Brexit

For chat about all other topics

Re: What I'm watching on tv today.

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:58 pm

andymac26 wrote:At least the rich will be ok. They can afford recessions.

Scaremongering
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Too occasional fan wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote: This is what the public want.

It is what some of the public* wanted two and a half years ago. Whether it is what is wanted now is a moot point.

Using the term Remoaner really demeans you, OTC.

*27% of them.

Leave: 17,410,742 (51.9%)

Not sure I can get either of the percentages to stack up. How many eligible to vote. 45/46m?

But then when did anything ever get voted in by the majority of the British public?

Oh and don't forget the 5m+ eligible but not registered to vote.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:49 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote: This is what the public want.

It is what some of the public* wanted two and a half years ago. Whether it is what is wanted now is a moot point.

Using the term Remoaner really demeans you, OTC.

*27% of them.

Leave: 17,410,742 (51.9%)

For goodness sake, pay attention to what you write in your posts, or risk looking like a complete and utter idiot.

To remind you, you said “This is what the public want”. It is quoted above.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Brexit

Postby Referee » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 pm

We have had complaints about the number of threads which have been hijacked by people desperate to discuss Brexit. This thread has been created purely for their benefit. Any posts on other threads which are about Brexit and are irrelevant to the thread subject will be moved here.
Referee

Postby paulK » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:29 pm

For goodness sake, pay attention to what you write in your posts, or risk looking like a complete and utter idiot.

Like I said, I can't get either of your percentages to add up but as a far as what the public want I guess it's a moot point when you consider do they really understand the implications of what they are voting about? Ever? IMO it's always a case of make a decision and then see how it turns out.

Bit pedantic mis-representing OTC IMO. I'm sure you know what he meant ;)
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Brexit

Postby paulK » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Hmmm.... I guess 1 is a number :roll:

But maybe this is the best sign yet that people are fed up with the discussion and just wish our MP's would get on with it ;)
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:55 pm

paulK wrote:Hmmm.... I guess 1 is a number :roll:

But maybe this is the best sign yet that people are fed up with the discussion and just wish our MP's would get on with it ;)

Totally agree
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Pitchfork wrote:
paulK wrote:Hmmm.... I guess 1 is a number :roll:

Totally agree

Yeah, completely cheesed off. Call me Dave's mantra was ... 'No ifs or buts, IN or OUT!' And then, and then, something called 'Article 50' popped out and screwed the whole exercise into 33 months of prevarication and squabbling among the so called elite of Government and even the poor punters. :(
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:00 pm

What on earth are you on about?
My posts are consistent.
The Referendum that was open to all voting Brits decided that UK leave the EU, which is what I said.
If you think I be a complete and utter idiot for stating the obvious, so be it. I care not.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:22 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:

Scaremongering

Doubt it Tom.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:40 pm

andymac26 wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:

Scaremongering

Doubt it Tom.

We'll have to agree to disagree :)
Only a period of time after departure from EU will be the real test.
And of course all the doom-mongers have been wrong in forecasting immediate catastrophe since Referendum result was announced.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 pm

OTC, are you going to answer the questions I set you earlier or are you just going to bury your head in the sand?
king giraffe III

Postby Too occasional fan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:29 am

The Old TomCat wrote:

What on earth are you on about?
My posts are consistent.
The Referendum that was open to all voting Brits decided that UK leave the EU, which is what I said.
If you think I be a complete and utter idiot for stating the obvious, so be it. I care not.

You think 51.8% of the public voted for Brexit.

Yes/No
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:29 am

paulK wrote:

Like I said, I can't get either of your percentages to add up but as a far as what the public want I guess it's a moot point when you consider do they really understand the implications of what they are voting about? Ever? IMO it's always a case of make a decision and then see how it turns out.

Bit pedantic mis-representing OTC IMO. I'm sure you know what he meant ;)

Best stay away from this for now, I think...
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:33 am

The most surprising aspect for me at this stage of the process is when I read/hear folks saying that ‘we should just get on with it now that the decision has been made’.

In almost every other aspect of life, if you get to the point where you think a mistake has been made, you stop and reassess. Even if after reassessing you decide to carry on as before. There seems to be a popular opinion suggesting that people voted with bad information or a lack of information, and therefore such a mistake may have been made. The only way to test that is to have a second vote, to try and mitigate for the fact that we shouldn’t have had one in the first place.

Much as people might have a distrust of politicians, we’re very lucky to live in a democracy and we should have allowed the government to make the decisions on the EU. If we don’t like those decisions then we make that clear in the next general election. I trust them more than I trust the public. At least they’re privy to some of the detail.

It’s almost as blind as religion. Now there’s a topic we can get stuck into on here.
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:36 am

I’m happy to pin my colours to the mast and make it clear that I’m a ‘remoaner’ (in case you couldn’t tell). No one has yet given me a good reason to leave the EU. Every single reason I’ve heard up to now is more flawed than the current arrangement itself.
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Personally I think now that people have a far clearer picture of what they're voting for, it should be put to the public again with 3 options. Deal, no deal or remain. Remain would need more then 50% of the overall vote to win. If the two leave options combined come to an overall majority then the one with the most votes from the two wins.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:38 pm

TreeHugger wrote:In almost every other aspect of life, if you get to the point where you think a mistake has been made, you stop and reassess. Even if after reassessing you decide to carry on as before. There seems to be a popular opinion suggesting that people voted with bad information or a lack of information, and therefore such a mistake may have been made. The only way to test that is to have a second vote, to try and mitigate for the fact that we shouldn’t have had one in the first place.

Personally, I don't think the public would be even more confused in respect of opinion the second time around. Too much information rather than a lack; good or bad will be in the eye of the beholder.

TreeHugger wrote:Much as people might have a distrust of politicians, we’re very lucky to live in a democracy and we should have allowed the government to make the decisions on the EU. If we don’t like those decisions then we make that clear in the next general election. I trust them more than I trust the public. At least they’re privy to some of the detail.

Concur absolutely.

TreeHugger wrote:I’m happy to pin my colours to the mast and make it clear that I’m a ‘remoaner’ (in case you couldn’t tell). No one has yet given me a good reason to leave the EU. Every single reason I’ve heard up to now is more flawed than the current arrangement itself.

I'm a remoaner too, but at this point my plea is that our Parliament JFDI.

As for reasons, good, bad or otherwise, as per above, That will be in the eye of the beholder. Should there be another referendum I am just as likely to vote OUT if only because I am not likely to be any better informed than last time and that's what the outcome was.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Kentstripe wrote:Personally I think now that people have a far clearer picture of what they're voting for, it should be put to the public again with 3 options. Deal, no deal or remain. Remain would need more then 50% of the overall vote to win. If the two leave options combined come to an overall majority then the one with the most votes from the two wins.

UK has already voted out so if another Referendum [extremely unlikely] the two options can only be:

# Clean break from EU
or
# Leave EU under 'backstop' arrangements.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Parliament will vote for Teresa May's proposal of leaving EU with a backstop because the hard Brexiteers fear any delay could scupper the Referendum result.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:01 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that Parliament will vote for Teresa May's proposal of leaving EU with a backstop because the hard Brexiteers fear any delay could scupper the Referendum result.

I agree this is the most likely scenarIo:
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat