MOTM

All about our First Team

MOTM

Postby Bram65 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:52 pm

There were some good steady performances today by Brough and Jamie however I felt that Hardiker and Les were outstanding today.

John ran the back 4 and had the big lad upfront in his pocket throughout the game despite his height disadvantage.

Les battered their full back all the game and surely has played his way in to a starting place for Torquay.

Overall a decent performance and a well deserved victory.
Bram65
Youth
Youth

Re: MOTM

Postby jamsiep » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Totally agree with you there. Although Rigo was good he was not entirely deserving of the MOTM award. Hardiker was talismanic at the back and did not put a foot wrong all game, and Les played exceptionally well today, easily outshining Welsh, and making their left back look like an idiot on multiple occasions.

Terry did not have much to do but when he did he looked slightly shaky. He missed the ball once coming for a cross, resulting in a disallowed goal and he also unconvincingly saved and fumbled an easy save.

I am pleased that Fleets scored today, you could see he was getting more and more frustrated throughout the match as he missed a few one on ones, but eventually he came good and took his hardest chance of the match.

Any news on Tonks' injury?? Because he is a crucial player for us, although I thought that Stoner filled in well at the end.
Adriano Rigoglioslow!!!
jamsiep
Youth
Youth

Postby Podgers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:28 pm

thought hardiker was excellent today, i know lots of people say he looks lazy, but for me i just think he is a very cool customer who knows what to do and when to do it. probably the only one of our defenders who i would offer a contract for next season to know (giles/preece really need to improve on recent performances and i dont think tonks has any intention of staying)
Podgers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby jamsiep » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Podgers wrote:thought hardiker was excellent today, i know lots of people say he looks lazy, but for me i just think he is a very cool customer who knows what to do and when to do it. probably the only one of our defenders who i would offer a contract for next season to know (giles/preece really need to improve on recent performances and i dont think tonks has any intention of staying)

Hardiker is not lazy. He is just very calm, and thus may appear to be lazy. He is a very solid defender, I had my doubts when he moved to the centre from right back, especially given his height, but he has proven me wrong. Hopefully we can tie up a long term deal for him.
Adriano Rigoglioslow!!!
jamsiep
Youth
Youth

Postby Sledge » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Hardiker has looked good since moving to centre back because he has no pace. At full back he was always being left behind by wingers. At centre back he has far less running to do, and his other qualities come through. I seem to remember a Morecambe fan saying here or another forum that Hardiker was one of the best centre backs he'd seen, and couldn't understand why we played him at full back.
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby roy of the rovers » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:22 pm

MOTM ..........easy choice today.............john hardiker.dominated the back line for the whole 90 mins.les very tigerish first half,and hard working displays from pitman,lawless and fleets.
roy of the rovers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby SkunkMan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:27 pm

Agree, Hardiker was top quality. Need to find him a partner for next season as I am not sure Giles is quite good enough.

Les had one of his best games for us I thought. Worked tremendously hard. Pitman for me also looks better in that CM role than Brough does. Just seems more composed.
"Winning doesn't really matter, as long as you win." Vinny Jones
SkunkMan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby SimonC » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Brough was MOTM for me by a mile. Considering he was out of postion he did a great job in defence. Even the free-kick hw gave away at the end was a "good" one because the Woking player had got past him and it was just too wide to be really dangerous.

Les did well first half but was responsible for the free-kick that gave Woking their goal. It might be asked where Lawless was though.......... There wasn't much wrong with the positioning of the wall but we should have had someone on the line, at the far post - it would have been an easy clearance.

Riggo is coming good, today was his best performance this season, as I've said consistently he just needs time. The ball that played Fleetwood in for the one-on-one was probably the best ball I've seen in the Conference this season. I think he can be twice the player Mark "Subs Bench" Beesley ever was.
SimonC
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Bram65 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:40 pm

Hardiker is like any quality central defender he makes time.

He is not a full back and is wasted in that position. his defending was solid and his distribution was faultless.

Lets hope that we can offer him a sensible contract that provides him with security as it would be a great shame to lose quality players in the summer.

FGr are going places and therfore we need to try and secure our future.
Bram65
Youth
Youth

Postby Seat C32 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Afful excellent in the first half, probably his best 45 minutes since he tore us apart a few years ago at Exeter, then got chopped down early in the second half and gradually went backwards.
Brough very steady throughout, Fleetwood showed why he has scored so many goals with his positional play and pace, took the winner very well. Credit to their keeper for a couple of excellent saves.
Celli doesn't have much pace any more but the best 3 passes in the whole game came from him and he can shoot. That leaves me to the MOTM, no question Hardiker by a mile. Steady, composed and always in the right place at the right time. If every other player left at the end of the season keep him and build the rest of the squad around him.

Why weren't Jones or Giles even on the bench? Squash the rumours that were circulating around the stand before the kick off about a punch up involving JH.
Seat C32
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stroud green » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:08 pm

Seat C32 wrote:Why weren't Jones or Giles even on the bench? Squash the rumours that were circulating around the stand before the kick off about a punch up involving JH.

Jones and Gilo were both injured...
Twitter @shanehealey

Club photographer
stroud green
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Sledge » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Jones with 'a groin strain' - was that a kick in the nuts?
Sledge
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Green Lantern » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:11 pm

My MOTM today was Alex Lawless. I thought he had a really good game , coping very well in his defensive duties and looking particularly effective when going forward , something he did all match. However , the real outstanding performance of the game was Woking's keeper. Ross Worner made at least 6 wonderful saves , mostly to deny Fleets , and I'm sure we would have run out comfortable winners if not for him. Here's hoping that Torquay's keeper doesn't follow suit on Monday !
Green Lantern
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:32 pm

SimonC wrote:Les did well first half but was responsible for the free-kick that gave Woking their goal. It might be asked where Lawless was though.......... There wasn't much wrong with the positioning of the wall but we should have had someone on the line, at the far post - it would have been an easy clearance.

Riggo is coming good, today was his best performance this season, as I've said consistently he just needs time. The ball that played Fleetwood in for the one-on-one was probably the best ball I've seen in the Conference this season. I think he can be twice the player Mark "Subs Bench" Beesley ever was.

I think Lawless had just taken the corner and Pitman and Afful were back covering. Not sure why we'd leave our shortest players as the last line from an offensive corner but I guess the centre back were also up.

I agree with you on Celi.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Joycie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:34 pm

My Man of the Match would have to go to les for today. his performances of late have been very impressive and perhaps warrants a start against his former club on monday. his partnership with the right back in close quarters outisde the oppositions box is always very impressive - he usually does well with joner in situations like this.

jon hardiker would also push for the man of the match award in my opinion but if i was to pick a man of the match for woking i would give it to ross worner their keeper. not only did he pull of some great saves to deny stuart fleetwood you have to remember he is only 17 years old! and a product of their youth academy. a very good up and coming keeper.
Joycie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andyp » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:48 pm

My MOTM would have been Les. When Riggo was announced thought someone was having a laugh. I know football is about opinions, but for me he was shocking today (and today was a cameo of his season). He is slow, lightweight in the tackle, his movement is non existent and for a big man he cant jump.
andyp
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Foggy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:49 pm

Another vote for Les, the first 45 minutes he showed exactly why we signed him and why he should be in the starting line up, if he played like that every game we would probably struggle to keep him. It was obvious that Woking had decided he was their biggest threat, so much so that they tried to take him out of the game at the start of the second half, he just got up and battled on. His determination made the first goal, he was fouled just a couple of feet from the touchline, well inside our half, yet he kept his body between the fouler and the ball...despite the difference in size, somehow managed to get away with the ball, broke down the wing, past another defender and crossed for Celi to score.

There were plenty of good performances out there today, Fleets was persistant, JH bossed the defence and Jamie put in another workmanlike display in midfield...but the reaction of the Rockwool when the MOTM was announced said it all for me, they were singing the praises of Les.

Someone sat near me suggested that he is playing for a contract, now that he has a family to look after it is far more important that he keeps in work, if that is what fatherhood does to your game I have only one thing to say...get back on the nest again Les!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby jamsiep » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:28 pm

andyp wrote:My MOTM would have been Les. When Riggo was announced thought someone was having a laugh. I know football is about opinions, but for me he was shocking today (and today was a cameo of his season). He is slow, lightweight in the tackle, his movement is non existent and for a big man he cant jump.

Okay then lets look at the facts...

1 goal

1 assists

Set up 3 one on ones for Fleets.

So he must have been shocking.
Adriano Rigoglioslow!!!
jamsiep
Youth
Youth

Postby kevindhollywell » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 pm

Agree with most comments Les was dominate first half and their leftback must have been dreading it everytime he got the ball Broughie was excellent but we really miss him in the middle of the park but MoM was Hardiker he was outstanding today also thought Lawless had a good game
kevindhollywell
Reserves
Reserves

Postby FGRgirl » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 am

I think Celi played quite well today, i don't think he really deserved MOTM, but i thought he looked better than he has looked lately. Stil that laziness to him but he did set up the goal i believe, he scored and also set up a number of other chances for Fleets. I think that Hardiker should have been MOTM very good performance.
FGRgirl
Trainee
Trainee

Next

Return to FGR First Team