than others to be fully accepted by everybody at TNL. Hopefully a new club will bring out best in him.]
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GL2QPR » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am

Cheers.

Before my time but seen the final many times, along with the 82 final (we were by far the better team in the replay). 86 was my time but we won't go there;)

Looking through FGR fixtures and will come down for a game, so far just been looking out for results and seen a couple of Sky games. Have a few Coventry mates so been giving them some stick.

Exeter away this weekend right, considered a derby game?
GL2QPR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby camel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:43 am

Welcome to the forums and the club.

FGR is fantastically friendly and welcoming as well as a great environment for bringing your kids (see the terrific ambassadors scheme as example). I'm not sure how old your kids are but I'd recommend the East Stand (seated) and then going to the MoM presentation afterwards. Nothing like mixing with the players after a game to inspire youngsters (and older fans too ;) )

I was the same as you; I followed the results and scores when I moved closer to the club and then finally tried a game out. I was hooked straight away.

As for Charlie Cooper I think you'd find it hard to find someone who can question his effort and commitment. As you have said already, he splits opinion amongst fans with some thinking he will play Championship level and others saying below National League. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. But as a promotion winning player, he will be part of the history of this club forevermore and I imagine most will wish him well with his career.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Exeter City away tomorrow night.

Coventry City at home at FGR this coming Saturday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Welcome to Rovers, at least you still get to see a team playing in hoops...enjoy the ride!

Watch out for Pitchfork, he will have enrolled your kids as Ambassadors if he gets the chance, before you can blink an eye...to be fair, we could probably do with building support in the Quedgeley area ahead of the possible move to the new ground!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby GL2QPR » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:12 pm

New Ground? What's up with the current one, looks nice enough, big enough?

The Hoops certainly helped;)
GL2QPR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Foggy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:21 pm

The current ground is indeed lovely and we only moved there in the summer of 2006. There are plans afoot to build a new one at Eastington, near Jn13 on the M5, so even closer to where you live and precisely the reason we hope to develop a fanbase in the Quedgeley area.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Is Ian Hollaway still manager there?, ex-Gashead, and great on TV in interviews.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:23 pm

The mighty Ollie us indeed at QPR still. 8-)
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 pm

Many thanks Ledge - vivid memories of the Sky TV game of BCFC v Gas at Ashton Gate, where all the Gas players were chased off the pitch at the final whistle by the City fans - with Hollaway running the fastest !!.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Many thanks Ledge - vivid memories of the Sky TV game of BCFC v Gas at Ashton Gate, where all the Gas players were chased off the pitch at the final whistle by the City fans - with Hollaway running the fastest !!.

He's a character all right!!! :)

Have quite a few Gasheads mates, and they absolutely adore the bloke!! 8-)
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby GL2QPR » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:52 pm

IH still there and divides opinion like Mr. Cooper.

We need his passion that is for sure but tactically he is poor, we have a squad full of wingers (signed by IH) and we don't play wingers. That is what winds the fans up more than anything, especially when we are now trying to cut our cloth accordingly in line with FFP. Still fine little old QPR 57 million while City spend millions and AS is on 550k a week at United..

That is what is killing football for me, no regard for the fans it is all about the TV money and the latest play thing for rich people.

A combination of that, living local and the Hoops has prompted me to follow FGR (from a far so far). QPR will always be my side (you don't change teams ever) but I always look for FGR results and reads the match reports, will make it down in Feb for a game and will bring my 3 year old along to her first game.
GL2QPR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby FGR-Ledge » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Awesome, I think you and your daughter will like it at FGR.

Most people do. 8-)
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 pm

GL2QPR wrote:That is what is killing football for me, no regard for the fans it is all about the TV money and the latest play thing for rich people.

Must... Bite... Tongue
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 am

Welcome QPR fan :)

As you probably can tell it's been a tough first half of the season for us. As others have said he works hard on and off the pitch, Unfortunately we haven't had the squad/tactics to succeed in league 2 so it's hard to tell how CC will get on at higher levels.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 am

GL2QPR wrote: QPR will always be my side (you don't change teams ever) .

Until you visit New Lawn, become addicted to FGR, realise you should've been here all along and your previous team is nothing more than a memory.

It can happen!

:)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 am

NewForestRover wrote:
GL2QPR wrote: QPR will always be my side (you don't change teams ever) .

Until you visit New Lawn, become addicted to FGR, realise you should've been here all along and your previous team is nothing more than a memory.

It can happen!

:)

Coming to TNL is like visiting Equestria and meeting Princess Celestia and Fluttershy.
Your hands-down winner.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team