Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Coventry City)

Postby andymac26 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Have to be honest, didn't sense that coming, but that seemed much more assured and confident. Cambridge - false dawn. Coventry - new dawn. Just maybe. More of the same at Newport and we'll surely look more like pulling off the great escape. Happy tonight, well done to all.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby garyjj » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:12 pm

The Jovial Forester wrote:
garyjj wrote:Brilliant perfume...

Sweet smell of success?

Performance :lol:
IReece styches number 1 fan. (Tunnels)
garyjj
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Running Rover » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Not much time to post as cooking the tea, but thoroughly enjoyed today and really pleased with the result which was thoroughly deserved.

Coventry's only goal was from a dubious penalty and they didn't create much more, which shows how well our defence played. Great performances from Hollis, Gunning , Rawson and Bennett at the back.

I genuinely think we may struggle to hold on to Grubb for long as that boy is class.

As for Lee Collins' winner, BOOM!!! :D
The Running Rover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm

garyjj wrote:
The Jovial Forester wrote:
garyjj wrote:Brilliant perfume...

Sweet smell of success?

Performance :lol:

Kind of guessed that's what you meant :lol:
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Philpot wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:Brilliant, Brilliant win and the first ever double in the football league, can we play Coventry City every week.

Final completed team sheet for those who print out a copy: http://www.forestgreenroversfc.co.uk/id31.html

Attendance: 3623 (992 from Coventry)

Man-of-the-Match: Lee Collins

Well done the team, Manager and the supporters.

LM

Your maths is badly WRONG. There were loads of badly positioned Coventry fans in front of me and the wife in the East Stand. You can argue that it’s difficult to police but if you don’t police it you will get extra revenue on the day but in the long run you will alienate your own customers.

Not my maths Philpot, that's the official figures for the match.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Three wins three losses since the transfer window kicked in. Great day today. And great result. CCFC fans in Stroud and on train magnanimous in defeat, we were the better team.

If posters on the forum can get out of the habit of panicking every time things don't go our way and then getting personal, then we'll be much stronger again. Go down the real social network, have a few sherberts after the game with real mates, and get it off your chest. Save the forum for considered opinion rather than personal jibes.

Keep calm and carry on. Long way to go yet, hopefully decades.

Looking forward to next Saturday. And then next Tuesday.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:51 pm

A very positive afternoon. A first for me, I sat in the main stand. After all the print regarding moaning, I never heard a single moan. Actually, many comments were of encouragement.
I was worried early on. Bennett looked ponderous and Osbourne didn't look his usual self. However, they improved greatly and took the game to Coventry. Brays kept Stokes on his toes on the right and Grubb looked lively on the left. I would agree that Reid is a very clever player. His hold up play is first class. His runs are direct and on several occasions Grubb could have played him in. The goal was warranted and we deserved the lead at half time.
Second half was an even affair. When you see the non penalties at Swindon and Carlisle and then Coventry are awarded what looked a dubious decision, you can feel that the world is against you. However, Collins strike was top draw. Fully deserved.
Thought Gunning, Rawson and Hollis deserve praise. Very strong collectively and individually.
Well done.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Jokerman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:13 pm

YOLK FLIES AS HUMBLE PIE COMPANY SHARES ROCKET. Saturday 3rd January 2018.

Forest Green Rovers return home today after two pointless journeys that have left the club in a far from desired position in the league table. Understandably the supporters are unhappy.
Recent success has overshadowed the fact that FGR are steeped in survival and with sixteen games remaining it would be unwise to write them off.
Today's visitors Coventry City have brought a huge contingent of nearly a thousand supporters as they strive to return to former glories. The layers have them nailed on to take the points.
Team news give a debut to Alex Bray who joins the familiar line-up.
A most impressive crowd of over three and a half thousand greet the teams under low clouds shedding a persistent drizzle.
Rovers make a bright start,Bray quickly into action winning a corner which is matched by Coventry at the other end.
The first goal chance falls to the visitors when a fine diagonal pass picks out Barrett on the left who cuts inside and brings a flying save from Collins.
Rovers reply through Bray making an eye catching run down the left. Soon after he crosses the ball from the right which has Burge the Coventry keeper fumbling the ball away from Doidge.
Good build up play from Rovers leads to Grubb setting up Osbourne for a shot on goal but his effort is disappointing from a good position.
A quick riposte by Coventry strikers Biamou and Barrett down the centre ends with the latter beating Collins only to see the ball go the wrong side of the post.
The game is free flowing with both sides allowed to play.
Rovers are edging the possession and on twenty two minutes Doidge finds room in the area. The ball is blocked but runs to Reid who looks sure to score close to the right hand post only to be denied by ex- Rover Stokes who does brilliantly to clear off the goal line.
The ball immediately transfers to the other end and McNulty,behind the defence is through on Collins who saves with his feet.
So close for both teams but Rovers continue to press.
39mins and they get their reward with another concerted attack on the Coventry goal.
Doidge under pressure on the edge of the box finds Grubb homing into the area on the left.
He strikes the ball low past Burge only to see it rebound off the foot of the right hand post. Bray lurking was never going to miss and smashed it into the net.
On the balance of play it was well deserved and the crowd rose in acclaim and the Green Army ramped up the vocals.
Coventrys response was defended well in the run-up to half-time.
There was a hopeful buzz amongst the home crowd during the interval.
The opening ten minutes of the second half soon dispelled any anxiety that Rovers would stand back as they attacked from the off winning a corner that was cleared.
On fifty two minutes a Grubb free-kick from the left was agonisingly close to Doidge where a touch would have doubled the score.
No sooner had the fans thought about regret Coventry equalised.
An attack that involved a dangerous ball across the area eventually went for a corner on the left.
Quickly taken it was played short and with Kelly in possession just inside the area he was fouled by Reid. The referee pointed to the spot as the home fans stomachs turned over.
McNulty taking an exaggerated run-up blasted the ball down the centre high into the net.
The Coventry faithful were wide awake now.
Osbourne who had taken a knock was subbed soon after and new signing Clements came on.
A minute later Rovers were back in front.
A Grubb free-kick on the left was cleared and the ball found it's way back to him. He worked an opening in from the left touchline and slipped the ball to Lee Collins still up in support. The big defender took a stride along the edge of the penalty area and struck an unstoppable right footer into the top left hand corner of the net. The ball fairly screamed into the rigging.
The east stand were on their feet and the Green Army were in chaos and why not it was breathtaking.
Coventry were stung and hit back winning a brace of corners the second of which ended in a desperate defensive action which left Rovers Gunning and Coventrys Davies on the floor.
The Coventry player was helped away in agony with a suspected collar bone injury.
On seventy three minutes Bray was replaced by Wishart. The crowd gave him a standing ovation as he left the field having left every ounce out there. He had made an impression.
On eighty minutes Coventry won a free-kick just outside the area and with the home fans clenching sub Clarke-Harris sent the ball about an inch wide of the left hand post.
Reid was replaced by Campbell on eighty two minutes.
As feared by Rovers supporters allowing for the injury break there were six minutes of added time.
The Rovers players were calmer and gave the impression they were never going to give this one away. Indeed they came close to adding to the scoreline on a break that saw both Doidge and Grubb have goal bound efforts blocked.
The referee sounded the final whistle bringing a terrific game of football to a close.
Forest Green Rovers were worthy winners with every player giving one hundred per cent.
They will go forward and upward on the back of this result and hopefully put an end to all the doom speculators who do not understand that football can make a fool out of all of us.
Jokerman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 pm

Can't add much to that-like most posters-and indeed the manager-defence was superb-and hollis seems another good acquisition.

Obviously-the last twenty minutes were bottom clenching-but deep down, for probably the first time in about 7 seasons, you felt the back four-supplemented by all the other outfield players were in reasonable control.
Neither did i feel a sense of the usual panic/inevitability when the opposition got a corner or free kick.
They just look and perform like 'proper' defenders-skilled, but no nonsense and just do the simple things well

Can' t disagree with l.collins as m-o m- but gunning,hollis,rawson equally deserving.

that given- whilst i was in north stand-away from his goal-the two saves that collins made in first half looked outstanding from 100 yards away,and if as good as they looked-as made before FGR scored-i wonder whether they alone were deserving of Bradley Collins being m-of m.
dread to think what would have happened if FGR went one or even two nil down.

were they as good as they looked from 100 yards away.?

In contrast-i had clear view of penalty decision-and to me-it was a clear cut (unnecessary ) penalty.

Thought the ref was good .

nice idea with the young girl reading out 'stadium rules '

my only disappointment was that FGR lost the 'warm -up ' (normally of course the opposite applies ).
Coventry had three times as many cones out as FGR did-and they were very pretty cones in white,green and even pink, and made lots of nice squares on the pitch
Thats obviously a sign of a proper and established league club .
Last edited by michael on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Apparently the CCFC man Davies broke his collarbone. He did look to be in agony.

Now looking forward to watching Collins' thunderbolt on Channel 5 as well as the penalty decision.

Did Ozzie sustain damage?
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 pm

[quote="michael"]Can't add much to that-like most posters-and indeed the manager-defence was superb-and hollis seems another good acquisition.

Can' t disagree with collins as m-o m- but gunning,hollis,rawson equally deserving.

that given- whilst i was in north stand-away from his goal-the two saves that collins made in first half looked outstanding from 100 yards away,and if as good as they looked-as made before FGR scored-i wonder whether they alone were deserving of Bradley Collins being m-of m.

The shot he parried away from the goal was a great reflex save, the second where their player broke through, he came out, made himself look big and threw himself at the shot managing to block it with a leg, slightly fortuitous maybe but he did make the save where to be fair we expected a goal to be the outcome.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 pm

michael wrote:Can't add much to that-like most posters-and indeed the manager-defence was superb-and hollis seems another good acquisition.

Obviously-the last twenty minutes were bottom clenching-but deep down, for probably the first time in about 7 seasons, you felt the back four-supplemented by all the other outfield players were in reasonable control.
Neither did i feel a sense of the usual panic/inevitability when the opposition got a corner or free kick.
They just look and perform like 'proper' defenders-skilled, but no nonsense and just do the simple things well

Can' t disagree with l.collins as m-o m- but gunning,hollis,rawson equally deserving.

In contrast-i had clear view of penalty decision-and to me-it was a clear cut (unnecessary ) penalty.

Thought the ref was good .

nice idea with the young girl reading out 'stadium rules '

my only disappointment was that FGR lost the 'warm -up ' (normally of course the opposite applies ).
Coventry had three times as many cones out as FGR did-and they were very pretty cones in white,green and even pink, and made lots of nice squares on the pitch
Thats obviously a sign of a proper and established league club .

The 2 saves were very good, it was a game today where you couldnt really argue with anyone being mom because we had 11. I too thought it was a penalty albeit all the way from the south stand.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 pm

What a change today compared to the tiki-taka style of play we tried to adopt earlier in the season. Football this afternoon was direct, pressing, generally forward, quick, decisive and incisive.
Says it all, really.

Several MoTM candidates,
Says it all, really.

Good win, and entertaining as well. I had my moneys worth.
Says it all, really.

I am well pleased.
Says it all, really.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fgr2016 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:17 pm

I saw Ozzy saying 10 minutes earlier "my ham" assuming hes hurt his hamstring
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby tommyd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:20 pm

fgr2016 wrote:I saw Ozzy saying 10 minutes earlier "my ham" assuming hes hurt his hamstring

Either that or he's broken the vegan food match day rule and bought in his own.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Cumbrian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Yeah, great performance today, could have gone either way but we got the goals we deserved, and kept Cov at bay well. I thought Grubb was excellent, hees all over the park and can terrorise defences if he can learn to release the ball at the right time he'll be a massive acquisition, but you cant argue with 2 assists. He does more in a game that KMB has done all season. My MoM was Rawson though, on the end of everything Coventry threw at us especially in their late onslaught.

So far, Coops seems to have acquired well during the window,
The Cumbrian
Reserves
Reserves

Postby stanman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:45 pm

There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Watshot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 pm

Very very happy, especially with our defence, proper solid defending especially Rawson.
Isaiah was magnificent in midfield for the hour or so he played, I hope he's Ok for Newport.
Great goal by Collins and best of all was the way we managed out the game when 2-1 up.
A double over Coventry City!
Watshot
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Phil_mitchell » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:26 pm

Great result.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team