Solihull Moors

For chat about all other topics

Solihull Moors

Postby michael » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:24 am

Would Solihull reaching the EFL be a bigger shock than FGR were two seasons ago ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Solihull Moors

Postby paulK » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:10 am

michael wrote:Would Solihull reaching the EFL be a bigger shock than FGR were two seasons ago ?

Probably yes, given how they struggled over the years in the lower divisions, their only recent recent rise to fame and no particular investment (unless they have borrowed)

Nice that a former footballer gets another crack at management and is having success.

Bit of a "franchise club" tho' ;) Astute way of acquiring a ground ;)
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 am

Darren Carter got another last night. The juxtaposition between Solihull & Kidderminster Harriers in recent years is astonishing. Tim Flowers has done a remarkable job over the last 12 months
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:42 am

Like to think that it was Darren's influence.....
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGR-Ledge » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Yes I recon Michael.

Solihull are a much smaller club in terms of attendances and definitely media exposure.

Hope they come up though, as I think they will add something different to this division. Come on the Moors!! 8-)
FGR-Ledge
First Team
First Team

Postby RyRover » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm still dipping my toe into the national league. It's been a fascinating season at both ends of the league. Couldn't believe Borehamwood got to the final last year, that would of been a major upset had they gone up. Solihull Moors are of the same ilk. Really hope they go up.

I can't stand Salford City. Something about the Man U connection just doesn't sit right with me. With so many clubs in and around Greater Manchester id like to know how far Salford can grow!!!??? Seems to me there'd be a glass ceiling, much like ourselves
Championship or bust
RyRover
Reserves
Reserves

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:51 pm

How have we got a glass ceiling ?. DV would smash it !.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:15 pm

GETCARTER wrote:How have we got a glass ceiling ?. DV would smash it !.

or go broke trying :?:
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:58 pm

...and recycle the glass!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby paulK » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:29 pm

Foggy wrote:

...and recycle the glass!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Not that many 'big clubs'with historical allegiances to the football league , either left in the in national league or close to promotion this season.

(indeed aldershot, chesterfield and maidstone could be heading the other way )

maybe Wrexham and Orient will be the duo coming up, but otherwise-sutton.fylde, salford,solihull,ebbsfleet ,harrogate,eastleigh are hardly 'big clubs' (whatever a big club is ) ,albeit obviously Fylde and Salford in particular are looking to be the next 'big ' thing
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 am

michael wrote:Not that many 'big clubs'with historical allegiances to the football league , either left in the in national league or close to promotion this season.

(indeed aldershot, chesterfield and maidstone could be heading the other way )

Whilst Chesterfield could be said to have had some historical allegiance with the football league having been members for many years, I'm not sure about the other two. But I suppose it might depend on a definition of allegiance.

Aldershot are a reincarnation following the resignation from the league of the original Aldershot team which went bankrupt in the early 1990's and spent only about 5 seasons in the lower division after fighting their way back up.

Maidstone are also a reincarnation. The original spent an arm and a leg getting out of the conference only to last about 3 seasons before going bankrupt. Again in the early 1990's.

Would accept the point that some clubs exiting the EFL have had trouble remaining in tier 5 and dropped even further.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:56 am

Whilst the main thrust of my original post was to comment on those potentially 'coming up' and not 'going down 'with the possible exception of chesterfield-,concur with your points re maidstone and aldershot-and does it go to show that over time, clubs will find their 'natural level', mainly but not exclusively ,commensurate with their catchment area ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:14 pm

michael wrote:Whilst the main thrust of my original post was to comment on those potentially 'coming up' and not 'going down 'with the possible exception of chesterfield-,concur with your points re maidstone and aldershot-and does it go to show that over time, clubs will find their 'natural level', mainly but not exclusively ,commensurate with their catchment area ?

For some places yes, I agree Michael but, as you say it probably the main reason, for others it can be the competition for supporters. The more you can attract the better. Accrington Stanley are an amazing exception in this respect.

For most, there probably is a level and fortunes will wax and wane with the level of management and investment. There are quite a few 'incarnation' who have hauled themselves back up. Wimbledon must be the prime example.

It's always great to see these "little clubs" making it, even in the lower divisions. I've followed Chippenham Town's fortunes since I used to go there as an early teen. National South? Amazing.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat