Match thread from The New Lawn (Stevenage)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Stevenage)

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 pm

I have complained about MC and the club recently, but I'm going to shut up for a while now and give them a real chance for at least this season.

I like the setup, I like the more direct tactics, I like the way the players know where each other are and can move quickly as a team creating an attacking advantage, I like having a second striker and knowing that if they are one on one with the keeper they will score, I like having at least 4 players who can skin their man, I like free kicks played forwards, I like it when three players are on one of ours and we come out with the ball, I like the risk and the goals. I like winning.

Thanks DV and MC for making this all happen.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Good. and when it doesn't quite go to plan, stick to the plans and get it back on track.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Timb wrote:Good. and when it doesn't quite go to plan, stick to the plans and get it back on track.

:) im glad the fans have been honest on the forum and in the stands, I feel we have been listened to now though.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 pm

tommyd wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:I've never blamed him.
There are often complaints on here about MC not acknowledging the South Stand but why should he?

I'm sure he has a good enough memory to recall the booing, the abuse and insults aimed at the team but especially Brad, Charlie and himself coming from a section of the South Stand. His son doesn't even play at home anymore.

You can't expect him to be happy with those particular fans. Even if the majority standing there are not guilty of doing it.

Just because results have improved and the abuse has eased off, the same fans are still in the same place and he's not going to forgive them that easily is he?

It's called being the bigger person. a manager is meant to bring the club together for the greater good.
Yes there were fans that were guilty of booing (quite common in football when you're performing so poorly, as we did for a large chunk of the season) but there are plenty who also stuck up for him, Brad and Charlie.
Two wrongs don't make a right and all that...

No, they don't but I was just thinking how MC might be feeling and how I would feel if I were him.

Maybe you don't feel like the bigger person if so many have been against you. Maybe you feel quite small and frequently up against it.

He must know NL very well. Where the support is coming from and where the 'baddies' are.
If some have caused him problems in the past, why would he applaud them?
It takes time to forgive and forget.

I'm 100% positive that at end of season when we are all celebrating survival, he will do just that.
Forgive, forget, wave, clap, appreciate and thank us all.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby OldManDave » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 am

The point about Dan Wishart's booking was surely that he had attempted to block a throw-in just a minute or so earlier by standing within arm's length of the Stevenage thrower. He was moved and presumably spoken to by the ref but he then repeated the tactic, although not quite so close, at the next throw-in and the ref obviously remembered! A bit like standing over the ball to prevent a free kick being taken really.
Someone on here complained about throwers-in pinching yards but one ref recently was onto that - was it the Coventry game? Anyway, good to see Hollis galloping along the touchline with his throws!! :D
OldManDave
Reserves
Reserves

Postby lovejoy2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 am

OldManDave wrote:The point about Dan Wishart's booking was surely that he had attempted to block a throw-in just a minute or so earlier by standing within arm's length of the Stevenage thrower. He was moved and presumably spoken to by the ref but he then repeated the tactic, although not quite so close, at the next throw-in and the ref obviously remembered! A bit like standing over the ball to prevent a free kick being taken really.
Someone on here complained about throwers-in pinching yards but one ref recently was onto that - was it the Coventry game? Anyway, good to see Hollis galloping along the touchline with his throws!! :D

Was a strange one. At first I thought the referee was going to book the Stevenage player for time wasting.

Your explanation now makes more sense although some consistency would have been good. Every free kick their players tried to stop a quick one being taken. Once even kicking the ball away right in front on the red and he did nothing. Then add the dives and horrible tackle on Bennet in the first half, there should have been a few more yellows.
lovejoy2
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Just a reminder to fans.
I posted this after the Exeter defeat, so please don’t go off the deep end after the next defeat.
For there will be one.....

Calm down everyone. After the last three defeats AWAY it is disappointing not to have scored a goal. But tonight look at the opposition, who if they win their two matches in hand would be second in the table only three points behind leaders Luton.

I said previously and will repeat it again, the matches the club MUST target to win are those against the teams in the bottom 8 of the division. Take points off those in and around you and you will be safe. Those games are still to come and mostly at home.

I like many who have followed the club over the years have been there before. Continually slagging off the players and management will just give you high blood pressure. Walk away from your computer for a day and save yourself all the hassle. Sensible analysis is more therapeutic even if you do not realise it at the time.

END OF QUOTE
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
Philpot wrote:
The most rediculous was Wisharts booking. The defender pinched a good 15 yards to take a throw in and the ref booked Wishart for standing 4 yards from him.

The booking does seem weird if your estimate of his distance from the thrower is correct, but we shouldn't be too critical of players pinching distance.
Look at how much DB pinched in the run up to the our first goal.
FA law 15
throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play
All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.

Law 15 seems problematic. So DW plants himself two yards from where (he thinks) the throw is due to be taken. His opponent steals an extra two yards in taking the throw, thus ending up zero yards from DW. Who has broken the law?
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:55 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Greeners wrote:Hi
Philpot wrote:
The most rediculous was Wisharts booking. The defender pinched a good 15 yards to take a throw in and the ref booked Wishart for standing 4 yards from him.

The booking does seem weird if your estimate of his distance from the thrower is correct, but we shouldn't be too critical of players pinching distance.
Look at how much DB pinched in the run up to the our first goal.
FA law 15
throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play
All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.

Law 15 seems problematic. So DW plants himself two yards from where (he thinks) the throw is due to be taken. His opponent steals an extra two yards in taking the throw, thus ending up zero yards from DW. Who has broken the law?

Yep especially if refs enforce the rule differently enough to result in a yellow card. Must admit though this ref did loose a little control of the game, he gave a red and a few yellows which could have been avoided if a yellow had been given for one of the bad tackles at the start of the game. Still a good game.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 pm

FootieMan wrote:Just a reminder to fans.
I posted this after the Exeter defeat, so please don’t go off the deep end after the next defeat.
For there will be one.....

To be fair the fans have been amazing, so many ups and downs like a roller coaster. Still a huge crowd on a freezing Tuesday night shows the majority haven't jumped.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Adding to t i w's attendance comment, what was this online attendance due to?:

"Most users ever online was 279 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:03 pm"
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Well spotted!!
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Seat C32 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Having watched the game against Stevenage on Tuesday evening I was interested to find out who was the referee, having seen one of the most bizarre displays by the man in black for many years.

Today I have been at home recovering from having a tooth extracted and basically had nothing to do, so sadly I looked up the record of the afore mentioned Graham Salisbury (let's call him Adolf, without moustache, from now on).

Since the records, season (2001-2002), began Adolf has refereed 553 games. He has booked 1622 (average 2.93 per game) and sent off 97 players((average .17 per game)

Very interestingly, if any of this post is interesting, Adolf, this year must reached his mid-life crisis. As most of us in the East Stand have also reached this era in our lives, or in my case gone way past it, we know what we are talking about.

This year he has goose stepped around for 30 games and has already booked 126 players (average 9 per game) and sent off 9 players (average .3 per game). He no longer refs. anything better than League 1 and 2, last did a Championship game in Sept. 2015. Perhaps those in the know or in his case obviously don't know, they should quietly and politely retire him.

But whatever they decide, please do not send him back to TNL.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Having watched the red card numerous times now, I have to say I think the ref probably made the wrong decision.
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:24 pm

The only logical conclusion LG.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Lady Magpie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Seat C32 wrote:Having watched the game against Stevenage on Tuesday evening I was interested to find out who was the referee, having seen one of the most bizarre displays by the man in black for many years.

Today I have been at home recovering from having a tooth extracted and basically had nothing to do, so sadly I looked up the record of the afore mentioned Graham Salisbury (let's call him Adolf, without moustache, from now on).

Since the records, season (2001-2002), began Adolf has refereed 553 games. He has booked 1622 (average 2.93 per game) and sent off 97 players((average .17 per game)

Very interestingly, if any of this post is interesting, Adolf, this year must reached his mid-life crisis. As most of us in the East Stand have also reached this era in our lives, or in my case gone way past it, we know what we are talking about.

This year he has goose stepped around for 30 games and has already booked 126 players (average 9 per game) and sent off 9 players (average .3 per game). He no longer refs. anything better than League 1 and 2, last did a Championship game in Sept. 2015. Perhaps those in the know or in his case obviously don't know, they should quietly and politely retire him.

But whatever they decide, please do not send him back to TNL.

I think you maths are wrong C32 - 126 yellows in 30 games = 4,2 per games and 9 reds in 30 games = 0.3 reds per game.

I had worked this out prior to the match and passed it on to the club as a warning the referee was card happy.
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Seat C32 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks LM I agree, it was a typo error from the notes I had made. Still a rubbish stat.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 am

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Adding to t i w's attendance comment, what was this online attendance due to?:

Hockaday being sacked?
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:58 am

king giraffe III wrote:Having watched the red card numerous times now, I have to say I think the ref probably made the wrong decision.

Me too. I thought it was right at the time but maybe I was persuaded by the noise as much as the studs being up. It was unlucky but changed the game for us.

Tomiswalking wrote:I have complained about MC and the club recently, but I'm going to shut up for a while now and give them a real chance for at least this season.

I like the setup, I like the more direct tactics, I like the way the players know where each other are and can move quickly as a team creating an attacking advantage, I like having a second striker and knowing that if they are one on one with the keeper they will score, I like having at least 4 players who can skin their man, I like free kicks played forwards, I like it when three players are on one of ours and we come out with the ball, I like the risk and the goals. I like winning.

Thanks DV and MC for making this all happen.

Well and bravely said. Still a long way to go but things are looking up and credit where credit is due....
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm

voodoobluesman wrote:
Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Adding to t i w's attendance comment, what was this online attendance due to?:

Hockaday being sacked?

Nah, he left October 2013. I remember it well, as its the first time (September 2013) since we moved to TNL when I had chosen to stop attending games for a while as it was so hideous...

Seeing as June 18th 2014 was off-season and we had finished a very unremarkable 10th place in 2013/14, I can only wonder if it followed us making a 'big' signing...? Haven't time to look into it further.

Or perhaps we were just all bored with no football going on and wanted someone to 'talk' to!? :lol:
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team