Page 2 of 3

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:14 pm
by king giraffe III
Kentstripe wrote::lol:

Not a chance. I'm too big and ugly for that. As LG seems to be all too aware of.

Looking forward to Newport, whoever our manager is.


All I'm aware of is your white armour and hilarious meltdowns when it comes to your favourite number 15.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 pm
by king giraffe III
Tomiswalking wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:Paper talk on a slow week.

Tomiswalking, looks like it's your turn to have brought on the tears. :lol:

Always got the parking CHAOS to focus on.


Yes, total CHAOS. They're only hyping it because they live just down the A38 from M5. I left at the final whistle on Saturday and was home 20 miles away within an hour. Utter CHAOS.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 pm
by chrism
Hope he stays now he has made some promising signings and things hopefully will be turned around and we can look forward to a better season next year. Wouldn't want further disruption at a critical stage, and if M C goes then I think S L might follow.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 pm
by Timb
It looks to me like it's all likely to come together at FGR. Admittedly I've only seen the Cambridge and Coventry games since Xmas but looks good to me.

I could think of nothing more disruptive in February than losing our manager to a Championship Club, which surely is a significant signal that MC is doing something right.

TIW obviously doesn't like Mark, hey Ho. And won't be inviting him and Charlie around to his house for dinner anytime soon. Does anyone really have a concern on that front?

Looking forward to Saturday.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:05 pm
by tommyd
This doesn't come at a good time for us! Hope it is quickly put to bed so it doesn't cause disruption. If cooper was to go it needed to be weeks ago. as for Scott, I would have thought he would go with mark.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 pm
by Timb
Leaving on the final whistle and home before 6. That's good going LG. Glad to hear you got home so swiftly.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:35 pm
by Tomiswalking
Timb wrote:It looks to me like it's all likely to come together at FGR. Admittedly I've only seen the Cambridge and Coventry games since Xmas but looks good to me.

I could think of nothing more disruptive in February than losing our manager to a Championship Club, which surely is a significant signal that MC is doing something right.

TIW obviously doesn't like Mark, hey Ho. And won't be inviting him and Charlie around to his house for dinner anytime soon. Does anyone really have a concern on that front?

Looking forward to Saturday.


That's a bit of a weird thing to say. I don't rate him as manager for our club at the moment for various specific reasons, also i think he has other strengths as a manager too. This is what most people are able to do, form complex opinions. I don't have a personal relationship or would ever consider inviting a football manager or anyone else at the club around for dinner, im quite a private person.

I don't want him at the club any more, a few others probably agree, unfortunately for me he is not currently on good enough form for the championship. For others that want the stability more than change, this is probably a good thing.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 pm
by Bronco
Such a fear of 'disruption' when managerial changes usually have a short term positive impact. And anyway is bringing in half a dozen new players and transforming the first eleven in a couple of weeks not 'disruption'? Or is it that changing the team is good disruption but changing the manager is bad disruption?

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 am
by whoisit
No chance he's way down the pecking order .

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:34 am
by Stewjacksam
Won’t happen - with any job the journos will simply pull a list of seemingly credible names together - lazy journalism!

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 am
by Tommo
The Jovial Forester wrote:
Tommo wrote:...the upward curve of the season ...

Bit more gentle than that, more like the pitch when you concrete a driveway so the water drains off all right :D


:)

Hoping the curve increases rather trail off into a drain

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:32 am
by Tomiswalking
Tommo wrote:
The Jovial Forester wrote:
Tommo wrote:...the upward curve of the season ...

Bit more gentle than that, more like the pitch when you concrete a driveway so the water drains off all right :D


:)

Hoping the curve increases rather trail off into a drain
:D yep COYR

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:16 pm
by The Old TomCat
Tomiswalking wrote:Thanks, and bye!


Be careful what you wish for.
Recent post on Cheltenham forum reminding other Cheltenham fans that they petitioned to have Mark Yates removed after five good years as manager of club and at end of season they were relegated.

Because MC has been mentioned in connection with Barnsley job it shows the high opinion he is held outside TNL.

Where his detractors get muddled is between his PR and his ability as a coach. I think even MC's best friend would say he is a marmite type character in the Brian Clough style but he has delivered promotion in his first season and FGR play attractive type of game.

MC must work within a budget and despite FGR's 'moneybags' label it is not over-generous. Last summer he failed to attract certain players to club for various reasons. But come mid-season there has been an attitude change with decent players prepared to sign up such as Ossie Osbourne.
It is general consensus that FGR are starting to play winning football and our skirmish with relegation will be consigned to history.

Besides name a better manager who is available?

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:32 pm
by Kentstripe
Looking at the big picture, if survival is achieved, which is by no means guaranteed, then in 2 seasons in charge MC will have taken the club up a division and then kept it up in it's first season. Which is hardly a disastrous effort.

On paper we also now have the best group of players the club has ever had, including a number of good quality, seasoned pros already signed on for next season, which should definitely mean we have a more solid base to build from next year.

So although things aren't by any means perfect and we still face a tough battle to stay up, I also think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic in both the short and medium term. We have a team that looks well equipped for survival and this season's experience will definitely benefit the club, on and off the pitch going forward imo.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, nothing like a good relegation battle to keep things interesting, just like the good old days. ;)

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:45 pm
by Tomiswalking
I'm not a pessimist :) just don't like the way he leads. Isn't that okay?

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:52 pm
by SkunkMan
Kentstripe wrote:Looking at the big picture, if survival is achieved, which is by no means guaranteed, then in 2 seasons in charge MC will have taken the club up a division and then kept it up in it's first season. Which is hardly a disastrous effort.

On paper we also now have the best group of players the club has ever had, including a number of good quality, seasoned pros already signed on for next season, which should definitely mean we have a more solid base to build from next year.

So although things aren't by any means perfect and we still face a tough battle to stay up, I also think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic in both the short and medium term. We have a team that looks well equipped for survival and this season's experience will definitely benefit the club, on and off the pitch going forward imo.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, nothing like a good relegation battle to keep things interesting, just like the good old days. ;)


Wise words. Agree 100%. Although I do think that MC is a tad fortunate that he has a Chairman with the funds and faith to back him so strongly in the January window.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 pm
by king giraffe III
The Old TomCat wrote:
Tomiswalking wrote:Thanks, and bye!


Be careful what you wish for.
Recent post on Cheltenham forum reminding other Cheltenham fans that they petitioned to have Mark Yates removed after five good years as manager of club and at end of season they were relegated.

Because MC has been mentioned in connection with Barnsley job it shows the high opinion he is held outside TNL.


All it shows is that he's been mentioned in a newspaper story.

Where his detractors get muddled is between his PR and his ability as a coach. I think even MC's best friend would say he is a marmite type character in the Brian Clough style but he has delivered promotion in his first season and FGR play attractive type of game.


I don't see any confusion. Tim Harris came across as a thoroughly decent man but his two spells at FGR speak for themselves. MC tends to be one of those managers who starts well in the league and is good in knockout tournament football.

MC must work within a budget and despite FGR's 'moneybags' label it is not over-generous. Last summer he failed to attract certain players to club for various reasons. But come mid-season there has been an attitude change with decent players prepared to sign up such as Ossie Osbourne.
It is general consensus that FGR are starting to play winning football and our skirmish with relegation will be consigned to history.

Besides name a better manager who is available?


You do realise you can sign managers who aren't free agents?

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:40 pm
by GETCARTER
MC is the messiah - i should know, ive followed a few !!!.

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 pm
by Tomiswalking
Blessed are the (vegan) cheesemakers!

Re: Coops linked to Barnsley job

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:20 am
by andymac26
It's a sign.