Brexit

For chat about all other topics

Re: Brexit

Postby dursleydog » Fri May 24, 2019 6:29 pm

paulK wrote:
dursleydog wrote:Turnout looked to be appallingly low from what I've seen, so the Brexit Party will mop up.

Single issue election, single issue party. Only the angriest europhobic voters will turn up and vote for the party that offers nothing but more anger. Your average voter is just fed up of the whole thing.

What I don't get is that whilst remainers will cause so much vocal opposition to Brexit, when it comes to voting in those they think will best represent us in the EU they can't be bothered :?

Or is it just that they can't see beyond the end of their noses :roll:

See the edit to my previous post.
Not all data in yet, and remains to be seen if it's carried through in the results which aren't released til Sunday, but the turnout is actually up in more remain supporting areas and falling in Leave supporting areas.

https://twitter.com/JonRIGillespie/stat ... 0116179969

Still expect Brexit Party to win, but might not be the landslide they were hoping for
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Fri May 24, 2019 7:35 pm

The Game Within wrote:Treehugger sounds a lot like football supporters.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Touché TGW, touché...
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby NewForestRover » Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 pm

So who did you all vote for?

Or am I not allowed to ask that?

Despite everyone giving their opinions/advice on what we should've done.......

A lot of us didn't really know what we were voting for in the first place!
:?
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Sat May 25, 2019 8:33 am

Largely, if you were for Brexit, the slick milkshake covered millionaire, Farage.
If you were for Remain, the LDs or Greens.

If you voted Tory or Labour you are probably as confused as they are!
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sat May 25, 2019 11:37 am

dursleydog wrote:Not all data in yet, and remains to be seen if it's carried through in the results which aren't released til Sunday, but the turnout is actually up in more remain supporting areas and falling in Leave supporting areas.

https://twitter.com/JonRIGillespie/stat ... 0116179969

Still expect Brexit Party to win, but might not be the landslide they were hoping for

Alternatively it could be that Brexiteers have come out in force in Remain areas.
Until PM Sunday we don't know.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Sat May 25, 2019 12:12 pm

So Boris Johnson favourite to become PM, unlike May no one can accuse him of lacking charisma. Be interesting to see how he handles the situation, expecting a somewhat different approach. Less attempts at diplomacy, more decisive action, for better or worse, I'd imagine. He would certainly be more then prepared to ruffle a few feathers at the EU.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Sat May 25, 2019 4:56 pm

NewForestRover wrote:So who did you all vote for?

I personally went for the Lib Dems, as they were the smart tactical vote in the south west and I believe a 2nd referendum is the only realistic way out of this mess, whatever answer it gives. I wanted to vote Labour, but they're a state at the moment.
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Sat May 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Kentstripe wrote:So Boris Johnson favourite to become PM, unlike May no one can accuse him of lacking charisma. Be interesting to see how he handles the situation, expecting a somewhat different approach. Less attempts at diplomacy, more decisive action, for better or worse, I'd imagine. He would certainly be more then prepared to ruffle a few feathers at the EU.

The EU won't budge an inch. They'll see through Johnson's bravado and bluff instantly, a classic case of over-education and under-intelligence. Once you take that bluster away, he's got nothing else to give. His record in every role he's ever been in has been at best questionable, and at worst catastrophic, I see no reason why that will change in the most difficult job of all.
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Sat May 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:Largely, if you were for Brexit, the slick milkshake covered millionaire, Farage.
If you were for Remain, the LDs or Greens.

If you voted Tory or Labour you are probably as confused as they are!

I did understand that much at least! I usually vote Labour but didn't this time. As for the Tory's, I've never, ever voted for them and never, ever will.

dursleydog wrote:
NewForestRover wrote:So who did you all vote for?

I personally went for the Lib Dems, as they were the smart tactical vote in the south west and I believe a 2nd referendum is the only realistic way out of this mess, whatever answer it gives. I wanted to vote Labour, but they're a state at the moment.

I thought about voting Lib Dems for the same reason (tactical voting) but never been a fan of theirs so decided to be Green instead.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Sat May 25, 2019 9:50 pm

How could I not vote for Ann Widdecombe ;)
My mileage; yours may vary, of course.....
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun May 26, 2019 11:25 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:I wonder what will happen to UKIP.

Washed up has-been's who will consigned to history.
But they were instrumental in getting the Brexit debate into the open.

I expect a debate to be intelligent, generaly this has been ill informed argument at best. The only saving grace for me is that the a lot of people who have voted brexit used it as a vote for change a change to politics. I hope we move forwards to a proportaional system of voting in this country, so that we are ALL better represented.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 am

Hi
Well the system they have given us for those EU votes isn't what I call proportional.
I'm in an 8 member constituency with 10 parties/groups standing and each group sets its own order of preference but I had only 1 vote.
I wanted to give my own proportional voting.
For instance, I might have preferred
Group A Candidates 1 & 4
Group C Candidate 2
Group D Candidates 3,4 & 5
Group F Candidates 2 & 6
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tomiswalking » Sun May 26, 2019 11:55 am

Greeners wrote:Hi
Well the system they have given us for those EU votes isn't what I call proportional.
I'm in an 8 member constituency with 10 parties/groups standing and each group sets its own order of preference but I had only 1 vote.
I wanted to give my own proportional voting.
For instance, I might have preferred
Group A Candidates 1 & 4
Group C Candidate 2
Group D Candidates 3,4 & 5
Group F Candidates 2 & 6

Sorry greeners, I wasnt trying to draw similarity between the type of representation offered in the EU election. What I meant was that the Brexit vote for many was a vote for change and hope that this shakes up our national parlimentry system too.
Tomiswalking
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Sun May 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Certainly it has been dressed up as a vote for change, but no one I've spoken to or read comments from has actually said that.

A vote for change in a General Election, to consign the major parties to a period in the wilderness might have been more sensible.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Sun May 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Brexit as a vote for political change is a very valid viewpoint, but unfortunately I don’t think it’ll change things for the better.
The anger and discontentment at the political classes is justified, but the problem has been misdiagnosed in my opinion, Brexit will only worsen our societal divides and hand power to the worst of our elitist career politicians who preside over this mess. Will Farage, Boris Johnson, or Rees-Mogg really make things better? Improve social equality? Modernise our parliamentary system? Provide realistic solutions to modern issues such as the climate crisis?

Not a chance. These privately educated dinosaurs will only harness the people’s justified anger to drag us backwards and the only beneficiaries will be themselves and people like them.

We need changes like Proportional Representation, reduction in the power of the unelected House of Lords, a shakeup of our stagnant two party system. Brexit will not solve these issues, it has merely hijacked the righteous anger for its own purpose
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm

God help us all if Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are in charge of countries either side of the pond !. I despair at it all - bit like inmates in charge of the asylem.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Sun May 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Rather be the 51st state of the USA than that unaudited, corrupt EU bunch of bandits in charge, G/C. ;)

Hello, TOTC?
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun May 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Be careful what you wish for.

During the "Arab spring" the people of Libya and Syria wanted change. What they ended up with was war-torn instability.

The USA wanted change, and got Donald Trump.

Change does not necessarily mean that things improve, in fact they can get a whole lot worse. Leaving the EU would certainly be change. Would any of us be better off????
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Sun May 26, 2019 7:30 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:
Hello, TOTC?

#1 I'm waiting until after EU Election results have been announced to comment on Brexit.
#2 I'll wait until next Conservative leader has been chosen to offer an opinion on whoever becomes our PM.

But believe me I do have strong opinions but this being a football forum of FGR supporters I don't want to create any unrest with the guys I sit near to at games.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Sun May 26, 2019 7:37 pm

I voted for English Democrats down in Cornwall. None of the mainstream parties represent me in fact I'm done with all mainstream politics. I usually spoil my ballot paper but this party says they're putting England first so I thought I'd give them my vote.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat