Brexit

For chat about all other topics

Re: Honda

Postby Greeners » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:00 am

Hi
Well I voted to come out in '75 and I haven't changed my opinion since. The EEC was a thinly disguised attempt by the original mem,bers to subsume GB into a single European State which they have tried to perpetuate ever since with the various treaties:
Treaty of Lisbon
Treaty of Nice
Treaty of Amsterdam
Treaty on European Union - Maastricht Treaty
Single European Act
Merger Treaty - Brussels Treaty

Every bit of paper our PM's have brought back from those have been about as trustworthy as Neville Chamberlain's in 1938.

Personally I think the European "Super" State will go the way of the Balkans.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:38 am

It’s not really about State, though.

It’s about market, customs, collective bargaining, the greater good, (fighting Amazon). None of which are there outside the EU.

Trouble is, the media have been feeding a constant anti-Eu rhetoric down our throats, because they want to be able to tell governments what to do, and they cannot do that with the EU. The Daily Mail, Express, Telegraph, all in it for themselves.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:46 am

Too occasional fan wrote:It’s not really about State, though.

It’s about market, customs, collective bargaining, the greater good, (fighting Amazon). None of which are there outside the EU.

Trouble is, the media have been feeding a constant anti-Eu rhetoric down our throats, because they want to be able to tell governments what to do, and they cannot do that with the EU. The Daily Mail, Express, Telegraph, all in it for themselves.

Perhaps, perhaps not but they are minnows compared to the BBC who are overwhelmingly anti-Brexit.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Too occasional fan wrote:It’s not really about State, though.

Perhaps, perhaps not but they are minnows compared to the BBC who are overwhelmingly anti-Brexit.

Minnows? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You seem to be forgetting that the BBC has to appear generally impartial, whereas those rags can essentially print what they want. And what's the most popular news site in Britain? Clue: it is not the BBC.
king giraffe III

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 am

king giraffe III wrote:
You seem to be forgetting that the BBC has to appear generally impartial, whereas those rags can essentially print what they want. And what's the most popular news site in Britain? Clue: it is not the BBC.

The BBC are not impartial.
They are anti-Brexit.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 am

Greeners wrote:Hi
Well I voted to come out in '75 and I haven't changed my opinion since. The EEC was a thinly disguised attempt by the original mem,bers to subsume GB into a single European State which they have tried to perpetuate ever since with the various treaties:
Treaty of Lisbon
Treaty of Nice
Treaty of Amsterdam
Single European Act

Every bit of paper our PM's have brought back from those have been about as trustworthy as Neville Chamberlain's in 1938.

Brexiters always get around to Hitler's betrayal of poor old Nev as a means of pointing out why the British should never trust Johnny Foreigner. It's so pathetic I despair.

You can't compare the EU to Yugoslavia. In the latter there was no exit clause beyond armed conflict. It is one thing to be nationalist and part of a trade group that you can leave. It is another to be nationalist and see your state consumed within a bigger state.
king giraffe III

Postby king giraffe III » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:14 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:

They are anti-Brexit.

You've still not answered my question. What is the most read British news outlet? Yet you call them a minnow. :lol:

So every article and report produced by the BBC on Brexit is opposed to it? Nonsense. When it comes to live reports you will always have a bias presented by individual reporters. But in those tatty newspapers you so love the pro-Breggzit bias comes from the very top.

At least you haven't started banging on about the ISIS bride yet. I'll give you that. :lol:
king giraffe III

Postby The Game Within » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am

I think the reduction in No's in the C&E and B&W is down to Brexit.
The Game Within
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 pm

The Game Within wrote:I think the reduction in No's in the C&E and B&W is down to Brexit.

And the state of the pitch. That’s down to Brexit.

Can’t believe an earlier post used the ‘majority of people voted to leave’ argument. :lol:

Almost half of those who voted wanted to remain. That’s an awful lot of people and only marginally fewer than those who voted to leave. The mistake was in not setting out a required margin of victory. The vote should have been declared ‘undecided’ with anything less than a 60/40 majority in my opinion.

I agree that with hindsight, a re-vote would turn up a significant majority to remain. Which is why it won’t happen.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:28 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:

They are anti-Brexit.

You need to tell us what you read. Until then your view of the BBC is irrelevant.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby chopsy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:38 am

Treaty of Lisbon
Treaty of Nice
Treaty of Amsterdam
Single European Act

In an increasingly globalised world why is it a problem if some rules are made by a larger group than just our politicians?

Also why are European politicians less trustworthy than our own?
chopsy
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:41 am

chopsy wrote:
Treaty of Lisbon
Treaty of Nice
Treaty of Amsterdam
Single European Act

In an increasingly globalised world why is it a problem if some rules are made by a larger group than just our politicians?

Also why are European politicians less trustworthy than our own?

Good points. I think a lot of it comes down to that astonishingly arrogant attitude that the British know best, which is itself something of a fantasy.

I wonder if this post will be deleted as well?
king giraffe III

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:08 pm

king giraffe III wrote:Good points. I think a lot of it comes down to that astonishingly arrogant attitude that the British know best, which is itself something of a fantasy.

Spot on. There was a view from the Brexiteers that we would tell Johnny Foreigner which bits of the EU agreements we would keep and where to stick the rest.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby man_of_kent » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:23 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
Good points. I think a lot of it comes down to that astonishingly arrogant attitude that the British know best, which is itself something of a fantasy.

Couldn't agree more KGIII - One of my main lines. In my industry (as i assume for many) there is a thing called OPEX (operational experience). The first thing I do is look at best practice and experience world wide. In our political debates its like we must not believe that other counties have a better approach!
man_of_kent
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:24 pm

In Education too, during the last decade we have become far more aware that other countries may provide better and more successful teaching methods than our own. We have learned so much from Finland, Singapore, Estonia and China. European exchange programmes and placements have been brilliant for our students. The idea that Britain always does things best in the modern world has all but gone.

But hey there's still much to celebrate and treasure in the UK - yet so much, especially huge consumers of cash such as the NHS, require a healthy economy which in turn needs thriving businesses. Brexit, especially the No-Deal scenario threatens this.

This week has seen a wake up call for politics in the UK. Politicians have come out and spoken about what the public have know for a while. Leaders have been putting their party, ideology and dogma first, instead of the national interest.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Charlie5football » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Politicians only look after themselves and have their own agenda. A thought when we have a General election we don't say 'oh we don't like the result' let's have another one !!!! me just proud to be British.
Charlie5football
Reserves
Reserves

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:15 pm

Charlie5football wrote:Politicians only look after themselves and have their own agenda. A thought when we have a General election we don't say 'oh we don't like the result' let's have another one !!!! me just proud to be British.

But your thought pretty much sums up why Theresa May called the most recent election: she thought she would win a greater majority on the back of triggering Article 50 than the slim margin David Cameron possessed. It didn't quite work that way though. If I was her I'd be attempting to call another election now. It's indicative of Labour's current state that they seem completely unable to give May the metaphorical kicking her government really should be receiving.

As for being proud to be British, I feel more embarrassed than anything. About time I tried to get the Irish passport I'm entitled to.
king giraffe III

Postby Charlie5football » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:48 pm

Good post KG me just want to bugger off and live in Greece well an island but they have no dosh, good luck with the passport. Sl
Charlie5football
Reserves
Reserves

Postby chopsy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:07 am

Charlie5football wrote:Politicians only look after themselves and have their own agenda. A thought when we have a General election we don't say 'oh we don't like the result' let's have another one !!!! me just proud to be British.

Not sure whether you were suggesting you can't be but I voted remain and am also proud to be British. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.
chopsy
First Team
First Team

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:59 am

king giraffe III wrote:

And don't forget kg iii ... "They bent our neon tubes", or something like that. :lol:

Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat