Match thread from The Globe Arena (Morecambe)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The Globe Arena (Morecambe)

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 am

Chrisgump11 wrote:In any other EFL team, with any other manager, a 19/20 year old would be treated as a valuable prospect. Allowances would be made for errors or poor performances. Sadly, some seem to use him as a stick to beat his father. Targeting neither will help FGR's cause this season

I've met and chatted to Charlie on many occasions when in the gym or at the club. Close to, he looks younger than his 20 years and off the pitch he's quite shy. Like everyone of his generation, a smart phone is never far from his hands and like all the players, he will be following comments in the Press and Media. Only with age and experience does a player become hardened to criticism and the attention he gets is as unfair as it is unwarranted. As any teacher will tell you, praise and encouragement gets better results than criticism. And I believe that one of his strongest critics on this Forum is in that profession

I stand to be corrected but the opinion around me was that Grubb tried the back heel. Whatever, 2 or 3 Rovers players were being too cute on the half way line. A series of mistakes, the last being Brad's, then led to the ball going in off the post. As Lee Johnson says of Bristol City, game management in the late stages might have been better

But as someone else said earlier, the sooner we get back to winning, losing or drawing AS A TEAM the better the spirit will be. We have some fine young players in our squad at the moment, and more coming through under Scott & Chris' coaching. We probably threw too many in at the deep end at the start of the season, lacking wiser heads around them. But all have burgeoning talent and should be able to look forward to a conducive atmosphere when they get their chance.

Before anyone else has a go at Charlie, I suggest that the first thing they ask themselves is whether it will help him or the team, let alone are they focussing on him before any other player

I don't mean to offend anyone on this Forum but it worries me how freely he is picked upon. At Charlie's age, I'm not sure that I could have withstood the constant criticism around me. So, as someone else said, "please cut Charlie some slack"

^^ this ^^
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby dursleydog » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 am

Said it before and I'll say it again.
Cc and Brad Collins do not deserve abuse, I remember the Exeter game at home where they were both getting jeered and booed by the home fans and I've never felt so ashamed to be an FGR fan.
BUT
Both their performances on that day, and for the entire season since, have been awful and deserve criticism, and there's a big difference between criticism and abuse that some posters seem to be blind to. Brad has the potential to be a good goalkeeper, but is evidently not there yet and has been responsible for far too many goals due to bad mistakes this season. And while he has improved since the new recruitment in defence, he was still responsible for the equaliser yesterday. That's a bad error at any level of goalkeeping, schoolboy to premier league they should save that.
Charlie... I'm sorry but I just don't see it. I can't pick a single part of his game that's league 2 standard, or a single part that's holding him back. Every aspect isn't good enough, he isn't a good passer, his touch is poor and his positioning isn't up to scratch either. He seems to spend the entire game avoiding being where he needs to be and when he is suddenly found in the spotlight he makes a mistake due to his poor technique being exposed. He seems like a level headed guy (that one nasty red aside) and I have sympathy on the age thing, given he's the same age as me and I don't know if I could deal with the criticism of professional football either. I'm sure he'll have a decent career, and find a club that appreciates him, but that'll be a level or 2 below this one.
So looking forward to Brad displacing Cortouis at Chelsea next season and CC getting his dream move to Man City cos I know nothing about football
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby tommyd » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm

It's so funny when people argue but they love the sound of their own opinions so much they ignore what is actually being said! I haven't seen anyone say it'll do cc good to get abused from the sidelines and I haven't heard anyone say he deserves it, in fact the few that said they did also said they regretted it! I've never given cc stick and I gave him one of the biggest cheers of all when he came on the other day. I still don't think he's good enough! I also didn't think James, Roberts, manny or Omar were, nothing personal at all but guess what the difference between all those is? They're all gone and cc is still here, they're all not the managers son and cc is... this is cooper snrs fault and if he had his sons best interests at heart and that of the club cc would have left a long time ago to prove he's good enough away from his dad. No cooper doesn't deserve abuse but I'm afraid on performance he doesn't deserve to be in the squad either. I think everyone has a point here and neither is wrong.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm

they may have 'gone' but they may return-aren't bugiel and james both only on loan for now ?

but where have monthe and roberts 'gone' too ?

i was not aware of that
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 pm

So everyone's agreed then.

Some people rate him, some don't and it's fine for people to voice that in a respectful way, but if he plays get behind the whole team, including him?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:09 pm

dursleydog wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again.
Cc and Brad Collins do not deserve abuse, I remember the Exeter game at home where they were both getting jeered and booed by the home fans and I've never felt so ashamed to be an FGR fan.
BUT
Both their performances on that day, and for the entire season since, have been awful and deserve criticism, and there's a big difference between criticism and abuse that some posters seem to be blind to. Brad has the potential to be a good goalkeeper, but is evidently not there yet and has been responsible for far too many goals due to bad mistakes this season. And while he has improved since the new recruitment in defence, he was still responsible for the equaliser yesterday. That's a bad error at any level of goalkeeping, schoolboy to premier league they should save that.
Charlie... I'm sorry but I just don't see it. I can't pick a single part of his game that's league 2 standard, or a single part that's holding him back. Every aspect isn't good enough, he isn't a good passer, his touch is poor and his positioning isn't up to scratch either. He seems to spend the entire game avoiding being where he needs to be and when he is suddenly found in the spotlight he makes a mistake due to his poor technique being exposed. He seems like a level headed guy (that one nasty red aside) and I have sympathy on the age thing, given he's the same age as me and I don't know if I could deal with the criticism of professional football either. I'm sure he'll have a decent career, and find a club that appreciates him, but that'll be a level or 2 below this one.
So looking forward to Brad displacing Cortouis at Chelsea next season and CC getting his dream move to Man City cos I know nothing about football

Agree with all this
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:45 pm

It must be the first time ever that a team from Gloucestershire had a 3rd party name check at Morecambe when the FGR faithful sang in full voice: "Cheltenham Town, we are coming for you, we are coming for you."
Obviously shows the growing confidence of our supporters to finish season on a high. FGR are in current better form from our northern neighbours and that will almost certainly continue to be the case until and probably beyond the ElGlosico match in April. They have a set of difficult fixtures before then.
And that chant is far more powerful that the pathetic Cheltenham dirge: "F***, Forest Green Rovers."
So if any Cheltenham fans are reading the FGR forum 'be afraid, be very afraid, FGR are coming for you'.
Last edited by The Old TomCat on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Perhaps the chant, as per Cyril Knowles;s, should have been:

Nice one Clements,
nice one son,
Nice one Clements,
let's have another one.

Perhaps he would have made it 2 -1.

Try it next time when one of our team score?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Phil_mitchell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Charlie Cooper does not deserve abuse like this. But then again he doesn't deserve to be on bench ahead of drissa.
125 years and counting..... PRIDE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Phil_mitchell
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:40 pm

I don't understand. Did something else happen to Charlie? Haven't heard much about him since the double sending off.

Can someone in the know give us an update on Drissa?
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:54 pm

I agree with a combination of Gooseman, ChrisGump and DursleyDog. Hopefully (Lee) Collins is back on Saturday and there will be no need to expose CC again for a while. Once Clements gets his fitness up, he will be a good replacement for tiring/injured/ill/suspended members of midfield.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Surely Clements should keep his place after scoring a cracking goal like that?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 pm

NewForestRover wrote:
michael wrote:Not just because i want to see the conceded goal (it did not look great on television) where specifically are the game highlights ?

thanks

They're on our Facebook page.

Well theres the Morecombe offering (Great save by Brad at around 50 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBsR-ZJmxM

or the FGR extended version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAiDLiY-9Fs
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Thanks for posting the extended highlights.

The proverbial game of two halves.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:26 am

The Old TomCat wrote:It must be the first time ever that a team from Gloucestershire had a 3rd party name check at Morecambe when the FGR faithful sang in full voice: "Cheltenham Town, we are coming for you, we are coming for you."
Obviously shows the growing confidence of our supporters to finish season on a high. FGR are in current better form from our northern neighbours and that will almost certainly continue to be the case until and probably beyond the ElGlosico match in April. They have a set of difficult fixtures before then.
And that chant is far more powerful that the pathetic Cheltenham dirge: "F***, Forest Green Rovers."
So if any Cheltenham fans are reading the FGR forum 'be afraid, be very afraid, FGR are coming for you'.

Personally I couldn’t care less about Cheltenham. For me it’s all about staying up this season. Let’s not start getting ahead of ourselves, there’s a long way to go and we are far from being safe from relegation. It’s all about finishing 22nd or above and then maybe next season we can focus on having bragging rights over Cheltenham and who knows even Swindon!
FGR123
Reserves
Reserves

Postby tommyd » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 am

michael wrote:they may have 'gone' but they may return-aren't bugiel and james both only on loan for now ?

but where have monthe and roberts 'gone' too ?

i was not aware of that

Obviously they're still under contract. They won't be getting another will they? They are gone from the first team squad.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:38 am

For what its worth, the highest number of points to secure EFL 2 safety in recent years was last season - 48. Previous years have been far lower with relegated teams gong down on 34.

5 wins or the equivalent points should secure our future but I hope we do better. Then again the easy route has never been the FGR way ...
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:40 am

Kentstripe wrote:So everyone's agreed then.

Some people rate him, some don't and it's fine for people to voice that in a respectful way, but if he plays get behind the whole team, including him?

Exactly
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:53 pm

FGR123 wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:It must be the first time ever that a team from Gloucestershire had a 3rd party name check at Morecambe when the FGR faithful sang in full voice: "Cheltenham Town, we are coming for you, we are coming for you."

Personally I couldn’t care less about Cheltenham. For me it’s all about staying up this season. Let’s not start getting ahead of ourselves, there’s a long way to go and we are far from being safe from relegation. It’s all about finishing 22nd or above and then maybe next season we can focus on having bragging rights over Cheltenham and who knows even Swindon!

You will find that on the Cheltenham forum and Twitter they have been debating with glee that the match against FGR could be the game they would love to get FGR relegated. Fools.
In their Conference season the home and away games were best attended for both clubs. This season the home fixture v Cheltenham has been FGR's best attended game. There is an awful lot of interest in the ElGlosico games, more so than v Swindon. And I don't think Swindon sing "F*** Forest Green Rovers" at every game.
And like you I don't want FGR relegated, and I'm almost sure that will not happen. But not to be relegated and win v Cheltenham would be the icing on the cake. With their current poor form and ours getting better there is a good chance FGR will come away from Whaddon Road with all three points - God willing.
To overhaul Swindon this season is perhaps a step to high.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:For what its worth, the highest number of points to secure EFL 2 safety in recent years was last season - 48. Previous years have been far lower with relegated teams gong down on 34.

5 wins or the equivalent points should secure our future but I hope we do better. Then again the easy route has never been the FGR way ...

I still say it's going to be tight and am not hopeful personally.

While the Crawley game is just one game 3 points would be massive. 4 wins from the remaining 12 after that looks eminently doable but there are some tough ties in there.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team