Page 2 of 4

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:10 am
by Lawncider
Did I miss the corner in the second half that he completely flapped at that nearly went straight in?

Whilst getting betteI I still worry he has one clanger in him every game. Long way to be convinced yet.

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:56 am
by michael
no right way of doing things, but i note that after half time-Russell used to come out 2 minutes earlier and warm -up/practice, whereas collins comes out with rest of team and no specific second half goalie warm -up.

(noted on saturday that non of the subs did their usual half time routine like usual-all went to dressing room. )

we deffo lost the warm-ups therefore-but thankfully won the game

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:25 pm
by The Old TomCat
Martin Toms wrote:I just don’t think him having a jog with the goalies has suddenly improved Brad. From what I’ve seen every goalie has a bit of a jog before they start practicing with a ball, some of the coaches jog with them some don’t, I just don’t think that makes much of a difference, every goalie knows how to jog.

Yes of course Pat has good credentials with the clubs he has been at and I’m sure he is doing a good job but perhaps credit should go to Brad rather than any coach he has worked with as perhaps he has simply improved over the season simply by playing more games, also with him now having better players in front of him, in other words gaining experience at this level.

There is a lot of what you say that we all agree with.
My point is that the last two goalkeeper coaches at FGR both appeared to have had their best playing days behind them. By coming out and warming up with his charges Pat has given them that extra psychological supporting edge. And sometimes it is these minor changes that can improve a players performance to the benefit of team.

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:36 pm
by Fartvs Antiqvvs
Perhaps they all jogged, just to keep warm in the present arctic conditions. ;)

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm
by gooseman
"noted on saturday that non of the subs did their usual half time routine like usual-all went to dressing room. )"

Suggest you visit The Optical Shop in Nailsworth. I certainly saw them doing a half time session at the North Stand part of the pitch. :roll:

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:00 pm
by Greeners
Hi
With Brad being a loanee, who is likely to be goalie next season?

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:01 pm
by Chrisgump11
I'm sure Brad is grateful for not being in the Jack Russell coaching era. Saving tennis balls hit with a bat ..... !

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:08 pm
by Martin Toms
I guess we will have to agree to disagree, as long as the goalie coach does the main part of the goalies warm up I see no difference or benefit if he jogs with the goalies at the start or doesn’t, as I said I’ve seen many that don’t in my time.

Jack Russell Who I think worked in conjunction as an assistant with another guy whose name I can’t recall would have been excellent when it came to talking about the mental side to the game I bet. With the similarities between a wicket keeper and a Goalie and having played so many test matches where he had to concentrate I bet he gave a good insight to the goalies about the art of concentration.

This Cam Belford looks a jovial character by the way! :lol:

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:30 pm
by michael
gooseman wrote:"noted on saturday that non of the subs did their usual half time routine like usual-all went to dressing room. )"

Suggest you visit The Optical Shop in Nailsworth. I certainly saw them doing a half time session at the North Stand part of the pitch. :roll:


your probably right then -opticians for me.
deffo missed that =obviously concentrating and enjoying my freebie quorn nuggets too much

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:12 pm
by The Old TomCat
Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Perhaps they all jogged, just to keep warm in the present arctic conditions. ;)

Okay I know when I've lost debate and will finish.
But I will finish that I still maintain that Pat is by a mile the best football coach that FGR have had in past few years.

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:31 pm
by Norton Boy
Lawncider wrote:Did I miss the corner in the second half that he completely flapped at that nearly went straight in?

Whilst getting betteI I still worry he has one clanger in him every game. Long way to be convinced yet.


I know the corner you refer too, the ball did indeed go wide by about a foot, in his defence though as he came for it a Crawley player blocked him and Brad did point this out to the ref who waved him away, now was that because he felt he wasn't impeded or because nothing came of it anyway, i don't know but from where i was stood Brad did look like he was going to get there before said player got in his way.
There are still mistakes in Brad but i think we can all agree he has improved no end in the last few months and for reaction shot stopping he is very good indeed.Lets hope he keeps improving.

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:36 pm
by Columbia
The Old TomCat wrote:
Martin Toms wrote:I just don’t think him having a jog with the goalies has suddenly improved Brad. From what I’ve seen every goalie has a bit of a jog before they start practicing with a ball, some of the coaches jog with them some don’t, I just don’t think that makes much of a difference, every goalie knows how to jog.

Yes of course Pat has good credentials with the clubs he has been at and I’m sure he is doing a good job but perhaps credit should go to Brad rather than any coach he has worked with as perhaps he has simply improved over the season simply by playing more games, also with him now having better players in front of him, in other words gaining experience at this level.

There is a lot of what you say that we all agree with.
My point is that the last two goalkeeper coaches at FGR both appeared to have had their best playing days behind them. By coming out and warming up with his charges Pat has given them that extra psychological supporting edge. And sometimes it is these minor changes that can improve a players performance to the benefit of team.


I think to be fair to Steve Hale, his weight and lack of running in the warm up (if indeed it's needed at all) was probably due to an ankle problem which he had last season which was operated on in the summer, and then hadn't recovered for the first part of this season hence why he was mostly supervising the warm ups.

Perhaps the reason Pat does a jog, is to also warm himself up / stretch before serving balls

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:21 am
by Tomiswalking
Just watched the highlights of the Newport game and although we let three in I have to say well done Brad that point is essential to our survival in league two. Really happy to have got a point against Newport and a big part of that is down to some excellent saves and confident distribution.

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:28 pm
by NewForestRover
Tomiswalking wrote:Just watched the highlights of the Newport game and although we let three in I have to say well done Brad that point is essential to our survival in league two. Really happy to have got a point against Newport and a big part of that is down to some excellent saves and confident distribution.

^^ this ^^

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:28 pm
by Tomiswalking
A clean sheet and some good distribution. Well done Brad!!

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 pm
by Silver Surfer
Agreed Tommo. He was really good today.

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 pm
by twinkletoes
Agree with Tomiswalking, after Belford's display on Tuesday, Brad is certainly best goalkeeper on the books this season, one of his best performances today, apart from his failed dribble around Mansfield centre forward in first 5 minutes!!

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:08 am
by Chrisgump11
I think Brad should take confidence from a hectic week or so when his emotions will have been tested to the full

Accrington did not go well for him and being dropped for Crewe would have been confidence sapping. Then a recall for Mansfield. After bad moment he settled to good form despite physical intimidation, keeping a clean sheet against one of the division's best teams

Manager Flitcroft spoke openly about targeting an 'Academy keeper'. That nasty piece of work Miller was happy to take that to mean leaving your foot in when Brad gathered at his feet. Despite that, Brad emerged the victor and this may have been a formative match for the young keeper. Notably, Rovers defenders seemed to warm to his courage

Sometimes true character does not emerge until tested by adversity. Well done Brad, now show your excellence over the remaining matches

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 am
by Pitchfork
Totally agree Chris, Brad has undoubtedly grown in his abilities this season. It has been a rocky road, but he has emerged stronger and better equipped for the good, the bad and the ugly of Division Two football. He has become more resilient, as shown by his performance against Mansfield.

Credit to our new goalkeeping coach for improving Brad's skills and to MC for his encouragement and defence of Brad during the tough games in the autumn.

Re: Brad Collins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:12 pm
by Bronco
Steady on, Mansfield didn't have a single shot on target!