Brexit

For chat about all other topics

Re: Honda

Postby Timb » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:32 am

Probably best not to take it too lightly. No one knows how it's all going to turn out.

Whichever way you look at it the British Empire was built on trade not dogma even when dogma was the big thing. Not the kind of bull being spouted in 2019. I'm sure that LG can quote a thousand and one instances of bad behaviour and outright injustice but overall the trade and what it brought was a good thing.

Trade is what has kept the UK (us) going since the empire era. And even Margaret Thatcher realised that trade was everything hence enticing the car companies here and cosying up with Europe.

No trade then what.

So the big question for us now us exactly that. What after we leave Europe's trading block?

Greeners (and I assume Greeners junior) what is the plan?

Sell Cars to Australia ? I don't think so. Sell what to Australia or India or China, our new independent trading partners.

The only arguments that seem to be put forward whenever I speak to people about leaving the EU are either

1 take back control of our country
2 control immigration
3 the EU is going to self implode and disintegrate

What we all do for a living seems to be irrelevant.

What a mess

Next it will no doubt be all the immigrants fault.

Unless of course I'm completely wrong and what a good decision it really was. But when a bloke I play footy with who is a conservative councillor comes in and says what we need is the spirit of Churchill no one said it would be easy, I really begin to wonder what anyone in their right mind actually had in mind for the new independent state of the United Kingdom.

Nothing was actually broken.

Just out of interest how much do you think we are budgeting for cleaning up the north sea now the multi national oil companies have said they can't afford the clean up or carry the oil can. Having only been given the licences in the first place in the understanding they clean up the mess they make.

The EU Figures pale into insignificance.

I just don't get it. Mr Farage has a lot to talk about. Starting with why he's so against the EU. Corruption. Misinformation. Bribery. They're all rife aren't they including the messages put out as to why we should leave and to whose benefit that would be, and to what cost?

And where does that leave Johnny football supporter ? Well the whatsit football lads federation etc etc.

Who says it's all not manipulated?
User avatar
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 6472
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: SW18

Re: Honda

Postby paulK » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:35 am

TreeHugger wrote:
The Game Within wrote:I think the reduction in No's in the C&E and B&W is down to Brexit.


And the state of the pitch. That’s down to Brexit.



WHAT :o It wasn't anythingto do with Trump :roll:
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
User avatar
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Location: Sadly Broke

Re: Honda

Postby TreeHugger » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 am

paulK wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:
The Game Within wrote:I think the reduction in No's in the C&E and B&W is down to Brexit.


And the state of the pitch. That’s down to Brexit.



WHAT :o It wasn't anythingto do with Trump :roll:


Well part of the pitch could do with a comb over, so maybe.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Honda

Postby Too occasional fan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:28 am

Timb wrote:I just don't get it. Mr Farage has a lot to talk about. Starting with why he's so against the EU. Corruption. Misinformation. Bribery. They're all rife aren't they including the messages put out as to why we should leave and to whose benefit that would be, and to what cost?


I assume that is the same Mr Farage that got fined for corruption?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... blic-funds
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Honda

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Timb wrote:Probably best not to take it too lightly. No one knows how it's all going to turn out.

Whichever way you look at it the British Empire was built on trade not dogma even when dogma was the big thing. Not the kind of bull being spouted in 2019. I'm sure that LG can quote a thousand and one instances of bad behaviour and outright injustice but overall the trade and what it brought was a good thing.

Trade is what has kept the UK (us) going since the empire era. And even Margaret Thatcher realised that trade was everything hence enticing the car companies here and cosying up with Europe.

No trade then what.

So the big question for us now us exactly that. What after we leave Europe's trading block?

Greeners (and I assume Greeners junior) what is the plan?

Sell Cars to Australia ? I don't think so. Sell what to Australia or India or China, our new independent trading partners.

The only arguments that seem to be put forward whenever I speak to people about leaving the EU are either

1 take back control of our country
2 control immigration
3 the EU is going to self implode and disintegrate

What we all do for a living seems to be irrelevant.

What a mess

Next it will no doubt be all the immigrants fault.

Unless of course I'm completely wrong and what a good decision it really was. But when a bloke I play footy with who is a conservative councillor comes in and says what we need is the spirit of Churchill no one said it would be easy, I really begin to wonder what anyone in their right mind actually had in mind for the new independent state of the United Kingdom.

Nothing was actually broken.

Just out of interest how much do you think we are budgeting for cleaning up the north sea now the multi national oil companies have said they can't afford the clean up or carry the oil can. Having only been given the licences in the first place in the understanding they clean up the mess they make.

The EU Figures pale into insignificance.

I just don't get it. Mr Farage has a lot to talk about. Starting with why he's so against the EU. Corruption. Misinformation. Bribery. They're all rife aren't they including the messages put out as to why we should leave and to whose benefit that would be, and to what cost?

And where does that leave Johnny football supporter ? Well the whatsit football lads federation etc etc.

Who says it's all not manipulated?


Tim, you're correct that Britain's place in the world was built upon trade, albeit combined with some rather unsavoury methods of getting domestic hands on natural resources.

Sadly, the Leave campaign, backed by the far right was always going to have an advantage given that it could play on the fear of Johnny Foreigner destroying English culture (the revealing factor here being that the 'cultural marxism' I hear mentioned is a simple racist trope). On an island where numerous elderly people still dislike Germans and Japanese people it was going to be an open goal, particularly with the racist press on board.

I've been stunned by the number of Leave voters who think that Breggzit is going to bring a halt to the migration of any Roma, Jewish people or Muslims into the UK. Sadly, anyone within these groups will become bigger targets once it is harder for East Europeans to live and work here. Fascists move from one target group to the next and when UKIP are employing Robinson as an advisor (let's be real, does he know which Islamic denominations are Islamist - IE in support of Sharia Law at all levels of society?) things are only going to get worse.

Brexit is depressing and I do think it's going to happen. I favour any financial shortfall be made up from the pockets of Leave voters. Lol!
king giraffe III
 

Re: Honda

Postby king giraffe III » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Molly68008 wrote:Perhaps it's getting to point of deciding which countries dystopia you want to live through.


Fair point.

Brexit.
Loony Trump, Alex Jones etc in USA.
Anti-Islam legislation in France and other countries that have banned the burqa.
Craziness in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
El-Sisi and human rights abuses in Egypt.
Australia's scandalous immigration laws.

If only Ireland wasn't so expensive.
king giraffe III
 

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:58 am

Pitchfork wrote:
Molly68008 wrote:I would call anyone from Nailsworth or anywhere else in the United Kingdom lucky! You get to live in the greatest country in the world!!!


Most Nailsworth residents do consider themselves 'lucky' Molly! Nailsworth has a lot to offer and it is a popular place to live.

Whether by accident of birth or choice, people are fortunate to live in the UK and most Brits have a sense of pride in their country. However many do lack a sense of humility and our politicians in particular are slow to recognise how many countries do things better than us and learn from them. Our problems over Brexit are also reducing respect for our country and most of us are weary of all the talk, whether we are 'remainers' or keen to leave Europe.

It's also interesting to note more Brits live abroad ( almost 5 million) than any other European country! They also have the strange habit of calling themselves 'ex-pats' rather than immigrants.



Part of Pichfork's post has veered into a political reply of which many, if not most, Brits would fundamentally disagree.
But this is a football [FGR] forum so I'll not fan the flames of a political debate, especially at a sensitive period of time in Brexit.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:50 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Pitchfork wrote:
Molly68008 wrote:I would call anyone from Nailsworth or anywhere else in the United Kingdom lucky! You get to live in the greatest country in the world!!!


Most Nailsworth residents do consider themselves 'lucky' Molly! Nailsworth has a lot to offer and it is a popular place to live.

Whether by accident of birth or choice, people are fortunate to live in the UK and most Brits have a sense of pride in their country. However many do lack a sense of humility and our politicians in particular are slow to recognise how many countries do things better than us and learn from them. Our problems over Brexit are also reducing respect for our country and most of us are weary of all the talk, whether we are 'remainers' or keen to leave Europe.

It's also interesting to note more Brits live abroad ( almost 5 million) than any other European country! They also have the strange habit of calling themselves 'ex-pats' rather than immigrants.



Part of Pichfork's post has veered into a political reply of which many, if not most, Brits would fundamentally disagree.
But this is a football [FGR] forum so I'll not fan the flames of a political debate, especially at a sensitive period of time in Brexit.

Sorry, but you can’t moan about a political reply and then put rubbish like that in it.

PS you still haven’t told us what newspaper you read.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:29 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Part of Pichfork's post has veered into a political reply of which many, if not most, Brits would fundamentally disagree.
But this is a football [FGR] forum so I'll not fan the flames of a political debate, especially at a sensitive period of time in Brexit.


Whether you like it or not OTC, politics often appears in the FGR forums...usually under 'General Chat', its rightful place. HONDA was a recent thread which stimulated considerable debate unrelated to football.

I agree that many (though not most) would disagree with the part of my post highlighted in blue. I do have strong opinions, but am always willing to listen to others and read their views. Debate is healthy, but surely even you would like to see the Brexit saga brought to some kind of conclusion?

I'm ready for a challenge Tom, which part of what I said would most UK residents disagree? I appreciate that most Brits settled abroad would not like to be called 'immigrants' as I have asked them! :D. The funniest response I ever had was when a Brit in Africa told me he moved abroad because he didn't like all the immigrants in the UK, his country 'should have stopped them settling'.
User avatar
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9395
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby paulK » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:31 pm

My thoughts on Brexit?

Quite frankly did anyone ever expect anything other than a mess? Politicians can't agree on anything at the best of times. Theresa May is the proud owner of a poison chalice.

The result of the referendum was out, so let's just get out. Whatever exit strategy happens it is going to be the cause of all our woes for the foreseeable future, justified or not. In any case, future is never easy to predict so do whatever can be done by March 29th and move on to a different set of arguments. I'm sure we'll cope, somehow.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
User avatar
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Location: Sadly Broke

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Theresa May - grabbed the poison chalice with both hands...

Matthew Parris, like him or loather him, has this to say about her in The Times on Saturday:

Time and again I’ve protested that she may not be the answer but she didn’t create this mess: she’s just an unimaginative, unremarkable, perhaps wooden but dogged politician, overly cautious and rather shy. Time and again my informants — MPs, former MPs, civil servants, special advisers — tell me, eyes flashing, that I’ve got it wrong and the public have it wrong, and she’s so much worse than that. She’s not normal. She’s extraordinary. Extraordinarily uncommunicative; extraordinarily rude in the way she blanks people, ideas and arguments. To my surprise there is no difference between the pictures of her that Remainers and Brexiteers paint.

Theresa May, they tell me (in a couple of cases actually shouting) is the Death Star of modern British politics. She’s the theory of anti-matter, made flesh. She’s a political black hole because nothing, not even light, can escape. Ideas, beliefs, suggestions, objections, inquiries, proposals, projects, loyalties, affections, trust, whole careers, real men and women, are sucked into the awful void that is Downing Street — and nothing ever comes out: no answers, only a blank so blank that it screams. Reputations (they lament) are staked on her, and lost. Warnings are delivered to her, and ignored. Plans are run by her, unacknowledged. Messages are sent to her, unanswered. She has become the unperson of Downing Street: the living embodiment of the closed door.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby paulK » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:Theresa May - grabbed the poison chalice with both hands...


Well somebody had to :roll: :roll:

Too occasional fan wrote:Matthew Parris, like him or loather him, has this to say about her in The Times on Saturday:

Time and again I’ve protested that she may not be the answer but she didn’t create this mess: she’s just an unimaginative, unremarkable, perhaps wooden but dogged politician, overly cautious and rather shy. Time and again my informants — MPs, former MPs, civil servants, special advisers — tell me, eyes flashing, that I’ve got it wrong and the public have it wrong, and she’s so much worse than that. She’s not normal. She’s extraordinary. Extraordinarily uncommunicative; extraordinarily rude in the way she blanks people, ideas and arguments. To my surprise there is no difference between the pictures of her that Remainers and Brexiteers paint.

Theresa May, they tell me (in a couple of cases actually shouting) is the Death Star of modern British politics. She’s the theory of anti-matter, made flesh. She’s a political black hole because nothing, not even light, can escape. Ideas, beliefs, suggestions, objections, inquiries, proposals, projects, loyalties, affections, trust, whole careers, real men and women, are sucked into the awful void that is Downing Street — and nothing ever comes out: no answers, only a blank so blank that it screams. Reputations (they lament) are staked on her, and lost. Warnings are delivered to her, and ignored. Plans are run by her, unacknowledged. Messages are sent to her, unanswered. She has become the unperson of Downing Street: the living embodiment of the closed door.


Everybody to their own opinion. Although this seems not to be his but his "informants", who are helping to create the mess and wouldn't be expected to say anything else because they don't agree with her :roll: :roll:

Are you actually taken in by this c**p ;) About as newsworthy as some recent SNJ clickbait posted here recently :o The guy seems to have had some compulsive-obsessive disorder over the past few months, hell-bent on character assassination. :roll:

I remember in my student days, demonstrating against a certain MT who challenged the Students Union power at the time and snatched children's milk. Years later I had to admire her. I admire TM too for what she's taken on here.
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
User avatar
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Location: Sadly Broke

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby paulK » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:08 pm

I'm not sure whether I should be posting this Gerald Scarfe, but I think this just about sums up TM's challenge with getting a Brexit deal sorted.

Image

Brilliantly insightful :lol: :lol: :lol:
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
User avatar
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Location: Sadly Broke

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:42 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:PS you still haven’t told us what newspaper you read.


Until very recently I was a researcher who daily read 8 newspapers which veered from the left wing Guardian to the right wing Telegraph.
So therefore I can strongly claim that the BBC is biased towards to UK remaining in the EU because I've read alternate reports on subject.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm

Pitchfork wrote:I'm ready for a challenge Tom, which part of what I said would most UK residents disagree? I appreciate that most Brits settled abroad would not like to be called 'immigrants' as I have asked them! :D. The funniest response I ever had was when a Brit in Africa told me he moved abroad because he didn't like all the immigrants in the UK, his country 'should have stopped them settling'.


Phil,
You are being selective in your response.
First paragraph in blue is where you are out of kilter with the general British public.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby Pitchfork » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:00 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Phil,
You are being selective in your response.
First paragraph in blue is where you are out of kilter with the general British public.


I stick by what I said in that first paragraph

. We need to research and learn from what other countries do better than us
. We have lost respect in the world because of the Brexit saga

. Most people just want politicians to achieve some kind of consensus, they are fed up of Brexit talk

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:Hi Phil, I wouldn't call the BBC advert free these days. They spend many minutes between programmes now promoting the shows on their sub channels and even 'What's on" their radio channels. :shock:

Re the ex-Pat leaving the UK because of 'immigration':

I had no qualms with the term immigrant when I emigrated to the US for a term, in fact my green card showed my classification as ... ALIEN! :lol:

Discussion deviation all in the usual 'best Paahsible taste', of course ... ;)


I agree F.A., the BBC does go in for self promotion and selling their programmes all over the world. Don't see any harm in that.

The term ALIEN for those entering the US has always amused me, though that is how a few Americans do regard foreigners...especially those arriving from south of their border!

Best Sci Fi film ever though!
User avatar
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 9395
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:38 pm

Pitchfork wrote:I stick by what I said in that first paragraph
. We need to research and learn from what other countries do better than us
. We have lost respect in the world because of the Brexit saga
. Most people just want politicians to achieve some kind of consensus, they are fed up of Brexit talk


# All countries research and learn from each other. UK is not different.
# Only a Remoaner would say that UK has lost respect because of Brexit. On the contrary there are many people within the EU who would want to also exit the EU.
# Here I partly agree with you. The British public voted OUT and not halfway out with strings attached. The politicians should refer to the Referendum and vote OUT. This is what the public want.
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:05 pm

The Old TomCat wrote: This is what the public want.


It is what some of the public* wanted two and a half years ago. Whether it is what is wanted now is a moot point.

Using the term Remoaner really demeans you, OTC.

*27% of them.
The gimlet of the forum.
User avatar
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote: This is what the public want.


It is what some of the public* wanted two and a half years ago. Whether it is what is wanted now is a moot point.

Using the term Remoaner really demeans you, OTC.

*27% of them.


Leave: 17,410,742 (51.9%)
User avatar
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 3531
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Stroud

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby andymac26 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:28 pm

At least the rich will be ok. They can afford recessions.
User avatar
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 pm
Location: Hampshire.

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bristol_Green and 2 guests

About FGR

We’re a club that looks to the future, but our identity is forged from a rich 128-year history. Founded in 1889, we’re one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

In 2017, we were promoted to the Football League for the first time in our history – which means we can spread our sustainability message to an even bigger audience. FIFA recently described us as the greenest football club in the world. That’s quite an accolade, and it shows how we’ve been able to bring together football and environmental consciousness at the highest levels of the game.