Name your match day squad

All about our First Team

Name your match day squad

Postby camel » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am

Right. The window has slammed shut and we now know our squad for the rest of the season. Personally I think we look heavy in some areas, lighter in others.

So what do you think our best team is? Rules are you need to name a starting XI and unlike Cooper on Wednesday, you have to also name the full 7 subs. You should pick from the whole squad, so take no notice of the 'naughty step'.

GK - 4

Collins
Belford
Russell
Pickering

RB - 1

Bennett

CB - 6

Rawson
Gunning
Hollis
Collins
Monthe
Roberts

LB - 3

Wishart
Laird
Whittle

defensive / holding midfield options - 4

Traore
Osbourne
Cooper
Clements

More attacking midfield options - 5

Marsh Brown
Brown
Grubb
Simpson
Bray

Strikers - 3

Reid
Doidge
Campbell

Hopefully I haven't missed anyone (I've deliberately not included players out on loan). If I have missed anyone point it out and I'll update the list.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Name your match day squad

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 am

I think our best team is probably as follows (3-4-1-2);

Russell; Rawson, Collins L, Gunning; Bennett, Traore, Osbourne, Wishart; Grubb; Doidge, Reid.

Feels very harsh on Brown, who I think has great feet and great potential, but I am not convinced we can win the midfield battle with Grubb and Brown as two of our three central midfielders.

Subs: Collins B, Laird, Hollis, Cooper, Clements, Brown, Campbell.

ALL OF WHICH IS OF COURSE TOTALLY IRRELEVANT - as I think there are players in both my Starting XI and on the bench who will never play for us again for whatever reason(s) :shock:

Personally I am not a fan of 3 at the back, preferring 4-2-3-1 with attacking full backs a la Tottenham - but I think in Bennett and Wishart we actually do have players who can fill the wing back roles and in Lee Collins, a centre back who can bring the ball out. I also think we have to play two strikers if we are playing with wing backs rather than wingers, as we have seen all season (before the signing of Reid) how isolated Doidge gets otherwise.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Collins, Bennett, Gunning, Rawson, Collins, Osbourne, Clements, Wishart, Grubb, Doidge, Reid. Subs :- Pickering, Hollis, Laird, Simpson, Bray, Marsh-Brown, Brown.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

3-5-2 B Collins, Rawson, L Collins, Gunning, Bennett, Wishart, Osbourne, Clements, Grubb, Doidge, Reid.

Subs: Russell, Hollis, Cooper, Traore, Brown, Bray, Campbell.

Think this system suits our players best, having not seen Clements it's a toss up between him and Traore, if Drissa can get back to his best I'd have him involved, if not then Clements can hopefully bring some quality and experience.

Personally don't think there's much to choose between the 2 goalkeepers at all, so on the basis that I think his reactions/shot stopping is that little bit sharper, I'd go for Collins.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby coyler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:51 pm

In football when the going gets tough, just go back to basics and simplify your game...442..Width, crosses, 2 big CF.

COLLINS
BENNETT GUNNING RAWSON WISHART
KMB TRAORE OSBOURNE GRUBB
REID DOIDGE

KMB and GRUBB to play wide but also free to come inside to allow the FBs to come forward. Grubb played coming in from the left for Weston I think.
"The people are free to do exactly what they are told"
coyler
First Team
First Team

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:54 pm

coyler wrote:In football when the going gets tough, just go back to basics and simplify your game...442..Width, crosses, 2 big CF.

COLLINS
REID DOIDGE

KMB and GRUBB to play wide but also free to come inside to allow the FBs to come forward. Grubb played coming in from the left for Weston I think.

You seriously can't find a place for Lee Collins....?!
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby coyler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Oh yeah forgot about him...with Drissa on the naught step he would play in CM.
"The people are free to do exactly what they are told"
coyler
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiemonster » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 pm

GETCARTER wrote:Collins, Bennett, Gunning, Rawson, Collins, Osbourne, Clements, Wishart, Grubb, Doidge, Reid. Subs :- Pickering, Hollis, Laird, Simpson, Bray, Marsh-Brown, Brown.

This one
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby gooseman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 pm

As always I can only view from afar. Unless there is a massive injury crisis / a total change of heart by the manager / player, I don't think your'll see KMB play again for FGR. His contract is up at the end of the season. I think he is just going through the motions, trains, plays in meaningless games, picks up his wages and is probably already engineering his next move for the start of next season. I also think Traore is in the same boat.

Like others the main change will be the use of Clements to play along side Osbourne. Collins will revert back to central defence with Gunning going to the left and Rawson to the right. Hollis goes to the bench. The main change will be subs, now that we can choose 7.

Collins
Rawson Collins Gunning
Bennett Clements Osbourne Wishart
Grubb
Doidge Reid

Subs Belford, Hollis, Brown, Campell. Bray, Laird, Cooper
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby mbroadbent » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm

3-4-1-2

B.Collins

Rawson, L.Collins, Gunning

Bennet, Traore, Osbourne, Wishart

Brown,

Reid,Doidge

Subs
Pickering
Monthe
Laird
Cooper
KMB
Grubb
Campbell
mbroadbent
Trainee
Trainee

Postby mbroadbent » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:49 pm

KMB and Traore are both probably done for the season. both at the gym at the stadium yesterday while the first team trained.

such a shame
mbroadbent
Trainee
Trainee

Postby nwrover » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Man City...
nwrover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby mbroadbent » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:52 pm

nwrover wrote:Man City...

:lol:
mbroadbent
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Philpot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:59 pm

coyler wrote:In football when the going gets tough, just go back to basics and simplify your game...442..Width, crosses, 2 big CF.

COLLINS
REID DOIDGE
Yes. Good horse sense. And everyone knows their role
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:33 pm

I would go with a defensive 532 that turns into an attacking 352, depending on what the team is trying to do.

Collins
Bennett, Gunning, Collins, Rawson, Wishart
Grubb, Osborne, Clements (or Brown)
Reid, Doidge

Subs: Russell, Hollis, Monthe, Traoré, KMB, Brown (or Clements), Campbell

I haven't seen Clements play yet so I can't honestly make a choice between him and Brown, which may seem like a bit of a cop out, but that is the way it is. If I am honest I would probably have had Charlie ahead of KMB on the bench, largely due to his work rate and the fact that he always looks bothered about contributing, regardless of their relative merits. However, given the fragile state of affairs off the pitch and the need to somehow unify the fans behind the team and management, there would be a risk of any progress being completely undone if Charlie entered the field of play. Whilst I think it is totally wrong to either select, or leave out, a player based on crowd opinion this may be one of those times where a sacrifice must be made for the general good.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:46 pm

mbroadbent wrote:KMB and Traore are both probably done for the season. both at the gym at the stadium yesterday while the first team trained.

such a shame

voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:56 pm

mbroadbent wrote:KMB and Traore are both probably done for the season. both at the gym at the stadium yesterday while the first team trained.

such a shame

I wouldn't read too much into that.

The players who played on Wednesday night would either only have had a light session or had the day off on Thursday. KMB and Traore weren't involved, so they would have been training.

Everyone said earlier in the season that KMB was on his way out, and wouldn't be involved again, but then he got back into the team. Still every chance that either he or Drissa could fight their way back in, who knows?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:13 pm

I'd go for your selection Foggy/Gooseman given KMB and Traore are unlikely to feature.

I agree with the unfamiliarity with Clements but we need a point and so I think Clements in the middle may give us the greater strength to stay in the game for longer even at the expense of creativity. So:

Collins
Bennett, Gunning, Collins, Rawson, Wishart
Grubb, Osborne, Clements
Reid, Doidge

Subs: Belford, Hollis, Monthe, Brown, Simpson, Campbell

I assume Pickering has gone because Belford is ready.

It will good to see Stokes again but I hope he has a shocker.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Go with that Tommo. Clements was brought in for a stiffening up of the backbone, using his experience around our relative newcomers to EFL football.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:

such a shame

Tony Harrison the shaman! Where's Naboo when you need him? And the image culled from CSICOP as well! Doubly made my day!!!
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team