Food.

For chat about all other topics

Food.

Postby Tomiswalking » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Queues for the food are terrible. Missing 10 mins of the game I've paid for, eventually getting to the front finding out they have sold out.

Please sort it out.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Re: Food.

Postby OldManDave » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:03 am

The whole half-time experience is terrible these days. For at least five minutes beforehand people are leaving East Stand seats to get up to the CE, or down to the main servery, getting in everyone else's way, in order to be sure of getting served. Then you have the same problem in reverse once the second half has started. The number of tables in the CE has grown until today there was no tea/coffee/cake on sale and the standing area full of bemused fans trying to eat or drink while wedged together in the small remaining space. Of course its OK if you are willing to pay £45 a pop for a table but the club has lost sight of the many who just want to pay £2.90 for tea and cake or buy a beer. In my view there is also a serious Health & Safety issue in the massive overcrowding in that area and the top corridor.
The sooner the 'luxury experience' crowd are put down in the gym, the better. There they won't have the excuse of being able to watch the match while eating and drinking. What are we? A restaurant with football? Or a football club with refreshment facilities? Having been told to go to the Green Man for my refreshments and realising that there was no chance of getting there, buying something, and even getting back to my seat before the second half, I then didn't bother. I was told that an announcement had been made about the new arrangement - but I didn't hear one until halfway through half time. What is wrong with putting up some large clear notices to clarify the situation? Last season there was an extra refreshment stall near the C entrance (and actually at a slightly reduced price to make up for the dreadful ambience) - why has that been dropped?
Did anyone go to the Green Man today at half time? What was the situation there like?
I will be bringing my own food and drink next time. Not because of the vegan issue but simply because I am totally fed up with the dreadful service (not the staff, who try hard) and would certainly not bring a friend to a place that treats paying customers so poorly. True fans are being forgotten and made to suffer in order to boost the 'luxury' experience of a much smaller number.
OldManDave
Reserves
Reserves

Postby michael » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:32 am

You ask if the club are a 'restaurant with football' ?

does your post suggest that in your instance-food/drink is as important ,if not more so than the football,so you seem to be in favour of that .
its simply a matter for you of improving the 'restaurant '.

Nothing wrong with that .
I have similarly been to plenty of restaurants where there is room for improvement

i always stand,as the football experience is vastly more important to me ,than the food,and i don't feel badly treated standing there ( free handwarmers would be a nice gesture, but i like to think i am reasonable in my expectations of what the club can and should provide without moaning ) ,although following on from your post- i note your definition of one of those true fan things as being one who goes for the food , and thus has to be someone who sits in the east stand .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:26 am

Went had a look at Green Man queue seemed fairly long albeit better then elsewhere not a bad idea to have another outlet.

Personally couldn't care less about getting food at half time if it means missing any of the football it's not worth it, I'm there for the football can always get a kebab in Nailsworth after the game.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:25 am

Some people do care though kentstripe. So we will have smaller crowds or we will have the seats in front getting up 5 mins before the end of the half and returning 5 mins In to the 2nd which in my opinion is rubbish.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:41 am

Tomiswalking wrote:Some people do care though kentstripe. So we will have smaller crowds or we will have the seats in front getting up 5 mins before the end of the half and returning 5 mins In to the 2nd which in my opinion is rubbish.

I know what you're saying but tbf it's the same at most grounds, by opening the Green Man at half time the club are clearly trying to do something but there's only so much the club can do with limited space. Maybe a few mobile vendors going round the ground at half time might help a bit?
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:57 am

Good idea. Dont really know why it's got worse though?
Have we had much bigger home crowds this season?
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I suggest another till. Most staff are standing around waiting for orders from one till. Also more stock. Last week it was burgers, this week it was buns that ran out.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 pm

It's an interesting point in our development off the pitch.

Since 2015 we've been pursuing a new stadium and that will still be a while off yet. Whatever the timeline it is obviously a distraction when considering investment in The New Lawn.

Off the pitch we're a victim of our success with the CE and Black and White bursting at the seems. Crowds of 2000 plus mean longer queues at the outlets.

The gym project is in procurement and will ease some pressure.

The New system for the bar in the CE suite is working extremely well. Other improvements are in the offing as well.

Moving the cake to the Green Man and utilising the space at half time will be a learning curve but is a good use if the space.

The Green Man hasn't really got any atmosphere but could be improved as a space. But is it worth the investment if we're moving? Yes in my opinion.

The outlet cooking facilities are being looked at to increase the choice of food on offer around the ground.

Good stuff.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Yes, annoying people - those that go to make the queue early. But, as said, that's probably the norm at most grounds.

More annoying are those that arrive for the second half up to five or even 10 minutes late probably because of queueing.

The change of location for those in the East stand was not well publicised - just as it never is when it is changed in the CE suite - resulting in fans having to return from the direction they came, against the inward flow. The steward was doing his best at half time but wasn't the perfect parrot. I heard him when I went back to the stairs'

No criticism of the guy at all. The club could have posted some temporary signage.

Once in the Green Man there wasn't much of a queue. I guess people were still trying to locate the cakes. It was and remained rather empty and devoid of atmosphere, unlike the CE.

There was tons of space and that didn't change. On finishing my cake, I returned the the game. I noticed a somewhat longer queue as I was leaving. I went directly to my seat and got there just as the second-half kicked off.

As for pre-match. Most annoying that I can't go in through the turnstile with most direct access to the queue for coffee beneath the stand. Have to say the queue did seem to move quicker this week. On arriving atthe hatch the reason became obvious. More staff working instead of watching.

As I went to my seat I did think to myself, hmmmm... this is a good way of sneaking into the stand for the second half.

Overall I think the experience sadly matched that of the players performance on the pitch (with the exception of Lewis)

However: As for pre-match, most annoying that I can't go in through the turnstile with most direct access to the queue for coffee beneath the stand. Have to say the queue did seem to move quicker this week. On arriving at the hatch the reason became obvious. More staff working instead of watching.

Reassessing overall: curate and egg.

Suggestion: the new restaurant is wanted sooner rather than later and some commitment needs to be shown by the club in the form of date for completion and progress updates i.e. some positive and engaging PR rather than the promise of something someday.
paulK
First Team
First Team

Postby OldManDave » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 am

Michael (above)
You got me all wrong there - missed the irony.
Like you I go to watch the football but for some years have preferred to sit to do so, hence my lack of appreciation for having my view blocked or having to stand to let the early (or late) eaters pass.
I don't go for a sit down meal but enjoy a snack and a drink at half time and a chat to other supporters if I can find them in the crush. I appreciate quick service if possible so I can get back to my seat before the second half. "Football club with refreshments" is all I require! :)
OldManDave
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Tomiswalking » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:10 pm

New till and more burgers and chips. No need to take it to planning meetings.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Postby Molly68008 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Do they sell pretzels?
Molly68008
Youth
Youth

Postby Tomiswalking » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am

I have never seen pretzels being sold at the ground. Maybe upstairs in the ce suite.
Tomiswalking
First Team
First Team

Return to General Chat