Jamie Carragher

For chat about all other topics

Jamie Carragher

Postby King George » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Whats everyone's thought on what he's done then? Should he keep his job etc?
King George
First Team
First Team

Re: Jamie Carragher

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:55 pm

I think that his actions are disgusting, from anyone, yet alone someone in the public eye, and cannot understand why anyone would do that. It just shows the mentality of the person involved. I would say here and now, I do not accept his apologies because they are so false, and would agree if SKY were to sack him - make a stand here and show him for what he really is........an uncouth individual not worthy of our attention.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Mild breeze in a damp thimble. He shouldn't have done it in those circumstances but it's hardly the end of the world. Another non-story given coverage ahead of real news.
"I just don't know what went wrong!"
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Looks to me more like the people goading and filming while driving (allegedly) are more offenders than the offended.

Spittergate

Next business. More saliva spat out at football grounds week in week out.
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:04 pm

It was only a mild spat...............................a spit in the ocean really !.
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 pm

A few seasons ago, when Newport played at 'Spytty' Park ground, some of their supporters must have trained there during the week. Remember coming home on the coach after a win there, and we received the full braodside on the coach windows. :(
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:18 am

GETCARTER wrote:I think that his actions are disgusting, from anyone, yet alone someone in the public eye, and cannot understand why anyone would do that. It just shows the mentality of the person involved. I would say here and now, I do not accept his apologies because they are so false, and would agree if SKY were to sack him - make a stand here and show him for what he really is........an uncouth individual not worthy of our attention.

I agree with this
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 am

Tommo wrote:
GETCARTER wrote:I think that his actions are disgusting, from anyone, yet alone someone in the public eye, and cannot understand why anyone would do that. It just shows the mentality of the person involved. I would say here and now, I do not accept his apologies because they are so false, and would agree if SKY were to sack him - make a stand here and show him for what he really is........an uncouth individual not worthy of our attention.

I agree with this

Punish, punish, punish.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:21 am

king giraffe III wrote:
Tommo wrote:

I agree with this

Punish, punish, punish.

Yeah, in this case I think depriving him of prominence is sensible. I don't think spitting at girls (or anyone else for that matter) is right.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:04 am

He was provoked, reacted badly, has publicly apologised and been suspended by his employers until the end of the season. He has also been publicly embarrassed/humiliated in the process. Surely that's enough punishment? It's not like he actually hurt anyone.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby voodoobluesman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 am

Agreed. A stupid thing to do, but nobody died.
voodoobluesman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Dodged a £200 fine and 6 points.

Oh, we are talking about Carragher.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Vile conduct by Carragher. Pundits are hardly in short supply and given the public profile of the job he is exceedingly fortunate to have escaped sacking outright. Does a multi-millionaire really need Sky's help in learning how not to give this sort of abuse?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:Vile conduct by Carragher. Pundits are hardly in short supply and given the public profile of the job he is exceedingly fortunate to have escaped sacking outright. Does a multi-millionaire really need Sky's help in learning how not to give this sort of abuse?

:lol: Never mind the people dishing it out to him in the first place? What is it with people that they can't see the woods for the trees? :roll:
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:05 am

"Never mind the people dishing it out to him in the first place"

Please explain? I thought there were verbal taunts which can hardly have been new to a former player experienced in Liverpudlian & Mancunian derbies. And since when was retaliation justified? Would you be as understanding if MC had spat at someone abusing his son?

For a person holding down a job in a high profile public role this would normally be treated as a gross disciplinary offence and automatic dismissal. Had a teacher done something similar beyond the confines of a school premises, you can bet than he/she would receive zero tolerance.

My expectation is that Carragher will be quietly dropped by next season. Lets face it, he will doubtless be targeted by any non Liverpudlian in future big matches and fans will not want to lug pac-a-macs around just in case ...
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Chrisgump11 wrote:"Never mind the people dishing it out to him in the first place"

Please explain? I thought there were verbal taunts which can hardly have been new to a former player experienced in Liverpudlian & Mancunian derbies. And since when was retaliation justified? Would you be as understanding if MC had spat at someone abusing his son?

For a person holding down a job in a high profile public role this would normally be treated as a gross disciplinary offence and automatic dismissal. Had a teacher done something similar beyond the confines of a school premises, you can bet than he/she would receive zero tolerance.

My expectation is that Carragher will be quietly dropped by next season. Lets face it, he will doubtless be targeted by any non Liverpudlian in future big matches and fans will not want to lug pac-a-macs around just in case ...

But it's pillory, pillory, pillory, punish, punish, punish. Don't you think context has some part in this? JC was on his own time, possibly having a bad day and possibly had a straw-camel moment. People are far too quick to call for the noose. Is it because he's famous? Because it was phlegm of the same kind that footballers roll around in on the grass?

Should we delude ourselves that people are perfect angels all of the time? They aren't. You should meet some of the teachers I've known.

BTW, I'm highly amused that when one of our players deliberately stamps on an opponent you aren't calling for him to be sacked. :lol: Would I rather someone spit in my direction or someone possibly break my hip with their studs? I wonder.
king giraffe III
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
BTW, I'm highly amused that when one of our players deliberately stamps on an opponent you aren't calling for him to be sacked. :lol: Would I rather someone spit in my direction or someone possibly break my hip with their studs? I wonder.

Amazing how a petty little stamp, when it's done by a person you have an agenda against, suddenly becomes horrific violence, and gets worse every time it gets brought up.
Next you'll be saying Beckham kung-fu kicked Simeone in 98. :lol: We've had players get clapped off for much worse.

On Carragher, there will be some who will want to see him lynched for it, mainly because of who he is. He acted poorly and deserves to be punished, but not for it to destroy his future career. He has publicly apologised, and will be suspended from his job for the rest of the season. That's enough imo.

If the likes of Joey Barton and Stan Collymore can still have media careers, then so should he.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Amazing how you can be self righteous one moment Giraffe and judgemental the next - for example your posts about Charlie Cooper. Rather early in the year for flip-flops isn't it?

I'm sorry if you cannot distinguish between a grown man in his 40s - experienced in many highly competitive sometimes bad tempered football matches who now plies his trade publicly putting professionals under the microscope - caught in the a vile act of 'gobbing' at a 14 year old, and a foul committed on the field of play by a 20 year old duly punished.

I understand what K/S says about the gravity of the offence and that Carragher has apologised. I simply happen to disagree in this instance.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:15 pm

That's fair enough Chrisgump, I can see the point you're making too. It was a vile act, he should definitely know better and I can see why many people want to see him sacked for it.

The public backlash he's rightfully recieved has been pretty humiliating for him and his family though, and he has at least shown remorse. I think in general people do deserve second chances, although as ever the worry is the example set by people in the pulic eye to impressionable kids. If Sky do end up sacking him, I'll understand why.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Cannot agree with any of the above comments re: its not the end of the world, no-one has been hurt, lets move on, he was provoked, etc, etc. Totally agree with Chris grump .........I was a teacher for over 30 years and if I had done that I would have expected to be disciplined, taken to the Teaching Council, sacked and lost my job, pension, and self-respect amongst my peers. That would have been exactly what I would have deserved. Just because you live in the limelight, earn a million pounds a year and are a TV soccer pundit, you cannot be excused for your behaviour - everybody is accountable and must face and accept the consequences of your actions. If I punch someone in the pub on a Saturday night, my actions will be brought before the law of the land and I will face a judge in court on a Monday. Enough said........
GETCARTER
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to General Chat