Brexit

For chat about all other topics

Re: Brexit

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:33 pm

So the maniacal May is now bent on bullying MPs into accepting a deal they have rejected twice already or push an unprepared nation off the cliff on to the No Deal rocks beneath. It truly is as if we are locked in the back of a runaway taxi with a lunatic at the wheel.
User avatar
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby michael » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:# Only a Remoaner would say that UK has lost respect because of Brexit.


The latest Sky Data poll finds 90% of Brits think the Brexit talks have been a “national humiliation”


is that because most of the population of the UK think the UK is some sort of 'superior country ,whereas the reality is that europe and the rest of the world have not held the Uk in high regard for the whole of this millennium and probably before.

we actually are the proverbial tin pot nation, overtaken by most of the world, deluded into thinking we matter ,with a vast number of the population still thinking its 'like it was' in the 1960's .
we were 'overtaken ' decades ago .


the rest of europe does not care about us.
Europe had the upper hand on the brexit negotiations from the outset-but the stupid british people did not realise/understand/were too full of their (our ) own self importance .
Europe has been RIGHTLY laughing at us for years .
Brexit just confirmed to europe that we really are arrogant stupid

unfortunately, i am now probably too old to leave the country, and just cling on to a bit of hope that we will stay in the EU.
the country needs all the help it can muster
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 7544
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:56 pm

This really is getting too boring......let's get on with the future.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby Tommo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:20 pm

GETCARTER wrote:This really is getting too boring......let's get on with the future.


I think that it is this boredom that could get us to a point where we get a bad deal or no deal at all. Then getting on with the future will be very tough indeed for those not already monied.
User avatar
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 10152
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Horsley

Re: Brexit

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:55 pm

GETCARTER wrote:This really is getting too boring......let's get on with the future.


The unfortunate thing is, the future is not clear. At all.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2793
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby paulK » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:
GETCARTER wrote:This really is getting too boring......let's get on with the future.


The unfortunate thing is, the future is not clear. At all.


Of course it isn't. And is hardly likely to get any clearer whilst this drags on.

Whatever happens, when we leave it will be a starting point. Whether that is with or without a deal it doesn't really matter IMO. It's a starting point and everything will rumble on. And on. And on.

As far as I'm concerned, MP's can make up their minds what that starting point should be. The deal or no deal. Else the EU will make the decision for us and in their best interests, not ours.

TM is right to force the exit through IMO. We need to start building the future, whatever that may be - and nobody has a clue as to what that will be. That's the way things work ;)
User avatar
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Location: Sadly Broke

Re: Brexit

Postby Greeners » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:47 am

Hi
Too occasional fan wrote:The unfortunate thing is, the future is not clear. At all.


The future has NEVER been clear and it never will be. Anyone telling you different is just looking at the tea leaves or believes in astrology or the occult. All futurologists can do is give you a guesstimate.
User avatar
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby Too occasional fan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 am

Although it is fair to say that a future with an enforced and divisive change is a lot less clear than one without.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2793
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:07 am

I have been involved with a huge number of change projects over my career and almost all have led to improvements and progress. The transformation of FGR from the early 1990's to the present day is an excellent example of positive change under two leaders who had clear vision, coupled with determination & drive to build support and see their ideas through to fruition. They both succeeded, which is why our club is flourishing and has a bright future

Key to a successful change is being clear about the outcome ( having a plan ), getting the majority on board and having a leader who can see the project through. Brexit had no plan, it has less support than when the process began and the leader commands little respect. In most people's eyes it has resulted in national humiliation.

There is no disgrace in abandoning a project if it isn't working, if the outcomes are uncertain and far too much will be lost. In the last 48 hour almost 3 million have signed a petition to revoke article 50. The rate of signing has been phenomenal, the site has crashed several times. There will be half a million marching on Saturday to ask for another people's vote.

If you really believe this change is misguided, here is the link to the petition. It won't change anything but if the numbers reach 5 million it will be one of the largest petitions ever.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

3000 people in the Stroud constituency ( almost 3%) have signed!

Of course, this petition does not carry the same weight as the referendum but it is making a huge statement to our political leaders
User avatar
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9308
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am

Pitchfork wrote:I have been involved with a huge number of change projects over my career and almost all have led to improvements and progress. The transformation of FGR from the early 1990's to the present day is an excellent example of positive change under two leaders who had clear vision, coupled with determination & drive to build support and see their ideas through to fruition. They both succeeded, which is why our club is flourishing and has a bright future

Key to a successful change is being clear about the outcome ( having a plan ), getting the majority on board and having a leader who can see the project through. Brexit had no plan, it has less support than when the process began and the leader commands little respect. In most people's eyes it has resulted in national humiliation.

There is no disgrace in abandoning a project if it isn't working, if the outcomes are uncertain and far too much will be lost. In the last 48 hour almost 3 million have signed a petition to revoke article 50. The rate of signing has been phenomenal, the site has crashed several times. There will be half a million marching on Saturday to ask for another people's vote.

If you really believe this change is misguided, here is the link to the petition. It won't change anything but if the numbers reach 5 million it will be one of the largest petitions ever.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

3000 people in the Stroud constituency ( almost 3%) have signed!

Of course, this petition does not carry the same weight as the referendum but it is making a huge statement to our political leaders


Is this that petition that has been overwhelmingly signed by Russians?
Thus declaring it null and void.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3266
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: Brexit

Postby gooseman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Pitchfork the virtuous.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:06 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:I have been involved with a huge number of change projects over my career and almost all have led to improvements and progress. The transformation of FGR from the early 1990's to the present day is an excellent example of positive change under two leaders who had clear vision, coupled with determination & drive to build support and see their ideas through to fruition. They both succeeded, which is why our club is flourishing and has a bright future

Key to a successful change is being clear about the outcome ( having a plan ), getting the majority on board and having a leader who can see the project through. Brexit had no plan, it has less support than when the process began and the leader commands little respect. In most people's eyes it has resulted in national humiliation.

There is no disgrace in abandoning a project if it isn't working, if the outcomes are uncertain and far too much will be lost. In the last 48 hour almost 3 million have signed a petition to revoke article 50. The rate of signing has been phenomenal, the site has crashed several times. There will be half a million marching on Saturday to ask for another people's vote.

If you really believe this change is misguided, here is the link to the petition. It won't change anything but if the numbers reach 5 million it will be one of the largest petitions ever.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

3000 people in the Stroud constituency ( almost 3%) have signed!

Of course, this petition does not carry the same weight as the referendum but it is making a huge statement to our political leaders


Is this that petition that has been overwhelmingly signed by Russians?
Thus declaring it null and void.


Where's the evidence it has been overwhelmingly signed by Russians? Oh, it came from the mouth of Farage. Must be true then. :lol: But wouldn't it be ironic if it was? :lol: Leavers complaining about Russian interference - hasn't Farage been in the spotlight for collusion? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: People should also be asking why Farage was sniffing around the European far right in a bid to stop the extension.

Fwiw, Putin is almost certainly in favour of Brexit. It fits in with the Russian strategic aim of unsettling the EU and its NATO members.
king giraffe III
 

Re: Brexit

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:11 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
3000 people in the Stroud constituency ( almost 3%) have signed!


OTC will try and have you believe this is Stroud, Vladivostok.
king giraffe III
 

Re: Brexit

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Turns out that it is the 'Bots working overtime.
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
User avatar
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Turns out that it is the 'Bots working overtime.


Signing these petitions is a two step process. You fill in on the site (easily doable by bots) and then respond to the subsequent email to confirm your 'signature'. It's highly unlikely that even Mr Putin's St Petersburg specialists are going to be able to set up and respond from 3 million fake emails. From what I understand no more than 5% of signatures have come from outside the UK.

Anyhow, as stated above, Putin doesn't want us to remain in the EU.
king giraffe III
 

Re: Brexit

Postby michael » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm

From what I understand no more than 5% of signatures have come from outside the UK. .

-and rightly so ,and what you would expect.
those UK citizens living and working overseas could be massivlely affected .
my son being one of those working in europe who has signed the petition.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 7544
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby gooseman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:06 pm

"3000 people in the Stroud constituency ( almost 3%) have signed! "


Therefore, almost 97% have not signed.
gooseman
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby Too occasional fan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:15 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:I have been involved with a huge number of change projects over my career and almost all have led to improvements and progress. The transformation of FGR from the early 1990's to the present day is an excellent example of positive change under two leaders who had clear vision, coupled with determination & drive to build support and see their ideas through to fruition. They both succeeded, which is why our club is flourishing and has a bright future

Key to a successful change is being clear about the outcome ( having a plan ), getting the majority on board and having a leader who can see the project through. Brexit had no plan, it has less support than when the process began and the leader commands little respect. In most people's eyes it has resulted in national humiliation.

There is no disgrace in abandoning a project if it isn't working, if the outcomes are uncertain and far too much will be lost. In the last 48 hour almost 3 million have signed a petition to revoke article 50. The rate of signing has been phenomenal, the site has crashed several times. There will be half a million marching on Saturday to ask for another people's vote.

If you really believe this change is misguided, here is the link to the petition. It won't change anything but if the numbers reach 5 million it will be one of the largest petitions ever.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

3000 people in the Stroud constituency ( almost 3%) have signed!

Of course, this petition does not carry the same weight as the referendum but it is making a huge statement to our political leaders


Is this that petition that has been overwhelmingly signed by Russians?
Thus declaring it null and void.


No. It isn't, that one was in 2016.

I think that Brexiteers should be careful throwing stones when they are in the "Russia did it" greenhouse.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2793
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Brexit

Postby paulK » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Is this that petition that has been overwhelmingly signed by Russians?
Thus declaring it null and void.


No. It isn't, that one was in 2016.



I'm not sure either of the above is really true is it ;)

It is fun tho' reading all the hypotheses ;) Brings a smile :lol:
User avatar
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Location: Sadly Broke

Re: Brexit

Postby paulK » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:47 pm

Sort of off-topic but... visited the Port Vale forum to see what they were making of tomorrow.

Was surprised - tho' perhaps I shouldn't have been - that their longest, hottest thread is...... Yep, begins with a B :o
User avatar
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Location: Sadly Broke

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.