Match thread from The Globe Arena (Morecambe)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Globe Arena (Morecambe)

Postby gooseman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 pm

As stated before there are a number of players that will not feature again for FGR unless something spectacular happens. KMB, Traore, Mullings, Monthe, Roberts, Russell are just seeing out their contracts. As MontyC states Roberts is what is technically a lame horse. He was a panic signing by MC. Unable to get into the Cambridge side he was exposed very quickly. Luckily he was signed on a years contract and therefore will be let go in May. KMB and Traore have lost interest totally. Its just a case of getting rid of them in May. Mullings was useless from the start. He was totally out of his depth in the National League let alone League 2. Will probably end up playing for someone like Darford or a return to Chelmsford. Manny is National League standard and might get snapped up by Maidenhead / Eastleigh Sam Russell gets my respect but its time he moves on. If he returns to the North East he will get picked up by Hartlepool / Darlington / Blythe. I wish him well.
As for CC, I thought his introduction was not merited. I would have brought on Laird. The few times I've seen Laird in midfield he does a half decent job. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I would have taken a point yesterday. The pitch was heavy and cut up very quickly. 7 points out of 9 is a decent haul, Now within touching distance of bringing Grimsby into the relegation battle. The more the merrier.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:01 pm

analysis seems a bit harsh to me gooseman.

whilst i agree that current players all deserve 'priority 'on merit ;i don't think i would be too unhappy if there was a substitutes bench consisting of :

monthe, kmb, traore, russell, mullins,cooper,roberts .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:32 pm

michael wrote:analysis seems a bit harsh to me gooseman.

whilst i agree that current players all deserve 'priority 'on merit ;i don't think i would be too unhappy if there was a substitutes bench consisting of :

Russell, KMB and traore should all be on the bench and the latter two are a better option than cooper jnr so clearly it is not a footballing decision. Cooper has cost Dale a fortune in wasted wages and transfer fees because of players he's fallen out with. Makes you wonder what's been said...
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Gooseman has it pretty much right. If we do go down this season it won't be because of team selection (at least not since Christmas).
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

The biggest incident at game occurred not on field but at half time when [allegedly] some FGR rascal had a quick fag in the WC and set off the fire alarm.
Immediately the shutter to the food stall rolled down and shut leaving a long queue of hungry away fans waiting to be served.
Fortunately I was not in that throng.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 pm

"30 CAMERON BELFORD G/K
3 SCOTT LAIRD
10 REECE BROWN
12 JORDAN SIMPSON
15 CHARLIE COOPER
25 TAHVON CAMPBELL
31 ALEX BRAY"

These were the options for the bench yesterday. I haven't seen Belford play and therefore unable to give an opinion. As for the rest, most are half decent. The fact is are KMB and Traore better than Simpson and Cooper ? From my understanding KMB and Traore are just going through the motions. Turn up for training, play in the Central League if necessay, get paid, go home, go on twitter. Did either player travel with the team to Morecambe? Was this because it saved a bit of money on the hotel bill or was it a case of MC not wanting them to travel as they don't give 100% and basically they couldn't give a toss. I know what theory I believe. My gripe yesterday was that CC was used of instead of Laird when Reid came off. As stated before I think Laird would have been a better option. This is just my opinion. Reason, Laird looks fitter and stronger than Cooper but does lack some pace. However, the pitch was very heavy and therefore speed was being stiffled. Thats why Bray made little impression when he came on. Hopefully, Collins will have got over his bug and will likely replace Clements ( who had a decent game but just ran out of puff towards the game ). He will then replace of Simpson on the subs bench against Crawley, unless we have another bout of sickness within the squad / injury in training this week.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:25 pm

your 'understanding' is probably correct.

that given- i always believe such 'understandings ' should be based on fact and not subjecture .

it is a reaqsonable conclusion-and i may well assume the same-but i am solely assuming.
I have had no direct communication from Mr Cooper,the club or the players involved to confirm that is the case.

for example-Mr Cooper has not told me that he has 'fallen out 'with Drissa.

Mr Marsh Brown has not told me personally that 'he turns up at training-does not try very hard-and then goes home.

as i say-it may be the case ,but i simply believe it should be absolute fact based.

if it is-can such postings be supported with the source of such info-it always makes it more credible.

i'm probably a bit soft in so far as i always try and give people an opportunity .
there is good in most people-finding it isn't always so easy though
managed to manage a few businesses/people/mavericks that way -and got the best out of the majority of them.(not all !!)
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm

tommyd wrote:
michael wrote:analysis seems a bit harsh to me gooseman.

Russell, KMB and traore should all be on the bench and the latter two are a better option than cooper jnr so clearly it is not a footballing decision. Cooper has cost Dale a fortune in wasted wages and transfer fees because of players he's fallen out with. Makes you wonder what's been said...

Traore should certainly be on the bench. As for Sam, he's not L2 standard, although I'm not convinced Belford is any better. I'm a huge KMB fan but on his opportunities this season has been horrendously frustrating; I guess he's out of chances.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Just watched the goals. One top drawer. One looks like a calamitous mis judgement of some kind. Did the ball hit a divet???
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Timb wrote:Just watched the goals. One top drawer. One looks like a calamitous mis judgement of some kind. Did the ball hit a divet???

I think our keeper expected it the other side and the player took it very well (in off the post?). Form the highlights looked like we should be happy with a draw (but I know highlights can be biased/misleading).
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Dreadful keeping tbh (again) and he was very lucky not to have been responsible for another goal earlier in the game
Bronco
First Team
First Team

Postby gooseman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Sorry but Collins is not the only person at fault. Grubb and Cooper have the ball on the bye line. Cooper stupidly tries a cheeky back heel therefore giving the ball away. One big hoof up field. Gunning gets beat by the striker with the header. Rawson should have come across to cover but doesn't and therefore the Morecambe player has space . He lets fly from outside the box. Collins either misjudges the strike or its very poor goalkeeping. 2 points dropped. Its that simple. For me the fault starts with Cooper giving the ball away. It was utterly needless. Keep possession. If not kick the ball out of play, regain your shape. Before those who get offended easily, that is not bullying.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Everyone is entitled to an opinion in a free Country that my Grandfather fought so hard for in World War 2 but can we please drop the Charlie Cooper thing and cut the kid some slack. I understand he's about 19/20 at the same age I was an apprentice electrician and didn't know it all but still tried my best.

Like every parent Mark has tried to do the best for his Son but it obviously ain't gonna work out for him here. I'm sure MC will use his contacts to sort another opportunity elsewhere in the Summer.

Yes its a different industry but have any of you been bullied or intimidated at school or in the workplace that's exactly whats happening here.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 pm

It's not bullying at all!!

Infact all I see is posters treading on eggshells trying not to criticise Cooper.
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:16 am

In any other EFL team, with any other manager, a 19/20 year old would be treated as a valuable prospect. Allowances would be made for errors or poor performances. Sadly, some seem to use him as a stick to beat his father. Targeting neither will help FGR's cause this season

I've met and chatted to Charlie on many occasions when in the gym or at the club. Close to, he looks younger than his 20 years and off the pitch he's quite shy. Like everyone of his generation, a smart phone is never far from his hands and like all the players, he will be following comments in the Press and Media. Only with age and experience does a player become hardened to criticism and the attention he gets is as unfair as it is unwarranted. As any teacher will tell you, praise and encouragement gets better results than criticism. And I believe that one of his strongest critics on this Forum is in that profession

I stand to be corrected but the opinion around me was that Grubb tried the back heel. Whatever, 2 or 3 Rovers players were being too cute on the half way line. A series of mistakes, the last being Brad's, then led to the ball going in off the post. As Lee Johnson says of Bristol City, game management in the late stages might have been better

But as someone else said earlier, the sooner we get back to winning, losing or drawing AS A TEAM the better the spirit will be. We have some fine young players in our squad at the moment, and more coming through under Scott & Chris' coaching. We probably threw too many in at the deep end at the start of the season, lacking wiser heads around them. But all have burgeoning talent and should be able to look forward to a conducive atmosphere when they get their chance.

Before anyone else has a go at Charlie, I suggest that the first thing they ask themselves is whether it will help him or the team, let alone are they focussing on him before any other player

I don't mean to offend anyone on this Forum but it worries me how freely he is picked upon. At Charlie's age, I'm not sure that I could have withstood the constant criticism around me. So, as someone else said, "please cut Charlie some slack"
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby gooseman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:33 am

Be corrected - the back heel was clearly done by Cooper. Suggest you check the highlights.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 am

Fair enough Gooseman, but as I said, it was a combination of errors that resulted in the goal.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 am

Not just because i want to see the conceded goal (it did not look great on television) where specifically are the game highlights ?

thanks
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 am

michael wrote:Not just because i want to see the conceded goal (it did not look great on television) where specifically are the game highlights ?

thanks

They're on our Facebook page.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team