Let's have some honesty...

All about our First Team

Re: Let's have some honesty...

Postby camel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Oh and what's your view PM? Would be interested to hear.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:11 pm

I am a bit like Martin Toms, rating our chances as around 50/50, I think it could come down to the last couple of games either way.

There are things we could do to give ourselves a better chance, for starters play like we did in the second half against Wycombe and for most of the game against Cambridge, in both of those we looked dangerous and created lots of chances. I gather we played the same way in the first half at Exeter on Wednesday, but not the second. The key is to attack as often and as much as possible, it seems like stating the obvious but all the time we are creating chances at one end we aren't conceding them at the other. I agree with Stanman about the free kicks, how we can have one in our opponents half and not create some sort of chance from it? This frustrates me greatly as in Doidge and Reid we have two targetmen with a proven record for scoring, we should at least give them a chance.

One thing that does bother me is the sniping that we have had on here about opinions held of the Main Stand by the South, and vice versa. The reality is that there is good and bad in both and the only way we can support the team properly is if we unite in our efforts. We expect the players to be on it for 90+ minutes...we need to take that attitude too. For those who think an atmosphere cannot be manufactured and should be spontaneous...well, lets take the lead, we should inspire the players by making some noise, it can't do any harm can it.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Phil, you knew my views after the Barnet game at home. As the season has unfolded we have seen that they're a very poor side.

MC and DV got it horrendously wrong over the summer with most of the recruitment and poor preseason schedule. We now look a better side, at least on paper, that is probably good enough to stay up. However, I'm far from convinced that the manager's tactics, his list of persona non grata and team selections will help our cause. That could be the difference.

I'm not going to sit on the fence, so I'm going to say that with Cooper in charge I am expecting us to go down. I would love to be proven wrong.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Phil_mitchell wrote:Fellow fans let's put our hands on our hearts and give an answer to the following question.

Who believes we will stay up and beat the drop?

My heart says YES, when I engage my brain I’m still positive,but know it’s a huge task. As others have noted, the crunch matches are towards the end of this month.
Seven points in Feb and I will remain optimistic. Anything less and we have a real fight on our hands. Three wins and the picture will be looking promising.
Bottom line, yes
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Yes, we will remain in EFL.
Mark Cooper has never been relegated and Notts Co head hunted him to keep them from being relegated.
His team at their best on the right day are as good as most in this league.
Yesterday Exeter fans complimented FGR and offered opinion we will avoid relegation.
What we need is a decent rub of the green, something that has been in short measure for much of season.
And remember FGR remain close to pack despite our last two losses.
A couple of wins and the picture changes completely.

However I accept it is a common expression from clubs trying to avoid relegation "We are too good to go down."
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:56 pm

I'm not a football manager but from the few matches I've seen two things stand out.

Shoot! It makes defences nervous and they make mistakes. Cambridge was a delight.

and if you are moving forwards, ball at feet, working out how to get round an opposition player or two, and planning a pass I'd imagine you don't really want a Mr Angry shouting at you. Surely if the players are good enough they don't need micro-managing during the match. Let them give 100% concentration to playing.

After Cambridge I thought we'd stay up. 50/50 now.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Pitchfork wrote: Three wins and the picture will be looking promising.

And there's the rub. A football team 'win' consists of putting the ball into the opponents net more times than they put the damn thing into yours.

Not many indications of us doing that on current form, but I remain optimistic that a sudden EUREKA! moment will occur. :?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:22 pm

camel wrote:Oh and what's your view PM? Would be interested to hear.

After every defeat I get so angry and bitter. Been the same for 20 odd years.
We have some real 6 pointers at home and away I want to stay up so bad. I want people to tell me how wrong I was I really do. But I'm sorry I saw this coming after the Barnet game and made it clear then.
So I think we will fall short but I pray to god I'm wrong.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Martin Toms wrote:I’ve always tried to be a positive person but I’m currently 50/50 as that’s whether we stay up especially after the last two losses.

I can’t see us beating Coventry or Newport, a point at the very best in each. The three games following, Stevenage, Morecambe and Crawley are huge and I feel we need to win at least two of those games or come the end of February we could be cut adrift.

I’ve said for a while now for me it’s scoring goals which is the bigger problem I believe than defensive issues. We never give ourselves a chance as we don’t threaten the goal enough so then any tiny slip at the back gets punished and because we don’t have a threat confidence goes downhill quickly. We never seem to cross the ball and although the shots tally went up the other night at Exeter we still didn’t score but we must keep shooting instead of overplaying around the box. We need to give Doidge and Reid better service and give ourselves a chance to score goals.

For me Drissa and KMB need to be in the squad, if not starting at least on the bench, I just cannot fathom out why they are not, I can only assume it’s a fallout (again).

I’m still hopeful but February could be a defining month in my opinion, if results don’t go our way I wouldn’t be opposed to Scott Lindsay taking over until the end of the season. I’ve sat behind the dugouts and In recent games when he has been in charge of the technical area its felt a more positive environment for the players and he has a good connection with the fans and from what I can gather with the players also.

Interesting times ahead...COME ON YOU ROVERSSSSSSS!!

This. It's where I'm at aswell. 50/50, and pretty much for exactly the same reasons.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Considering we pretty much have a whole new team trying to get used to playing together, I don't think there is any need to panic.

We've seen what they can do when things are going well and confidence is soaring (Cambridge).
We've also seen what can happen when everything is going against us (one silly mistake leading to a goal, poor decisions by officials or both).

I'm not defending MC and have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but he's bound to be feeling a massive amount of pressure right now. It's affecting him and maybe it's also affecting our players.

I hope we can get behind all of them and help them get the positivity back.

They have to approach every match knowing we can win and are just as good as everyone else in this league.
If we concede a goal, they need to have faith that they can score the next two! I know they can!! But only if they go for it and TRY.

They must never give up and accept defeat.

They have to be mentally strong and believe in themselves and we have to believe in them.

As for whether I honestly think we'll stay up and beat the drop?

Of course I do!
:D
Last edited by NewForestRover on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 pm

Its going to be very close, but i honestly believe we will stay up.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm

With the players we have now stay up but the issue is MC, can he or will change his philosophy no!!! but I think this could go to the wire, the fans will be happy MC a hero a scenario like last season at Wembley and we still retain league football but Jesus this has been some hell of a ride
Charlie5football
Youth
Youth

Postby nwrover » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 pm

This is nothing compared with the annual struggles to stay in the conference... twice savedmon last day of the season etc
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 pm

Charlie5football wrote:With the players we have now stay up but the issue is MC, can he or will change his philosophy no!!! but I think this could go to the wire, the fans will be happy MC a hero a scenario like last season at Wembley and we still retain league football but Jesus this has been some hell of a ride

Why will MC be a hero?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 pm

nwrover wrote:This is nothing compared with the annual struggles to stay in the conference... twice savedmon last day of the season etc

The difference though we were punching above our weight financially now we are not. Money isn't everything of course, you need the right people in place
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm

I think we need 20 more points to stay up. From 16 games. I'm afraid I just can't see it happening currently. We don't get enough shots on target and despite the defensive reinforcements, we still leak too many soft goals.

I really hope I'm wrong, of course, but I think we're going down :cry:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

SkunkMan wrote:I think we need 20 more points to stay up. From 16 games. I'm afraid I just can't see it happening currently. We don't get enough shots on target and despite the defensive reinforcements, we still leak too many soft goals.

I really hope I'm wrong, of course, but I think we're going down :cry:

As I said in another thread, if we can replicate the ppg we've managed so far against the bottom 10, 1.7, in the remaining 8 games we have against those sides, that will get us another 14 points. What we'll then need is another 6 or so from the other 8 games, which isn't impossible by any means.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:54 pm

So so so hope we stay up more than anything!!

However, after getting a bit more optimistic after the Cambridge game, I'm afraid I have lost all faith in Cooper.

I think he is a dreadful manager and will take us down, just my opinion mind.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't think he is good enough.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby tommyd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:04 pm

Does nobody else think there's just too much water under the bridge for cooper to turn it around? This is the worst chemistry between management and fans I can remember at the club. I don't demand a manager that wins every week but I'd like one that I can root for. I don't have that with MC. I want him to do well of course but only for the clubs sake. These issues were bubbling under last season despite the fact we got promoted so when the chips were down it's no surprise. more people should have seen this coming.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:11 pm

tommyd wrote:Does nobody else think there's just too much water under the bridge for cooper to turn it around? This is the worst chemistry between management and fans I can remember at the club. I don't demand a manager that wins every week but I'd like one that I can root for. I don't have that with MC. I want him to do well of course but only for the clubs sake. These issues were bubbling under last season despite the fact we got promoted so when the chips were down it's no surprise. more people should have seen this coming.

Superb post, I completely agree, Cooper this season has been the worst of both worlds, arrogant and unlikable, yet the results have been awful to go with the bluster.

I'm sorry if that upsets some people on here, but that is how I feel, and many others I know. He is not liked at FGR, and it is not good for us or Cooper to be honest!

Just hope he can learn some humility and a change of approach with his players most importantly and the club as a whole.

He could be managing at far worse clubs than FGR and he needs to realise that and quickly for of our sakes.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team