Match thread from The New Lawn (Crawley Town)

All about our First Team

Re: Match thread from The New Lawn (Crawley Town)

Postby Jokerman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 pm

ROVERS GO TO TOWN ON CRAWLEY. Saturday24th February 2018.

The winter weekend excursion to the seaside at Morecambe last Saturday proved exacerbating for players and supporters alike as they saw two points fall off the end of the pier. On a positive note the single point lifted Rovers up a place in the league table when Crewe were defeated in mid-week.
Today Forest Green take on Crawley Town,the most improved side in the league since the start of the season. With Rovers also stepping up their form it promises to be a close encounter.
Both Bray and Clements hold their places in the starting eleven while Lee Collins returning from illness appears on the bench alongside Wishart.
A clear blue sky meant the sun flared in the daylights of the east standers but kept the temperature at a bearable level. Twenty three hundred greeted the teams.
The opening minutes revealed two teams playing in identical fashion moving the ball about on the floor confidently.
Rovers were the first to create an opening on 10mins and they duly took the lead.
Good work down the right found Bray inside the box. He switched the ball out wide to Bennett up in support who crossed waist high to Reid at the near post. He volleyed it inside the upright and the Green Army were up and running.
This stung the visitors who had started well and they went on the offensive winning two quick corners that the Rovers defence dealt with.
Back on attack Rovers went close to adding to the scoreline when Reid set up fellow striker Doidge who saw his shot strike the right hand frame of the goal from an acute angle.
Soon after Doidge just could not get any power on a dropping ball on the six yard line and Crawley keeper Morris gathered comfortably.
The ball shifted immediately to the other end down the right flank where a quick pass inside to Smith left him one on one with Collins. The keeper did brilliantly to smother the danger when an equaliser looked imminent.
This led to another three corners for Crawley which again were well fielded by this much improved Rovers rearguard.
24mins and slightly against the run of play Rovers added to their lead.
Breaking down field Doidge slipped a pass to Grubb out wide on the left. He cut inside and from the corner of the area he struck the ball low inside the six yard box where Doidge,who had continued his run touched it inside the right hand post.
Coopers side were causing a real 'buzz' around the stadium.
Again Crawley added another couple of corners to their tally but Collins and his defence were untroubled.
Rovers won their first corner on the half hour mark after Gunning went on the charge.
On thirty five minutes from yet another corner the big Crawley defender Yorwerth,out jumped by Collins who claimed the ball,contested a little too keenly and was booked. After which he became the subject of derision for the duration.
Crawley continued to press until the half time whistle racking up a round dozen corners with nothing to show.
Rovers fans were in good spirits at the break. A check on the other scores would indicate the league form had been turned on it's head this weekend if they remained the same.
Whatever Crawley manager Harry Kewell had told his players at the interval it fell on deaf ears.
He made a substitution but it had little impact and it was Rovers who began to assert.
An early chance in the second half fell to Doidge who hit the ball wildly over the bar.
Rovers came within a top lip hair of scoring a third goal on fifty six minutes.
Reid who was having a fine game went on a run into the area,forced wide he slid the ball to Grubb on the left who in turn hit a powerful shot across Morris only to see the ball cannon off the inside of the right hand post.
Well on top now Bennett forced Morris to cut out a dangerous cross as Crawley began to look dispirited.
Sixty two minutes and again Rovers were denied.
Hollis hit a perfect cross from the left to the back post where Reid placed his header past Morris
but again the post intervened. The ball rebounded to him but his close range strike was blocked by a defender with Morris on the floor. From the resulting corner Gunning headed the ball into the keepers arms.
Clements was replaced by Lee Collins on seventy two minutes.
Rovers defence was called into action with fifteen minutes remaining when Crawley won a free kick thirty yards out. The ball was struck into the 'wall' and Gunning cleared it over the cross bar. From the corner Rawson and the afternoons 'villain' Yorwerth clashed heads and needed treatment but there was very little evidence of the crimson.
The final chance of the game fell to Crawley on eighty one minutes when a good cross into the area found Boldewijn in space but he was quickly closed down but slipped the ball to sub Tajbakhsh who from a good position hit the ball wide. Harry Kewell must have bitten through a six inch nail. Fortunately he couldn't find anything to kick.
A half chance by Boldewijn was easily dealt with by Collins and Rovers saw the game out comfortably.
A terrific all-round performance by Forest Green Rovers every player giving everything on a tiring playing surface.
Carrying this commitment into the remaining fixtures will secure them Football League status.
Jokerman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Didn't everyone say this was going to be a difficult game?

They were wrong.

It was easy!
:D
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Tommo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:21 am

NewForestRover wrote:Didn't everyone say this was going to be a difficult game?

They were wrong.

It was easy!

I going to sound stupid here but it was because of the goals. Crawley were giving as good as they got for quite a while but we took our early chances and that knocked the stuffing out of them. As TimB and I and others have said over several months, it’s fine margins between success and failure.

Crewe is another important one. A must not lose.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:07 am

Tommo wrote:

They were wrong.

It was easy!

I going to sound stupid here but it was because of the goals. Crawley were giving as good as they got for quite a while but we took our early chances and that knocked the stuffing out of them. As TimB and I and others have said over several months, it’s fine margins between success and failure.

Crewe is another important one. A must not lose.

We had exactly the same amount of chances on and off target and conceded a lot more corners so to say it was easy is simplistic and disrespectful to both teams imo, we worked hard for it and they had their chances, we took ours and they didn't, that was the difference.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby fgrbob » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 am

Yes another good result but unfortunately we cannot take anything for granted as all the other teams around us won as well. MC must be given credit for the change in style of play as much as the slagging he took early doors this season. I think we came into this league believing it would be easy for us but at least we didn't get adrift so on to Crewe next Saturday and hopefully a change in our away Fortunes
fgrbob
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:34 am

So in 9 games since the January signings arrived, we have picked up 16 points, or 1.8 points a game. Play-off form.

As I said last week, the most likely scenario imo is that we will finish lower midtable and probably above Cheltenham. Seen very little to dissuade me from that view

As Harry Kewell rightly said in his post match interview, we were very good and thoroughly deserved to beat a side that is bang in form. Good gameplan, pretty much executed to perfection. Always good when it's hard to pick a motm.

Big game next week,
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Jovial Forester » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:31 am

Another satisfying thing listening to Coops and Isaiah's psot-match interviews is that we had a plan to cope with Crawley, not to press too high MC said, and it clearly worked. Out-tactic-ing the form manager!
The Jovial Forester
First Team
First Team

Postby Jamal Lacoste » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 am

fgrbob wrote:Yes another good result but unfortunately we cannot take anything for granted as all the other teams around us won as well.

Some did, but then Grimsby, Yeovil and Stevenage lost, while Port Vale and Cheltenham drew. So while we the gap between us and 23rd hasn't increased, the amount of teams in the relegation mix certainly has. Which is where form is now important.

Grimsby and Port Vale have both gone below us, and are a combined 0-4-8 in their last 12.
63* forever.
Jamal Lacoste
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:10 am

Kentstripe wrote:As Harry Kewell rightly said in his post match interview, we were very good and thoroughly deserved to beat a side that is bang in form. Good gameplan, pretty much executed to perfection. Always good when it's hard to pick a motm.

I sit behind the dugouts and have chance to watch the away manager's antics during games.
And here I must take my hat to Harry Kewell. He was calm and respectful throughout the match and at end of game went over to every FGR player to shake their hand. A real gentleman.
Show that nice guys can be good and successful. He is one who I'm sure will have a good career ahead of him in the game.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:23 am

The stats may look even but in real life they had two chances, both saved well by Brad. I don't recall a single good chance from a Crawley corner. And much of what will be chalked up as shots from them ended up over the stands.

On our side, we scored twice, hit the woodwork three times and had one cleared off the line.

And they were L2's form team.
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:42 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Kentstripe wrote:As Harry Kewell rightly said in his post match interview, we were very good and thoroughly deserved to beat a side that is bang in form. Good gameplan, pretty much executed to perfection. Always good when it's hard to pick a motm.

quote]
I sit behind the dugouts and have chance to watch the away manager's antics during games.
And here I must take my hat to Harry Kewell. He was calm and respectful throughout the match and at end of game went over to every FGR player to shake their hand. A real gentleman.
Show that nice guys can be good and successful. He is one who I'm sure will have a good career ahead of him in the game.

thats all very good and refreshing to read about Harry Kewell.

where can one find his interview ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:45 am

Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:51 am

There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 am

Well, to quote an old Lou Reed favourite: "that was a perfect day"

FGR has changed beyond recognition from Summer/Autumn. The players who remain - Dale Bennett, Lee Collins, Christian Doidge, Dan Wishart, Ozzie Osbourne and yes Brad Collins have all hit confidence and consistent form, similarly those now warming the bench such as Scott Laird are solid when they need to be. And the newbies are 100%ers to a man. Lets not forget too that the other youngsters such as Brown, Simpson & Spurrier are watching from the bench and sucking this up

The game lived up to the billing. The first half was a feast between two teams comfortable on the ball, intent on attack. For once our finishing in the 6 yard box was deadly and our defence rock solid for 95. Brad learned his lesson not to mess around on a frost hardened pitch then made one brilliant save to keep it at 1-0. Second half we froze Crawley out and with luck might have doubled the score.

Ozzie was m o m deservedly but it says so much for the current squad that he was atop 10 other candidates. So good to see Dale Bennett back to his peak and Chris Clements improving markedly from game to game. And when you can bring on the likes of Dan and Lee for the last quarter it gives you a warm & cosy feeling inside not often present at TNL this term

Ok, most of the chasing pack did not lose ground however only Crewe drew positives on goal difference. Once our Achilles heel, goal difference now promises an 'extra point' more than Barnet, Chesterfield & Grimsby with Crewe neck and neck. And now the likes of Yeovil, Grimsby and yes even Cheltenham despite their great result at Luton are well and truly in the mire. We just need to concentrate on keeping our game together and I think we will have enough to be safe.

As for Clements' back heel - sure, heart warming when it comes off but lets save that for Whaddon Road when we are 4-0 to the good in the 95th minute. I don't recall that the misplaced back heel at Morecambe brought much mirth but then may depend on who tries it?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Earl » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Eleven Crawley corners in the first half and not a sniff on goal shows how far we’ve progressed since January. As night turns to day before the January additions we would have conceded. Our defence now look solid and dependable. They instinctively know when to pass out and when to clear their lines. There have been some doubts about Bennet recently but he looked back to his best. Make no mistake Crawley was a quality side and the defence needed to be at their best. Good catching from Bradley and yet another superb save for what looked like a certain Crawley goal.

In midfield Clements, Bray and Osbourne constantly harried and broke up the opposition play and as importantly kept the ball moving forward.

With Grubb, Reid and Doidge on form, I’m confident we’ll carry on scoring vital goals.

We contained and managed them well in the second half to the point they seemed to give up as did their somewhat lairy fans. And if you’re bringing an inflatable pig at least bring one we can all see. That was pathetic and more piglet than pig.

It was disappointing other results didn’t go our way but why should they. Everyone is fighting for points in this mad scramble to stay up.

All credit to Cooper for his January signings and it seems he’s learnt what it takes to compete effectively in this league.
Earl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:53 pm

tommyd wrote:

They were wrong.

It was easy!

We had exactly the same amount of chances on and off target and conceded a lot more corners so to say it was easy is simplistic and disrespectful to both teams imo, we worked hard for it and they had their chances, we took ours and they didn't, that was the difference.

When I post one of these :D
it means I'm being humorous!

I got the impression that the majority thought we would struggle against Crawley and in my opinion, we didn't. That's all.

A great result and a great visit to NL made even better because as I was leaving I bumped into our star player and spoke to him for the first time!

A perfect end to a perfect day.
:)
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:26 pm

NewForestRover wrote:A great result and a great visit to NL made even better because as I was leaving I bumped into our star player and spoke to him for the first time!

And who would be that star player and what did you both talk about? :D
As if we don't already know. ;)
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:A great result and a great visit to NL made even better because as I was leaving I bumped into our star player and spoke to him for the first time!

And who would be that star player and what did you both talk about? :D
As if we don't already know. ;)

I've spoken to quite a few of our players but this time it's a bit of a blur because I think I was starstruck!
I just remember telling him what a brilliant player he is.

And yes. I got his autograph! :D
NewForestRover
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Yep, still smiling this fine sunny lunchtime.

Next Saturday will perhaps be an even sterner test, no room for any complacency whatsoever on the part of the playing side or the fans' side.

Win and we start challenging mid table. Lose and we're still locked into the bottom 6.

The transformation since The day after New Year's Day reminds me of this time last season.

Good stuff. Keep calm and carry on.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SNJ Ash » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:17 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FGR First Team