Team against Torquay

All about our First Team

Team against Torquay

Postby charles » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:40 pm

What do we think the team will be against Torquay,
With both teams needing a win, should be in for a great game.

Burton

Broughy Johna Hardiker Tonks

Les Pitman Lawlass Welsh

Celi Fleets

Subs
Dodgson
Preecy
Smith
Stonehouse
Robbo
charles
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Team against Torquay

Postby gooseman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:12 pm

Got a feeling things will be different for this game. Tonkin will be missing as he injuried ( hamstring ). I also think that Welsh will only make the bench as he has played for Torquay this season 20 games I believe. Torquay have a target man in Slills ( Preece will be able to cope )

-------------Burton

Jones, Giles, Preece, Hardiker

---Afful Piman Brough Clist

-----------Rigoglioso

-----------Fleetwood

Bench - Welsh Smith Stonehouse Dodgson Robinson
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:25 pm

It depends a lot on the injuries to the back four. I presume Tnks is out but what about Giles and Jones?

I would prefer Robbos experience between the sticks but think JH will stick with Burton for this one.

Then I hope that Giles and Jones are fit so we can play Jones, Brough, Giles, Hardiker across the back

Playing Brough there leaves room for Pitman and I would go Afful, Lawless, Pitman, Clist in midfield. I would consider Dodgson but he didn't make enough of an impression on Friday. Welsh doesn't get enough good crosss in for me. This does leave the midfield a bit unbalanced with Clist not as involved in the centre as he is at his best but Pitman is playing well and I would have to find a place for him. Lawles and Afful have also comnbined well and Afful is in too good form to drop.

Up front I would stick with Fleets and Celi.

But if Jones is out I would drop Lawless back to full back and if Giles is out, I'd play Stonehouse at full back and move Hardijker to centre back.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Tommo wrote:It depends a lot on the injuries to the back four. I presume Tnks is out but what about Giles and Jones?

I would prefer Robbos experience between the sticks

No thanks. His experiences between the sticks this term have been pretty grim. I go with Charles's selection.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby roy of the rovers » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:21 pm

burton

johna giles preece hardiker

les pitman clist smith lawless

fleetwood

subs

brough welsh dodgeson rigo robbo.

maybe this would not be everyones choice,but i think in a game like this a 5 man midfield is the way to go.we employed this at aldershot and it proved to be very effective.there are plenty of options on the bench if things need changing.
roy of the rovers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GreenJohn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:44 pm

If Tonks is not fit, and this seems to be the case, then I would put Stonehouse at left-back. Hardiker was the lynch-pin of the defence on friday and I think he should stay in the middle. brough also had a good game, so I woyuld also keep him there. This makes room for Pitman as the defensive midfielder and I think he has been our best player in this position since Xmas.

Burton
Jones Hardiker Brough Stonehouse
Afful Lawless Pitman Clist
Rigoglioso
Fleetwood

Subs
Robinson
Giles
Preece
Welsh
Smith or DCB(although he seems to have disappeared from view)
GreenJohn
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Podgers » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:36 pm

Burton
Jones Brough Hardiker Stonehouse
Les Lawless Pitman Clist
Riggo
Fleetwood

Subs; Robinson, Smith, Preece, Welsh, Dodgson

I know you lose some of clists ability out on the left, but i think stoney will need someone who wont leave too big a gap infront of him for people to run at him with. If tonks is out, torquay will aim all their attacks down the left, as they know we have no other left back.

If jones still isnt fit, move broughie across to the right and have preece in the middle. I think we should keep lawless in the centre unless it is absolutely necessary for him to play on the right, as this is where he can be most effective
Podgers
Reserves
Reserves

Postby a dog named pete » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:42 am

Is welsh allowed to play?
Forest Green - Barking?
a dog named pete
Youth
Youth

Postby Lady Magpie » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:53 am

I don't know the official answer but I can't see why not, he's not Torquay's player as he's registered to Yeovil Town. Like us, he was only on loan to both Torquay and Weymouth.

H
Lady Magpie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 am

Podgers wrote:I know you lose some of clists ability out on the left, but i think stoney will need someone who wont leave too big a gap infront of him for people to run at him with. If tonks is out, torquay will aim all their attacks down the left, as they know we have no other left back.

Theres a lot of sense in that. Hardiker has looked better in the middle too. I think you may be right about Stonehose playing left back.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby jamsiep » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:23 am

Tommo wrote:
Podgers wrote:I know you lose some of clists ability out on the left, but i think stoney will need someone who wont leave too big a gap infront of him for people to run at him with. If tonks is out, torquay will aim all their attacks down the left, as they know we have no other left back.

Theres a lot of sense in that. Hardiker has looked better in the middle too. I think you may be right about Stonehose playing left back.

I agree. Stonehouse did look reasonably impressive when he came on against Torquay, he gives the team just as much as Tonks going forward, especially considering he is not naturally a wingback, and although he may not be the world best defender he partially makes up for this with his outstanding work rate and his desperation to do well, as shown in his cameo against Woking as he was popping up everywhere giving Woking problems in attack and in defence.
Adriano Rigoglioslow!!!
jamsiep
Youth
Youth

Postby madasahatter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:25 pm

Stonehouse should be given a start. Boundless energy and enthusiasm; when he came on against Woking continuously chased and harried; we will need to knock Torquay out of their stride and force them into errors, and he's just the kiddy to do it.
madasahatter
Youth
Youth

Postby Tommo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Stonehouse is, perhaps more than most in the sqaud, playing for a contract next season. He has been in and around the squad for a few years and has gradually progressed. His ability to play in all positions on the left is not yet proven but his willingness to give the left back slot a go is very worthy and will be very useful if he can continue to develop. He hasn't developed the ability to beat his man by pace or trickery on the left wing but some versitility might compensate. I increasingly hope he is given a chance today.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Agree with you on Stoney, I would love to see him do well with FGR, you highlight possibly the biggest problem he has and that is finding the confidence to take on and beat an opponent...he would do well to watch the video from Friday and try to emulate the performance Les produced...finally taking on and proving that he could put an opponent in his pocket...with a player like that on each wing we could cause serious damage to almost every team in the league.
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:20 pm

madasahatter wrote:Stonehouse should be given a start. Boundless energy and enthusiasm; when he came on against Woking continuously chased and harried; we will need to knock Torquay out of their stride and force them into errors, and he's just the kiddy to do it.

You've got your wish: most of us who have followed Paul's dedication and willingness to adapt his game want him to do well. I've no doubt he's playing for his contract so let's hope he has a successful outing at Torquay.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Sounds like Stoney is having a decent game. How frustrating that it is in a 10 man team. Presumably Tonks is out for a few games and so he will get more chances at full back.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Joycie » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Tommo wrote:Sounds like Stoney is having a decent game. How frustrating that it is in a 10 man team. Presumably Tonks is out for a few games and so he will get more chances at full back.

yeah sounds like he is having a good game with a couple of efforts on goal too. he came on and did well also against woking and it seems he is definetly playing for a contract next season. could be his chance to prove himself with tonks out for a while.
Joycie
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to FGR First Team