Brexit

For chat about all other topics

Re: Brexit

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:
Pro brexiteers seem to be very quiet these days.

True and that's because the country now has a government who is totally prepared to act upon the peoples wishes and get us out of the EU.

Would you like a little bet that we are still in the EU on November 1st? £5?
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:
Would you like a little bet that we are still in the EU on November 1st? £5?

No because that would be foolish.
UK will leave the EU, probably on Oct 31, but there are still obstacles to negotiate which might derail that timetable.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:35 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:

True and that's because the country now has a government who is totally prepared to act upon the peoples wishes and get us out of the EU.

Do you know that the wishes of the people is to leave with No Deal rather than the previously agreed deal, or any other speculated deals?

Best way to know the wishes of the people is a another referendum on whether people still want Brexit, and if so, which sort.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Silver Surfer wrote:

A government led by a racist. Shame to see some people willing to accept or even endorse this.

Not in my name thank you.
Trolling the trolls since the internet began...
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:07 pm

TreeHugger wrote:
A government led by a racist. Shame to see some people willing to accept or even endorse this.

Understandable that people have stopped posting on this thread when scurrilous untruths such as yours are posted.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:
Do you know that the wishes of the people is to leave with No Deal rather than the previously agreed deal, or any other speculated deals?

Best way to know the wishes of the people is a another referendum on whether people still want Brexit, and if so, which sort.

EE,
You've come lately into debate. This question you ask has been covered to death on this thread.
Best check it out otherwise the conversation becomes repetitious.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:22 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:

EE,
You've come lately into debate. This question you ask has been covered to death on this thread.
Best check it out otherwise the conversation becomes repetitious.

Strange that the pro-brexiteers are afraid of a second referendum. I wonder why.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:29 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:

Understandable that people have stopped posting on this thread when scurrilous untruths such as yours are posted.

Untruths? Boris Johnson’s racist views are fairly well documented. I suggest you widen your news sources away from the right wing media OTC. Just because you may find something uncomfortable, doesn’t mean it’s not accurate.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Business Insider have provided a useful précis OTC, although I do accept that it doesn’t limit its content to BJ’s racism but also includes his homophobia and sexism. I’m sure you’ll find those equally as acceptable though:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.busi ... ies-2019-6
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 pm

Thank goodness that UK will soon be leaving the EU and bringing to an end all conversations on Brexit, which is creating disharmony amongst those from every party, class and creed.
Despite what some might say to the opposite but Boris will be deemed the best PM of the 21st century when he leads UK out of the EU. He will probably win two general elections on the back of that action.
And before anyone asks, I'm not a member of any political party although I recently attended a Labour Party workshop. And I don't read the Daily Mail - it is too expensive for me and nobody leaves it lying about in pubs or cafes to read.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:19 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Despite what some might say to the opposite but Boris will be deemed the best PM of the 21st century when he leads UK out of the EU.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh wait... you’re not actually joking? Have you been drinking?!

At least we’re clear that you’re not denying or condemning the whole racist/sexist/homophobic thing, but rather you embrace, endorse and support it.

Stay classy OTC.
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:10 am

TreeHugger wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:Despite what some might say to the opposite but Boris will be deemed the best PM of the 21st century when he leads UK out of the EU.

At least we’re clear that you’re not denying or condemning the whole racist/sexist/homophobic thing, but rather you embrace, endorse and support it.

Stay classy OTC.

I see it as it is.
Your are obviously in denial.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:52 am

The Old TomCat wrote:
TreeHugger wrote:

Stay classy OTC.

I see it as it is.
Your are obviously in denial.

I have to say OTC hanging your hat on the “Boris isn’t racist” hook to avoid answering a question about a 2nd referendum is a better summary of how desperate the brexiteer position is nowadays than I could ever manage
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 am

dursleydog wrote:
I have to say OTC hanging your hat on the “Boris isn’t racist” hook to avoid answering a question about a 2nd referendum is a better summary of how desperate the brexiteer position is nowadays than I could ever manage

[1] Check out Boris's front bench team and you'll see he has the most ethnically diverse team in history.
Actions speak louder than words.
[2] The country has already had an EU referendum and voted OUT.
[3] On the contrary it is the Remainers who are desperate. They are considering going to court to try and over-rule the democratic decision that UK leave the EU on Oct 31.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
dursleydog wrote:

[1] Check out Boris's front bench team and you'll see he has the most ethnically diverse team in history.
Actions speak louder than words.
[2] The country has already had an EU referendum and voted OUT.
[3] On the contrary it is the Remainers who are desperate. They are considering going to court to try and over-rule the democratic decision that UK leave the EU on Oct 31.

The court action would be to rule out leaving without a deal. No deal a) was ruled out by the manifestos of the two largest parties who 80% of the electorate voted for in 2017, b) will be stopped by Parliament, acting with full sovereignty and c) has zero mandate as no one voted for it in 2016 as it was not on the ballot paper.

Put No Deal on ballot paper and then you will have your democratic argument.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:23 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:Put No Deal on ballot paper and then you will have your democratic argument.

Why?
No need. All this was discussed/considered during the Referendum in 2016.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Fartvs Antiqvvs » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Yes, IN/OUT, 'No ifs, no buts' and no other caveats! ;)
Quo tendimus?

Nos venit!
Fartvs Antiqvvs
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:54 pm

Re: OTC's comment about the new front bench, the best view I came across recently was along the lines of; 'with priti patel, gavin williamson and grant schapps back, the new government has the feel of a heist film where they bust all the old lags out of prison for one last job.'

Someone, anyone, save us before it's too late....
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:58 pm

andymac26 wrote:Re: OTC's comment about the new front bench, the best view I came across recently was along the lines of; 'with priti patel, gavin williamson and grant schapps back, the new government has the feel of a heist film where they bust all the old lags out of prison for one last job.'

Someone, anyone, save us before it's too late....

:lol:
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:26 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Eco-Exile wrote:Put No Deal on ballot paper and then you will have your democratic argument.

Why?
No need. All this was discussed/considered during the Referendum in 2016.

Yet again, not really true is it?

No deal was never discussed as an option pre-referendum. Every major brexiteer politician advocated some sort of deal.

“We’re very well placed, and mutual self-interest suggests we’d cut a very good deal and it’s certainly not in the European’s interests to erect trade barriers.” Dominic Raab, 2 weeks before the vote.

“Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard … to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed.” Boris Johnson, speaking to the Treasury Sect Commitee 2016

“I put it to you, all those who say that there would be barriers to trade with Europe if we were to do a Brexit, do you seriously believe that they would put up tariffs against UK produce of any kind, when they know how much they want to sell us their cake, their champagne, their cheese from France? It is totally and utterly absurd.” Boris again, speaking at a Vote Leave event in March 2016.

“EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU. British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down,” he said. “The only change – and it will not come in any great rush – is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU’s extraordinary and opaque system of legislation.” Boris in the Telegraph 3 days after the vote.

“Outside the EU, we would still benefit from the free trade zone which stretches from Iceland to the Russian border,” Michael Gove

“The OECD states that: ‘trade with the EU and other countries would initially revert to a WTO MFN-basis’. This is a highly flawed assumption that not even the IN campaign seriously contemplates as a realistic possibility. Leading pro-EU campaigners have admitted the UK will strike a free trade agreement if we vote Leave.” Official press release from the Vote Leave campaign condemning press coverage of the possibility of a no deal in early 2016

“The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.” Liam Fox

I know reality is a pretty inconvenient problem for some Leave supporters, so you’ll probably just ignore this and spout “Leave means Leave” or some other rubbish. But it’s pretty unequivocal that no deal wasn’t on the table when options for what Leave meant on that ballot paper were being discussed.
So if you voted for no deal, you’re either a psychic or weren’t paying the blindest bit of notice to what you were voting for.
dursleydog
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat