Most alarming

All about our First Team

Re: Most alarming

Postby Lady Magpie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Norton Boy wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:Just remember which paper this is being reported by.

Yes, how dare they report figures from Companies House. You need to get over this obsessive hatred you seem to have of anything but the SNJ.

It is hardly an obsessive hatred, is it?When was the last time the Citizen printed a good story about FGR?I'm betting nobody can remember. Digs at the club are plentiful, however. I didn't see a full page spread of Cheltenham's losses.

Thanks Norton Boy, you understand my point I was making.

king giraffe III - your not going to wind me up anymore with your sly quips etc. Passed all that thanks.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
Tommo wrote:
timelapse 72 wrote:This was the investment DV made in marketing to get his message to League 2 audiences. Probably well worth it just on that basis

Those are the figures reported to April 2017; so what do they have to do with League 2?

That investment in 2017 got him promotion which gives him a bigger platform for his message including across League 2.

Michael - looks like the Ecotricity tax year/financial statements run to end of April so Pinnock’s transfer wouldn’t be included I don’t believe.

I agree with others that transfer revenue could be a good way of offsetting the operating losses arising from our relatively small crowds for the level we are trying to play at. But those crowds are increasing and that will also help.

A huge amount depends on us staying up.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Whilst money is obviously very important I think we are at least blessed with a chairman who doesn't see that as the be all and end all. Obviously the money is a big issue but whilst he's got it I think we will too.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lawncider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 pm

If Ecotricity make an 2 million pound profit and then FGR a 2 million pound loss there is no tax to pay. That is how I read it.

FGR are part of the Ecotricity group now.

If Ecotricity make losses then is the time to worry.
Lawncider
First Team
First Team

Postby Robert+89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am

If it was that bad then he would not of let Noble go on a free. They also would of sold doidge.Nothing to worri about also its the financial year not football league year.
Robert+89
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 am

So basically, in the last financial year, FGR reduced it's losses by 300k on the previous year. And still got promoted.

This does not include the income gained from competing in the play-offs, promotion to the EFL or the subsequent sales of Pinnock, Stevens and the sell-on received for Moore or indeed the large increase in average crowds this season. I would be very surprised if next years figures aren't another step in the right direction.

All of this also doesn't take into account the hugely increased exposure for both Ecotricity and DV's wider ethical message that promotion to the EFL has allowed, at times on a global scale, something which would have cost the company a fair amount in straightforward advertising.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 pm

It also doesn't include "income" which will be here for this season in the form of our share of the TV contract divided between the Premier Championship and EFL clubs.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Timb wrote:It also doesn't include "income" which will be here for this season in the form of our share of the TV contract divided between the Premier Championship and EFL clubs.

My guess is the citizen won't be rushing to report on next years balance sheet.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Electric Chair » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Guys, Thought I’d pop in and share my perspective.

There's nothing to be alarmed at. We made good progress last year with losses reducing circa 300k and in a promotion season as someone said.

Those figures don’t include Wembley, Ethan Pennock and all sorts of stuff that falls into the next year (our financial year ends April 31).

This season we’ve seen a big increase in gates and all other streams of revenue, and we are well on course to be in the black, which is pretty much what we were aiming for in L2.

And as someone just said, Citizen unlikely to rush to publicise those figures when they come out. Do they actually cover GCFC or CTFC or Glos Rugby figures - never seen that....

Oh and our media reach is well over 1.5 billion people, so far, on TV, radio, online and print. Well worth a £2m marketing spend IMO.

Cheers.
Electric Chair
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Lady Magpie wrote:
Norton Boy wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:
Lady Magpie wrote:Just remember which paper this is being reported by.

Yes, how dare they report figures from Companies House. You need to get over this obsessive hatred you seem to have of anything but the SNJ.

It is hardly an obsessive hatred, is it?When was the last time the Citizen printed a good story about FGR?I'm betting nobody can remember. Digs at the club are plentiful, however. I didn't see a full page spread of Cheltenham's losses.

Thanks Norton Boy, you understand my point I was making.

king giraffe III - your not going to wind me up anymore with your sly quips etc. Passed all that thanks.

Once again you are (a) missing the point, and (b) seeing things which aren't there.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Electric Chair wrote:Hi Guys, Thought I’d pop in and share my perspective.

There's nothing to be alarmed at. We made good progress last year with losses reducing circa 300k and in a promotion season as someone said.

Those figures don’t include Wembley, Ethan Pennock and all sorts of stuff that falls into the next year (our financial year ends April 31).

This season we’ve seen a big increase in gates and all other streams of revenue, and we are well on course to be in the black, which is pretty much what we were aiming for in L2.

And as someone just said, Citizen unlikely to rush to publicise those figures when they come out. Do they actually cover GCFC or CTFC or Glos Rugby figures - never seen that....

Oh and our media reach is well over 1.5 billion people, so far, on TV, radio, online and print. Well worth a £2m marketing spend IMO.

Cheers.

Brilliant!
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm

I think anyone who takes an interest in this knows that there is unlikely to be any significance to be attached to the "bottom line" negative number for this financial year-end (unlike that certain local "waste paper" rag), but it is hugely reassuring, Electric Chair, for you to sketch in a little more of the detail. Thanks.

Onwards and upwards, fellow fans and Citizens.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:34 pm

When you consider Dale's last sentence, in terms of how far the green message is going, and think of the spend big companies make on advertising and marketing, seems cost effective to me in the big picture.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Cheers.

Fantastic news. Thanks so much!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby SNJ Ash » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 am

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Cheers.

Yep thanks EC for posting, a good read. I may not actively support all your principles (yet) but you are a breath of fresh air in the football industry, I am so desperate to get some of these so called "football people" (I call them dinosaurs) out of the game (which I love) and get more professionalism and balance to the industry.

"Well worth a £2m marketing spend IMO." - great to see you state this. For the last 5+ years i've been arguing to so many people your involvement is surely very much based on this as makes perfect business sense. Yes sounds like great value.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:05 pm

I just think it's so brilliant EC that you post on this forum.

Thank you.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Havelock » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 pm

The debt is not sustainable?
No further comment!
Havelock wrote:Pitchfork. To get the extra £1 million, FGR have to get Football league status. That still leaves a £1.5 million shortfall.

Grimsby in 2015 sold over 4,000 season tickets. This is double FGR conference crowd. This level of debt is not sustainable,. It is built on the premise of some new ground. Not ten years since a previous new ground. And the move there to the new lawn proved disastrous with a VAT bill.

Today FGR are in a loss of close to £5 million. Yet in 2006 in a new ground, having sold the lawn for ...

Havelock wrote:Grimsby Town Turnover 2016. £2.4 million. Slight profit of £59,000
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/ar ... 93474.aspx

FGR Loss. £2.5 million.?
<*))))>< Well how well that could describe our life, we sing the cross ><((((*>
Havelock
First Team
First Team

Postby camel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 am

I'm looking forward to the next accounts as they sound even more positive than id expected and will be a good measure of where we are going.

In business there are costs associated with growth. For Tesco that might be buying more shops, for a printers it might be upgrading their technology and systems, for a life company it might be building a new product and platforms etc. Why would football be any different?

The main thing for us is we are growing crowd numbers, TV revenue etc. The exact opposite could be said elsewhere. So I think there is plenty to be optimistic about.
camel
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 am

I keep going back to the fact that we own our own ground. That is a major asset that could keep us viable as a football team. Question will be, what happens when we move. Will we sell the ground and rent the new ground?

That would be a bad move in my opinion.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team