Date for fans' forum announced

For chat about all other topics

Date for fans' forum announced

Postby FGR_Media » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Forest Green Rovers will be holding their first fans’ forum of the 2018/19 season on Tuesday, October 30.
Full details here: https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/october-2018 ... -announced
FGR_Media
Youth
Youth

Re: Date for fans' forum announced

Postby michael » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 pm

thats a pleasant surprise -good stuff

the disingenuous cynic in me says that its always easier to hold such an event when you are doing ok !

lets hope that on the 30th october-the clubs unbeaten start to the season will still be up for discussion/comment
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 pm

I’d like to offer the top table pre-warning of two questions I wish to ask at meeting.

Q. Will Mr Vince be retaining the Forest Green Rovers FC name after stadium move to new site away from the Forest Green hamlet?

The subject of former players mental & physical health has become an active topic of late.
Players [and managers] work in an almost unique position to rest of working population where their livelihood depends on how well they perform ie they are only as good as their last match. That could lead to disproportionate anxiety and mental welfare issues. [Jock Stein & Gary Speed both died before old age]
The wide raging debate also includes former players unable to handle a steep drop in wages and end up bankrupt or in prison.
Q. What help does FGR offer to assist former FGR players who have fallen on various bad times?
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Norton Boy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 pm

michael wrote:thats a pleasant surprise -good stuff

the disingenuous cynic in me says that its always easier to hold such an event when you are doing ok !

lets hope that on the 30th october-the clubs unbeaten start to the season will still be up for discussion/comment

Too be fair Michael they held one last year when we were deep in the doodoo and answered every question that was fielded.
I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Norton Boy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Norton Boy wrote:
michael wrote:thats a pleasant surprise -good stuff

Too be fair Michael they held one last year when we were deep in the doodoo and answered every question that was fielded.

as you say-fair dues - i missed/did not realise/forgot that .

that given-still a nicer place to be in at present than 12 months ago ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Players [and managers] work in an almost unique position to rest of working population where their livelihood depends on how well they perform ie they are only as good as their last match. That could lead to disproportionate anxiety and mental welfare issues. [Jock Stein & Gary Speed both died before old age]
The wide raging debate also includes former players unable to handle a steep drop in wages and end up bankrupt or in prison.

interesting question OTC ,albeit i absolutely disagree that football employees are in an 'almost unique position'.
i would have thought that situation you outline applies to virtually every working person in the country.
you may be especially privileged, but most peoples jobs depend on their performance ,and everyone is in control of their finances be it large or small salary ,and can/could suffer the nasty fates you suggest

i just can't see how the football profession is any different to any other vocation .
you may say its a shorter career .
but so are the services in a lot of instances.
people change careers/jobs in all walks of life .

where's the specific difference ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Theoperator » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:38 pm

michael wrote:Players [and managers] work in an almost unique position to rest of working population where their livelihood depends on how well they perform ie they are only as good as their last match. That could lead to disproportionate anxiety and mental welfare issues. [Jock Stein & Gary Speed both died before old age]

interesting question OTC ,albeit i absolutely disagree that football employees are in an 'almost unique position'.
i would have thought that situation you outline applies to virtually every working person in the country.
you may be especially privileged, but most peoples jobs depend on their performance ,and everyone is in control of their finances be it large or small salary ,and can/could suffer the nasty fates you suggest

i just can't see how the football profession is any different to any other vocation .
you may say its a shorter career .
but so are the services in a lot of instances.
people change careers/jobs in all walks of life .

where's the specific difference ?

1. Ex Service employees are highly employable usually with transferable skills. Apart from management punditry and agents theres not as much transferable.
2. Footballers almost invariably have injuries as an occupational hazard that impact on future careers and life as well, including head injuries (See Jeff Astle for a bad case)
3. Footballers sometimes have a huge playing wage get used to it then it goes- with little or no pension provision (Maybe different now) however any pension above the annual allowance now down from 250K to 40K a year is taxed. Those in lower divisions get poor pay relatively then even that goes.
When you are accustomed to one wage ballpark its a big change in lifestyle to get used to.
4. Footballers endure an employment regime that often shouts/ demeans and generally treats them poorly. Certainly bullying appears to be common too. Then they have to perform in front of fans, half of whom are hostile to a degree, other fans are specifically genuinely hostile to you. Im not aware they get any training on that, I get say traffic wardens are similar but it is these days often all recorded, and there is some training on hostile reception tactics.
5. Footballers have short term contracts at best- max 5 years usually loads less.
6. Mens Football is a macho culture, any suggestion of mood problems gets a poor response, often can mean end of contract or career.
7. Any days work as a footballer could lead to a career ending scenario. Unclear whether any compensation would be forthcoming, as opposed to most occupations.

Surprised you cant see that it is unusual from most other jobs. When did you last see a Professional footballer come out as Gay? How many footballers announce that they are depressed?
Theoperator
First Team
First Team

Return to General Chat