Match thread from The New Lawn (Stevenage)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Stevenage)

Postby Seat C32 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:30 pm

One thing I haven't seen on any of the posts was comment about the quality of the pitch. Considering that up to about 2.00 pm there were thoughts that it might be cancelled I thought the pitch was outstanding. Looked good, played well and a real credit to the ground staff, well done.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 pm

The Stevenage match report said “Well prepared pitch”.
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm

king giraffe III wrote:Not a lot I can add except....

1. Haydn Hollis. Thought he was immense last night and surprised how overlooked he has been in discussion of m-o-m.

2. The referee was poor but no worse than some of the others we've seen. It's ripe to whine about play acting after our final match of last season. :lol: What goes around, comes around and all that. The Wishart booking was very funny. I think the ref lost it there.

3. Reuben Reid looked much fitter last night. Bizarre. Deserved his goal.

4. I don't think we were lucky in the slightest. We took our chances and Stevenage didn't.

Agree that Hollis was very strong defensively, but he does look a little limited on the ball and lost possession a few times. Whilst defenders are there to defend, perhaps that take the gloss off his performance a little?

I think the Ref was possibly the worst I have seen at TNL - we have had some below average ones, too.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Back to Cooper not clapping the fans...

Can you blame him had Sya ks of abuse off the majority including me. His son has come in for what I would only call absolutely disgraceful abuse. So I can't blame him.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:46 pm

I've never blamed him.
There are often complaints on here about MC not acknowledging the South Stand but why should he?

I'm sure he has a good enough memory to recall the booing, the abuse and insults aimed at the team but especially Brad, Charlie and himself coming from a section of the South Stand. His son doesn't even play at home anymore.

You can't expect him to be happy with those particular fans. Even if the majority standing there are not guilty of doing it.

Just because results have improved and the abuse has eased off, the same fans are still in the same place and he's not going to forgive them that easily is he?
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Well done and an important 3 Points banked.

Still the mini league matches to win and we will be safe. Starts away at Morecambe.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Agreed. Looking forward to Saturday.

We're averaging 1.7 points a game since the new signings after last night. Keep that up and the picture will change dramatically.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NECbowler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I really enjoyed a cameo moment from Gavin Gunning late on when we were 3-1 up. He was told he should have brought the ball down on his left foot rather than clear it first time by the bench. I got the impression his response with a smile was I’m not that good with my left foot! We now have some proper defenders!
NECbowler
Youth
Youth

Postby Freddy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Freddy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks Freddy - good quality too

Of the red card, I doubt if the Stevenage player meant to go in as hard as he did, but it was reckless and that the studs were clearly directed up. One of the few correct decisions by the official?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SkunkMan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 pm

NECbowler wrote:I really enjoyed a cameo moment from Gavin Gunning late on when we were 3-1 up. He was told he should have brought the ball down on his left foot rather than clear it first time by the bench. I got the impression his response with a smile was I’m not that good with my left foot! We now have some proper defenders!

Interesting - he is noted under most sources on t'internet as being left-footed...?! Certainly the free kick he takes short which leads to the third goal is with his left.

I think I recall the moment you are referring to (near the touchline) and my initial reaction was that his smile followed the very satisfying noise the ball made as he belted it 50 yards or more to safety...?
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi
Philpot wrote:
The most rediculous was Wisharts booking. The defender pinched a good 15 yards to take a throw in and the ref booked Wishart for standing 4 yards from him.

The booking does seem weird if your estimate of his distance from the thrower is correct, but we shouldn't be too critical of players pinching distance.
Look at how much DB pinched in the run up to the our first goal.
FA law 15
throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play
All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:52 pm

NewForestRover wrote:I've never blamed him.
There are often complaints on here about MC not acknowledging the South Stand but why should he?

I'm sure he has a good enough memory to recall the booing, the abuse and insults aimed at the team but especially Brad, Charlie and himself coming from a section of the South Stand. His son doesn't even play at home anymore.

You can't expect him to be happy with those particular fans. Even if the majority standing there are not guilty of doing it.

Just because results have improved and the abuse has eased off, the same fans are still in the same place and he's not going to forgive them that easily is he?

It's called being the bigger person. a manager is meant to bring the club together for the greater good.
Yes there were fans that were guilty of booing (quite common in football when you're performing so poorly, as we did for a large chunk of the season) but there are plenty who also stuck up for him, Brad and Charlie.
Two wrongs don't make a right and all that...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby biggazza » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 pm

I am aware that we only named 6 subs last night no doubt due to the illness of Lee Collins and Alex Bray as reported. One of the subs was Spurrier and no doubt good experience for the lad but in effect only 5 recognised subs.
So on the basis we are still paying the wages of;
Traore
KMB
Cooper jnr
Monthe
Mullings
Whittle
Roberts
are we making best use of our reources or is it coincedence that the sickness bug was more prevelant to those on the naughty step.
biggazza
First Team
First Team

Postby Ninja Hamster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 pm

In the first half I couldn't tell what formation we were playing as DW seemed reluctant to cross the half way line and added very little, in fact he was frustrating. Thankfully MC pointed out to him (literally with shouting) he should be further up in the second half. When he did we got better balance and the team had another good outlet. He would make a massive leap forward if he could use his right foot!

We started off slowley and thankfully RR was like a man possessed and dragged us into the game.

MC has found a balanced side, two up front allows us to play further up the pitch and the back 4 are solid and arent afraid of getting stuck in. In all im happy.
The problem with options is that other people have them
Ninja Hamster
Youth
Youth

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Who Captained? It was so intense, I missed the arm band carrier.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stroud green » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Who Captained? It was so intense, I missed the arm band carrier.

Gavin Gunning
Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Rich E » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Who Captained? It was so intense, I missed the arm band carrier.

Pretty sure it was Gav Gunning FA - and I thought he did really well in the role. I also thought he had a wicked left foot on him - remember a couple cracking long passes he made.

Good feeling being 20th isn't it? Look forward to seeing how we get on at Morecambe this weekend,
Rich E
Reserves
Reserves

Postby cookiemonster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Good and revealing interview with RR on the YouTube channel. Always impressed with how he speaks.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team