All about our First Team

Most alarming

Postby King George » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

King George
First Team
First Team

Re: Most alarming

Postby tommyd » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:21 pm

This isn't news, we all knew this didn't we?
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby King George » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:22 pm

tommyd wrote:This isn't news, we all knew this didn't we?

Yes but just puts things into perspective, that's a big loss to be running at, especially for a league 2 club.
King George
First Team
First Team

Postby timelapse 72 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Not really a problem but if Dale walked away it would be like pulling the plug out the bathtub.
timelapse 72
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Kentstripe » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Losses down 300k on the previous year at least, so some good news there,
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby King George » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:30 pm

timelapse 72 wrote:Not really a problem but if Dale walked away it would be like pulling the plug out the bathtub.

If Dale walked away we would be out of business the very next day, no doubt about it.
King George
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:30 pm

timelapse 72 wrote:Not really a problem but if Dale walked away it would be like pulling the plug out the bathtub.

True.

We knew about 2016 and I guess there was no reason why 2017 would be much less challenging. It’s good and a bit surprising, actually, that the loss has come down.

This was the investment DV made in marketing to get his message to League 2 audiences. Probably well worth it just on that basis.

Also, he always said that the loss would come down once we started to get the trickle down EFL money (about £1m per year now I think). No doubt expenses have also gone up but 2018 figures will be interesting.

I would have thought that DV is going to have to find a way to bring the losses down over the next few years but I’m hoping he is continuing to be ok short term with the current level.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi
Tommo wrote:
timelapse 72 wrote:This was the investment DV made in marketing to get his message to League 2 audiences. Probably well worth it just on that basis

Those are the figures reported to April 2017; so what do they have to do with League 2?
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Dale won't have had to fork much out for advertising so its probably worked out ok for him. Its not ideal obviously but we are becoming a bigger club which will in turn build revenue.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby camel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:35 pm

I imagine it's far more complicated than it appears. The losses of FGR can probably, to an extent be written off against some profit of the parent company and save on some tax etc so it's probably not as bad as it appears.

I'd say it's good it's gone down and I'm sure Eco / Dale have a plan to get it down further. Selling some of these young players when they reach their potential is going to be a big part of that.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Just remember which paper this is being reported by.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby timelapse 72 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
Tommo wrote:
timelapse 72 wrote:This was the investment DV made in marketing to get his message to League 2 audiences. Probably well worth it just on that basis

Those are the figures reported to April 2017; so what do they have to do with League 2?

I said that did I? read back.
timelapse 72
Reserves
Reserves

Postby fgr2016 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:18 pm

My understanding was DV arrived when the club were going bankrupt. would hardly call the club running at a loss as "alarming"
fgr2016
Reserves
Reserves

Postby camel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:Just remember which paper this is being reported by.

It's in the accounts published on Companies House and they've quoted the figures. I take your point that they do tend to only report with a negative spin or story. Id already seen it earlier this week when someone told me they were up. As always it's hard to tell too much from the figures as they are at a relatively high level, but a reduction in losses is only a good thing. Promotion to L2 isn't a magic wand to make us profitable overnight. That will come from continued growth in gates and other revenue (e.g. TV).
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Yes, how dare they report figures from Companies House. You need to get over this obsessive hatred you seem to have of anything but the SNJ.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:55 pm

what month was Pinnock transferred to barnsley ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Call me over simplistic, but if I have £100 in my pocket, and lose two pound coins down the back of the settee, I'm not going to stick my head in the oven.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:00 pm

king giraffe III wrote:

Yes, how dare they report figures from Companies House. You need to get over this obsessive hatred you seem to have of anything but the SNJ.

It is hardly an obsessive hatred, is it?When was the last time the Citizen printed a good story about FGR?I'm betting nobody can remember. Digs at the club are plentiful, however. I didn't see a full page spread of Cheltenham's losses.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Norton Boy wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:

It is hardly an obsessive hatred, is it?When was the last time the Citizen printed a good story about FGR?I'm betting nobody can remember. Digs at the club are plentiful, however. I didn't see a full page spread of Cheltenham's losses.

Do you buy the Express expecting to read how great Jeremy Corbyn is? With you, yes, probably. :lol: As soon as we get any bad press there is a maximum mope-arama on here.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Over reacting and santimonious as ever.It is hardly moping if LM points out a paper doesnt like us.
You just dont get it do you.Maybe you should go re-read what i said.(I believe that is the sort of comment you usually put to try and sound clever isnt it?
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team