QPR fan in peace

All about our First Team

Re: QPR fan in peace

Postby Irish-Rover » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am

NewForestRover wrote:
GL2QPR wrote: QPR will always be my side (you don't change teams ever) .

Until you visit New Lawn, become addicted to FGR, realise you should've been here all along and your previous team is nothing more than a memory.

It can happen!

:)

Were you not wondering what the definition of a plastic football fan was the other day, NFR?
Irish-Rover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 am

When will you old-timers realise that you don't measure a fan by how long they've been following the club?

It reminds me of a certain other secular way of thinking.

We should be welcoming everyone who wants to come along.

Welcome GL2QPR, I hope you enjoy your first visit.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Irish-Rover » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:41 am

voodoobluesman wrote:When will you old-timers realise that you don't measure a fan by how long they've been following the club?

I too welcome GL2QPR with open arms. Seems like a proper football supporter - more of them needed at the club IMO.
Irish-Rover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 am

GL2QPR wrote:Cheers.

Before my time but seen the final many times, along with the 82 final (we were by far the better team in the replay). 86 was my time but we won't go there;)

As a Spurs and FGR fan of many years, my recollection is that QPR were unkucky in the second half not to beat a tired looking Spurs in the 1982 FA Cup Final Replay.

You will find FGR different in many ways, but I am an extremely infrequent visitor to the Mighty Spurs because of these. It is a cracking little stadium, just about big enough to have a 'proper' atmosphere but small enough to still feel intimate. 3,000+ is considered a 'big crowd', where as QPR would get 4 or 5 times that. Parking on busy match days can be tricky! There is more to it than merely a football club, too, which you may or may not like; the green ethos of our Chairman permeates every aspect of the club. Those who have been followers for a long time can recall the days when we had crowds of under 200 and perhaps have to pinch themselves now we are a football league club. I take my 6 year old regularly, plus his friends and cousin, and they have a great and safe day out.

I hope you enjoy your first visit and like what you see.

Charlie Cooper? Judge for yourself, really. Has suffered from being the managers son, without a doubt. I think he has the attitude and skill to be a solid football league player but we have seen only glimpses thus far and as he is so young still, the jury is very much out IMHO.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GL2QPR » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks for all the welcoming messages. Let's hope we can get at least a point tonight away from home. Big 4 days all round, 4 points for FGR would go someway towards safety and the R's have Barnsley at home Saturday. Win that and a healthy gap between us, lose it and right back in the fight.
GL2QPR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:24 pm

Irish-Rover wrote:
voodoobluesman wrote:When will you old-timers realise that you don't measure a fan by how long they've been following the club?

I too welcome GL2QPR with open arms. Seems like a proper football supporter - more of them needed at the club IMO.

It would be interesting to know what constitutes a "proper" supporter, for example I followed MUFC from age 7 to 30 from afar. Their shenanigans in the end put me off football completely until three years ago, when I came to TNL for the first time. Now it feels like home.

Does that make me an "improper" supporter? If so, I'm plastic and proud!
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Irish-Rover » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:
Irish-Rover wrote:

It would be interesting to know what constitutes a "proper" supporter, for example I followed MUFC from age 7 to 30 from afar. Their shenanigans in the end put me off football completely until three years ago, when I came to TNL for the first time. Now it feels like home.

Does that make me an "improper" supporter? If so, I'm plastic and proud!

I'm not sure how any body else defines it - my personal opinion would be;

Football 'supporters' travel up and down the country supporting their team home and away every week.

Football 'fans' watch from afar, make the odd appearance at games and post regularly on forums.

I would point out the main difference being that to a 'supporter' their club means much more to them than most things in life - they spend a large chunk of their wages following their local team (or travelling to follow their boyhood team) every week. Football 'fans' are able to pick and choose which team/s they want to follow (not that a supporter cant but usually their club will be ingrained in them from an early age - be it the local team or a family connection). They may not often go to games or understand the history of said club, however, they will adamantly state that they are just as much of a supporter as anyone else who follows them. This would be a plastic fan.
The differences could arise as a reaction to the increasing middle class presence in modern football.
Irish-Rover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby voodoobluesman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks IR.

Good description.

I guess I used to be a fan of MUFC, now I'm definitely a supporter of FGR.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:20 pm

Each to their own I say. No need to compete with each other.
Tomiswalking
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tim13 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:
GL2QPR wrote: QPR will always be my side (you don't change teams ever) .

Until you visit New Lawn, become addicted to FGR, realise you should've been here all along and your previous team is nothing more than a memory.

It can happen!

:)

Coming to TNL is like visiting Equestria and meeting Princess Celestia and Fluttershy.

Did we sign them in th January window? I must have missed that. :)
Tim13
Reserves
Reserves

Previous

Return to FGR First Team