Match thread from The New Lawn (Crawley Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Crawley Town)

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Just in from work - fantastic result - and very well done to everyone today. This really proves we are making progress and going in the right direction. Get me another cider, love...........
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby FootieMan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:50 pm

Great result but you wouldn’t credit the rest of the scores. As I stated a while back the team to be worried about relegation is Grimsby. Rudderless......sorry Havelock.

The winning sequence is still going and that is all the players and management need to concentrate on.

Just four points behind the Robins, who to be fair did well at Luton, so credit where due, but it could really be bragging rights at Whaddon Road for sure.

Good day and we move on.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby 20yrs and counting » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Think it’s going to take 50 plus points to stay up. Can’t discount Barnet with Wesley at the helm. R Chesterfield, Port Vale or Crewe too big to go down? Grimsby seem to have lost the plot. Anybody can go from 15th (Stevenage) down. Personally I think it will be Barnet and Grimsby. Think the last match at home could be pivotal with maybe the winners staying up.

Thought we were solid, hard working and all the players playing for each other today. The only time we looked vulnerable was on our own attacking corners, where the counter attack was on. We should have also blocked a few more crosses coming in. Each player deserving an 8 out of 10. Best of all the mindset seems to have changed. Players are believing and not panicking.

One very happy Rovers supporter tonight.
We’re black, we’re white, we’re f***in dynamite, forest green, forest green.....
20yrs and counting
Reserves
Reserves

Postby tommyd » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Great result, decent performance just a shame about elsewhere, unbelievable results today.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Rich E » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Really enjoyed that. First 45 was one of the best halves I've seen from FGR for a while. It should serve as a good confidence builder so hopefully we can press on. We can't rely on others to keep us up - as today's other results show.

Thought Clements and Osbourne looked a formidable pair in midfield, Doidge and Reid similarly up front and come to think of it so were Gunning and Rawson at the back. To be fair everyone played well today - I liked that the attacking threat came from all sides/angles.

MOM - had to be Osbourne didn't it? He's amazing - the only thing I haven't seen him do this season is score.
Rich E
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 pm

3 very deserved points - we did not allow a very capable team to play the kind of football that has propelled them up the table in recent months. Credit to management for good preparation and to every player that took to the field. No weak links, we played good football and were 'on it' from the start. On some occasions we have been called a 'one half team', not today! My MOTM would have been Clements, but the centre halves were solid and we posed attacking threats from all over the pitch. Osbourne had a great game and delighted he won the accolade.

Looking at the table, that win was necessary - if we had remained on 33 points we would have been just above the relegation spots. On 36, we have moved up a place and overtaken Grimsby. Yeovil, Cheltenham and Stevenage are within our sights. My prediction of lower mid table is once again achievable. However, we mustn't get ahead of ourselves, 4 more wins and a couple of draws will take us to the 50 points which should secure league football for next season.

Crewe had a great result today, but there is no reason why we cannot go up there and win
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Very good performance and result today. Great that we managed a clean sheet - we’ll done Brad for the 2-3 saves and the back four who were excellent.

Crawley were sprightly and confident which made the win even better. We took the two relatively early chances well and that shook Crawley up. They didn’t have many other chances and we might well have scored both times we hit the post - both attempts were very unlucky.

Had either one gone in or Doidge been on top form we would have won easily. As it was, we had to be alert throughout and we were.

MC deserves much credit for attracting almost a whole new team’s worth of players mid-season who look a lot better than what we started the season with.

Osbourne deserves his MotM. The way he and Clements won the ball in midfield was very encouraging and when Clements can last a full game he will be a big asset. Collins was a good replacement late on. Reid would have been my other MotM contender.

Results didn’t go our way but they did in midweek and if we keep playing like this we will be fine. Well done all
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:58 pm

can't add much value to the above posts ; and would just echo that it was the best game i have seen Osbourne play-almost faultless, but maybe for his 70 minutes,Clements was better still.
Looks about 5'10'' (yes -i am height obsessed ), but Clements was also winning a lot of headers in midfield which impressed me .

would also mention Bennett in dispatches-harder for him to impress with his marauding runs in this league, but back to his best defensively today i thought, up against a good opponent-he played well -(Bray needs to be a bit more alert defensively ).

accomplished performance all round today
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Philpot » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 pm

If this team was in the top 3 now they would stay there

That’s just how fair I can be about what’s happened this season
Philpot
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:10 pm

All credit to MC for his new player recruitment mid-season, such a different squad and a great uplift for all concerned.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 pm

I am looking forward to reading Mr Coopers autobiography in about 5 years time, and his true explanation why he /it /everything was just so rubbish before christmas.

justifiable credit to him for turning it all around-but i still would like to know why he led(had to lead /hands tied ) FGR into the mess in the first place
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:15 pm

A few weeks ago, after a decent win, I think that I was around 51 to 49 in favour of us avoiding the drop....my confidence has now moved up to 52 to 48. We are certainly not out of the woods yet, but a fantastic result against a team looking good for the play-offs is a huge bonus, especially considering how results went elsewhere. Home form must be amongst the best in the division of late, keep that up and we should be fine.

Crewe next week is a big one, no change there!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Foggy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:16 pm

michael - maybe that is true, but at least things have changed, new players and tactics with results to match...it is where we finish that will be remembered.
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 pm

What a team performance. High energy, good communication and confidence from the start.

Well done everyone. Especially enjoyed Ossy and Reid - always in the right place.

Credit to MC, Great football.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Head Honcho » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 pm

It helped that Crawley came to play football, not to get involved in a rugby/ wrestling match as several teams have done. As a great game of football, it will live in the memory along with the Coventry game.
No weak link in the starting XI or the subs - Ossie was immense and a worthy MOTM, but Reid's holding up of the ball and Bennett's defensive play were also 9/10. Apart from a dodgy 90 seconds from Bradley Collins when his distribution radar went haywire, he looked assured under crosses and produced one top class save to keep the score at 1-0.
Yes, a shame that other teams won today, but I would far rather be in our (and Crewe's position) of having momentum, than be in freefall like Port Vale and Grimsby.
Let's hope for some points on the road in the next couple of games...
Head Honcho
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:43 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Happy days. There's clearly better quality and belief in this refreshed team. Recent performances surely show there'll be two or more worse teams than us. I'm going to take a punt on us finishing 15th. Well done all. Extra cider all round.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:54 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:05 pm

interesting that .
i thought it odd that no-one 'pressed'/hassled their goalkeeper when he had the ball-all part of the masterplan then,
interesting insight to what goes on in preparation
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Great performance across the pitch. No more to say except Clements's showboat back heel had me laughing. That's how you do it!
19 years of upset.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team