All about our First Team

Doidge can play in Championship

Postby SNJ Ash » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:51 pm

SNJ Ash
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Doidge can play in Championship

Postby Norton Boy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 pm

If that valuation is correct then that is a great return on the money paid for Christian, though i rather hope he stays with us until we get to the championship.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 pm

excellent player, although if that was the sort of figure being banded around in january-maybe no wonder no-one signed him!

-and if i were reuben reid -that would be a massive incentive to me to prove that he is even better than doidge
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Plus Dayle Grubb, with his effective role as supplier and finisher.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Reading between the lines Doidge will leave in the summer. Seems like the right thing if the fee is into seven figures. He wouldn't be able to play at a higher level for potential a while with FGR and if he is L1 or Championship level, he really needs to move on in the summer. Get him firing to the end of the season and make an awesome profit. Plough some money back into Ecotricity and use some back into the playing budget. Bit of a win-win situation.
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Bristol Rovers were famed for looking at the lower leagues, doing their homework on the players, signing them, developing them and selling them for a huge profit - we could be in a similar position, and get known as a producing club.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Just listened to the IO interview post Crewe.

A good listen and an insight into the feelings of the squad, from an FGR player who is here to make sure we move on in the Football League.

Very complimentary about CD and others.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:53 pm

the record of signing players from lower leagues is probably average .50/50.
worth a risk though if minimal cost-but ultimately-lower league players need to be very very special to make 2/3/4 steps up.

(i am not totally convinced by grubb yet -good start agree-but can he push on-hope so-or will we be saying in october-good that he is -he's not quite good enough for EFL )

who is the player at Weymouth banging in loads of goals this season ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Not convinced by Grubb? He must be involved in >50% of our goals man!
cookiemonster
Reserves
Reserves

Postby gooseman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 pm

Brandon Goodship. Has scored 27 goals this season. 23 years of age. Has played for Yeovil but doesn't appear to have made the mark and dropped down a few levels. Noticed that Aaron O Connor has scored 19 goals for Kettering in the same league.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:25 pm

cookiemonster wrote:Not convinced by Grubb? He must be involved in >50% of our goals man!

you might be right-hope you are.

I am simply saying that it takes more than ten games to be the consistent quality that you need to be.

i'll make that judgement about october ?

history show plenty of players who shine at first-and then slowly fade away.
Hopefully, that will not be the case with Grubb-and of the games i have seen he has looked very capable-albeit never been really outstanding-but i would not expect that to start with anyway .
i think he needs to improve further to be really comfortable at this level-and i suspect he would agree with me on that at least.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bronco » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:03 am

michael wrote:excellent player, although if that was the sort of figure being banded around in january-maybe no wonder no-one signed him!

-and if i were reuben reid -that would be a massive incentive to me to prove that he is even better than doidge

Strange way of looking at it, why should Reids main aspiration be to outdo his teammate? You make it sound as if he should resent any praise for Doidge
Bronco
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 am

Do i ?

there again-you are right-i am very strange .

i guess my mindset also competitive-and perhaps wrongly assume others are the same.

is it a bit like the subs bench-where players will say they want everyone to do well (through gritted teeth ) but in reality and honesty-they want the player in their position to do rubbish so they get in the team themselves next time !.

personally-can't see anything wrong with a bit of healthy competition between dodge and read-maybe raises the bar of both of them -to everyones advantage.

Deep down -do you think it possible that RR wants to do equally/better still, so he can get a similar transfer to a higher league club (and from what i have seen-he's making a pretty good job of it )
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:34 pm

What's the odds of him getting a wales cap in the future? Worth a punt I'd say.
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:14 pm

tommyd wrote:What's the odds of him getting a wales cap in the future? Worth a punt I'd say.

I’d love that and I’m sure he would. Have EFL 2 players made it to the squad in the past? There are still a few years for him to make it.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Just look at Omar with us - set the place alight on arrival, but could not kick on - and now luckily placed away at Bromley on a short-loan to further his experience of game-time, and presumably will be welcomed back with open arms for pre-season training. Could be an inspirational path to take - i certainly hope so.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:06 pm

Just look at Omar with us - set the place alight on arrival, but could not kick on - and now luckily placed away at Bromley on a short-loan to further his experience of game-time, and presumably will be welcomed back with open arms for pre-season training. Could be an inspirational path to take - i certainly hope so.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby michael » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Thats sort of the point i was making with regards to Grubb-so far so good; but it is early days still,and he has it even tougher to step up to the EFL -and maybe next season to an EFL side in the upper half of the table

That given-the manager seems to like and want to play him-which does help ,and when Mr Cooper wants to put Grubb on the naughty step-at least grubb can retort-oi-thats my job -i'm the schoolmaster around here !!
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:53 pm

Hey! Doidge, Reid and Grubb appear to have formed some form of holy trinity in the scheme of things.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby tommyd » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Tommo wrote:
tommyd wrote:What's the odds of him getting a wales cap in the future? Worth a punt I'd say.

I’d love that and I’m sure he would. Have EFL 2 players made it to the squad in the past? There are still a few years for him to make it.

Not sure about league 2 players for wales tbh but if he makes it to the championship and has an impact I wouldn't be surprised and it's not as if wales are drowning in striker options. It's definitely not something out of his reach imo
tommyd
Top Manager
Top Manager

Next

Return to FGR First Team