Most alarming

All about our First Team

Re: Most alarming

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:54 am

I see Gloucestershire Live have reported on Cheltenham's latest accounts. Seems to have been ignored on here.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Penda's Fen

Re: Most alarming

Postby Electric Chair » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 pm

That's not quite right KG.

Gloslive get FGR accounts direct from companies house website, the day they are published there, then run them as they see them - without coming to FGR for a comment.

What you've seen about CTFC is not a report on their latest accounts as such, it's a cut and paste from a CTFC press release, which reflects on the last two seasons. One of which (the previous one) was loss making - but you never read that in Glos live (before - like when it happened), because they don't publish CTFC accounts in that way.

The difference is that FGR accounts are reported on unilaterally, on the day of publication.....and CTFC are not reported on unless the club puts out a story, as they did this week.

Of course CTFC's loss last year was small compared to FGR's - but so are their ambitions. You're unlikely to read about CTFC outside of Glos live...........:)
Last edited by Electric Chair on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Electric Chair
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby The Game Within » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Well said electric chair.
The Game Within
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Electric Chair wrote:That's not quite right KG.

Gloslive get FGR accounts direct from companies house website, the day they are published there, then run them as they see them - without coming to FGR for a comment.

What you've seen about CTFC is not a report on their latest accounts as such, it's a cut and paste from a CTFC press release, which reflects on the last two seasons. One of which (the previous one) was loss making - but you never read that in Glos live (before - like when it happened), because they don't publish CTFC accounts in that way.

The difference is that FGR accounts are reported on unilaterally, on the day of publication.....and CTFC are not reported on unless the club puts out a story, as they did this week.

Of course CTFC's loss last year was small compared to FGR's - but so are their ambitions. You're unlikely to read about CTFC outside of Glos live...........:)


Electric Chair, I creased up with laughter with your closing paragraph. :D
Well said.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Most alarming

Postby redrobin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:45 pm

well that takes the biscuit Electric Chair
All my life I've been doing the wrong thing.. :roll: .... building a successful business by controlling costs and making profits ..
I really should have been more ambitious ....and lost money hand over fist at the same time, ... the lunatics are running the asylum.

Is it possible you work for local government or the health service ? :lol:
can't beat a good rib - eye !
redrobin
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Electric Chair wrote:That's not quite right KG.

Gloslive get FGR accounts direct from companies house website, the day they are published there, then run them as they see them - without coming to FGR for a comment.

What you've seen about CTFC is not a report on their latest accounts as such, it's a cut and paste from a CTFC press release, which reflects on the last two seasons. One of which (the previous one) was loss making - but you never read that in Glos live (before - like when it happened), because they don't publish CTFC accounts in that way.

The difference is that FGR accounts are reported on unilaterally, on the day of publication.....and CTFC are not reported on unless the club puts out a story, as they did this week.

Of course CTFC's loss last year was small compared to FGR's - but so are their ambitions. You're unlikely to read about CTFC outside of Glos live...........:)


So why is this the apparent case? Genuine question. Is it personal?
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
User avatar
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Penda's Fen

Re: Most alarming

Postby tommyd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm

redrobin wrote:well that takes the biscuit Electric Chair
All my life I've been doing the wrong thing.. :roll: .... building a successful business by controlling costs and making profits ..
I really should have been more ambitious ....and lost money hand over fist at the same time, ... the lunatics are running the asylum.

Is it possible you work for local government or the health service ? :lol:


I think the point RR, is that what Dale is trying to achieve is bigger than just a profitable football club (which will come in time anyway) and that FGR have been a great advertising tool, not just for ecotricity but for the wider message of environmental responsibility. I think Dale has done what most other wealthy people rarely do and put his money where his mouth is. Can't argue with that.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby andymac26 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 pm

...and as I see it, you've missed the point red robin. You have to look at the big picture with the link to ecotricity. The loss reflects marketing and advertising costs for ecotricity, as DV pointed out earlier this week. Whether people like that or not, it is not reflecting poor business in the big picture as I see it.
User avatar
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 pm
Location: Hampshire.

Re: Most alarming

Postby Timb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 pm

If it personal then it shows how little The Citizen is. Village politics "I dont like you"

I don't always see eye to eye with DV. But to see investment like we have witnessed at FGR is the stuff that dreams are made of. The New Lawn was built to bring the club on, in line with the ambition of previous Chairmen and volunteers investor directors, including the late Keith and Carol Embrey.

To see the Carol Embrey Suite so busy last night, on a freezing Tuesday night in February, cemented the reality of far larger support for FGR than in previous seasons on our March up the greasy pole.

DV has always stated that FGR will only become sustainable when it reaches the EFL. I expect that to be the case.

The whole Eco message can only be knocked by people with a real grudge against FGR. (back to the village mentality of Glos Live). And cretin blogs like the Stevenage one on the match thread.

I sat and got talked to by a guy down from Stockport last night (92 club). He had a right moan about our really rubbish phone system. Which needs to be sorted out. He then went on about the food and all that vegan stuff. He was taken aback that he really properly enjoyed it and probably the best he's had at a football match. So up yours SBFC or SFC as you now like to be known. Open your eyes RR and give yourself a break from the steak, before you turn permanently red in the face.

Good luck to you for the rest of the season and keep watching and learning.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 5725
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby Foggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 pm

I am on my travels at the moment, currently on a lovely island called Caye Caulker off the coast of Belize. One of the group I am travelling with is a footy fan, although not really a specific team, when I told him who I supported it wasn't greeted with the usual confused look but a resounding..."at least you are a proper fan". Some of that was because I am a season ticket holder, which he thought counted for something, but also because I don't take the easy route and just follow a big team

I set a precedent on my last big trip, two years ago, and the team went unbeaten while I was away...I think we won five and drew two...at least we are already off to a decent start...hopefully that can continue until I return.

COYR
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4742
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Most alarming

Postby tommyd » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:04 am

Foggy wrote:I am on my travels at the moment, currently on a lovely island called Caye Caulker off the coast of Belize. One of the group I am travelling with is a footy fan, although not really a specific team, when I told him who I supported it wasn't greeted with the usual confused look but a resounding..."at least you are a proper fan". Some of that was because I am a season ticket holder, which he thought counted for something, but also because I don't take the easy route and just follow a big team

I set a precedent on my last big trip, two years ago, and the team went unbeaten while I was away...I think we won five and drew two...at least we are already off to a decent start...hopefully that can continue until I return.

COYR


Stay away, we'll be in the champions league in a few years :lol:
Typical though isn't it?!
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby The Jovial Forester » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 am

tommyd wrote:
Foggy wrote:I am on my travels at the moment, currently on a lovely island called Caye Caulker off the coast of Belize. One of the group I am travelling with is a footy fan, although not really a specific team, when I told him who I supported it wasn't greeted with the usual confused look but a resounding..."at least you are a proper fan". Some of that was because I am a season ticket holder, which he thought counted for something, but also because I don't take the easy route and just follow a big team

I set a precedent on my last big trip, two years ago, and the team went unbeaten while I was away...I think we won five and drew two...at least we are already off to a decent start...hopefully that can continue until I return.

COYR


Stay away, we'll be in the champions league in a few years :lol:
Typical though isn't it?!

We could have a whipround to send Foggy on the world cruise of a lifetime :D
User avatar
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby Tommo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:54 am

Another helpful intervention EC.

I'm proud to be associated, in a small way, with a club with ambitions that are big and beyond individual results on the pitch.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9205
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Most alarming

Postby Chrisgump11 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 pm

There is so much that could be said on this subject. But I don't want to be too hard on RR whose contributions to our forum are usually in good humoured local rivalry

One of the differences between Dale and the 'standard football chair' is that the rewards he seeks are ethical. Would that there were more like him. And he tries to run FGR as a proper business, albeit one in which he makes generous investment. FGR is (thank heavens) not the ridiculous hire-him-fire-him basket case that so many ambitious clubs become. Sure mistakes are made but you don't make a Q-pie without cracking a few Quorns

Jealousy is a terrible poison and is the root cause for much criticism from the great unwashed beyond the 5 Valleys. Who cares? Those who take a proper look at what the club is doing - eg the National TV & Media paint a far more complimentary picture. Also, in writing 2 books about the club in recent years, the discerning interest I have received in FGR from far and wide is inspiring and humbling. Like others, I am proud of Dale and our present set up, just as i was of those who led us in previous eras.

Sustainability will take time but the foundations were laid several years ago. For example, in accordance with Dale's long term plan, the Academy and Development squad has been getting stronger and stronger. For those who don't know these things, until we became an EFL member, the club was prevented from offering contracts to good academicians nor helped by finance from other football pockets. That meant our young stars were poached with regularity. Now we can and do and already the likes of Jordan Stevens are bringing rewards and there are plenty of others knocking on the door of first team appearances. Yet another amazing feature of a tiny, supposedly rugby dominated area. And recently, goalkeeping has been added to the specialist sourcing and coaching plan

I was passed this interview of Brian Tinnion at Bristol City: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/brian-tinnion-loan-update/ Establishing a flow of high quality young players takes years, but City are now benefitting from a rush of young blood in the current squad. Patience and investment rewarded

And just look at how the Club as a whole has embraced Ambassadors and their families, the greatest proportion of our growing support.

Ok, Cheltenham Town take a different route to sustainability. Good luck to them. But that means a raft of loanees every year to replace the ones who move on and dubious tapping up tactics supported by their friends in the Press. And the result? Falling gates from the 4,500 mark of years ago to nearer 3,000 and a Grandstand that should be in a museum. I said at the start of the season that the best thing to happen to the Robins for 2017/18 was our promotion - a new motivation for their club to kick on as the prospect of being overtaken by vegan hicks would have been unimaginable. But who would bet against FGR becoming the bigger club in every sense of the word in the next few years?

Every future upward step we take gets harder. But 33 years ago when I first watched an FGR match, I could never have dreamed of the thrilling encounters and big crowds that have marked this campaign. And I wouldn't swap that for anything regardless where this season leaves us
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3418
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby Football Poets » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Great post Chris.
FOOTBALL POETS
"The only know collective of football poets in the World" Today BBC Radio 4.
Archived by the British Library with 16000 football poems published.
http://footballpoets.org
User avatar
Football Poets
Reserves
Reserves
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:34 pm
Location: Butterow, Stroud .Glos

Re: Most alarming

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:39 pm

As i have seen Brian Tinnion at our games quite frequently for the past few seasons - why cannot we get some BCFC players on loan, given our good rapport between the two clubs?.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby biggazza » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:21 pm

A lot of BCFC good youngsters go out on loan to Cheltenham as the Johnsons like to keep it in the family
biggazza
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby NewForestRover » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:44 pm

I love your posts ChrisG.

So often you say everything that I want to say but put it much better than I ever could.

And you make my positive feelings even more positive!
:)
Always Looking On The Bright Side
User avatar
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: Most alarming

Postby Foggy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:17 pm

The Jovial Forester wrote:We could have a whipround to send Foggy on the world cruise of a lifetime :D


I would be quite happy for this to happen, now in Panajachel in Guatemala, return to the UK in just under three weeks...can extend my absence if the run continues, though I am really missing my regular footy fix.

A win on Saturday could have us looking in a far better position than we might have imagined just a few weeks ago, though Crawley will not be a push-over and I expect them to put our recent good home form to a serious test.

COYR
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4742
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Re: Most alarming

Postby Foggy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:08 pm

That is it, after the result today, I am staying away!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
User avatar
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4742
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mix grumble, tommyd and 1 guest

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.

cron