Brexit

For chat about all other topics

Re: Brexit

Postby dursleydog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Too occasional fan wrote:https://twitter.com/OGMurphy1/status/1171360184817639430

"A source inside Number 10 tells me the PM & Gove have said if Yellowhammer documents are released into is the public domain “Brexit is over” in cabinet meeting."

Not that surprised. Let’s face it if the reports actually backed up their claims about a no deal brexit they’d be shouting it from the rooftop of no.10.
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 pm

dursleydog wrote:
Too occasional fan wrote:https://twitter.com/OGMurphy1/status/1171360184817639430

"A source inside Number 10 tells me the PM & Gove have said if Yellowhammer documents are released into is the public domain “Brexit is over” in cabinet meeting."

Not that surprised. Let’s face it if the reports actually backed up their claims about a no deal brexit they’d be shouting it from the rooftop of no.10.

Must be right if reported on Twitter! :)
But all the same I'll wait until I read official announcement.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:27 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
dursleydog wrote:

Must be right if reported on Twitter! :)
But all the same I'll wait until I read official announcement.

The whole twitter thing doesn’t matter. The government’s argument for not releasing the Yellowhammer report is that it would fatally undermine their negotiating position, that on its own tells you exactly what’s in that report.

Like I said, if it contained anything to back up the government’s position they’d be shouting it from the rooftops, not doing everything in their power to hide it away. This report was commissioned by leavers in government, it’s put together by experts, it’s up to date, and it’s not even the worst case scenario.

The only aspect of this that is effected by the unreliability of twitter is whether the contents of this report prove the consequences of a no deal brexit to be awful, or very very awful. The rest is simple common sense.
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:03 am

Yup.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Reported today:

“Boris Johnson’s Brexit envoy outlined a plan to ditch the UK’s commitments to stay aligned to the EU’s social and environmental standards.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... es-no-deal

For all his failings, at least Corbyn’s stance is that the U.K. should be a leader on environmental and social issues. For this reason I believe the EU would be more likely to make a deal with Labour and Lib Dems as they know they won’t slash and burn standards and continue to hide tax evasion like the Conservatives and Brexit Party want to.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Eco-Exile » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:52 pm

The Government have published the full Operation Yellowhammer report.

All six pages of it: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ns_CDL.pdf
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby dursleydog » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Eco-Exile wrote:The Government have published the full Operation Yellowhammer report.

Jesus Christ.... as someone who’s been “peddling project fear” in the words of leave supporters for the last 3 years, that’s even worse than I thought it would be.
And it’s been heavily redacted by the government, if that’s the stuff they were willing to keep in, what on Earth did they hide from us!?
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 pm

I read this and wonder if it is the real reason for the No Deal mantra being put out by Farage/Johnson//Rees-Mogg:

“From the financial data publicly available, Byline Times can reveal that currently £4,563,350,000 (£4.6 billion) of aggregate short positions on a ‘no deal’ Brexit have been taken out by hedge funds that directly or indirectly bankrolled Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign.”

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brex ... e-backers/
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Too occasional fan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:10 pm

Unfortunately there are people who think that Boris is wonderful.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby dursleydog » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 am

The single worst aspect of yellowhammer in my opinion isn’t really explained in the report. The individual effects of a no deal brexit are all exceptionally bad, but it’s the COMBINED effects that terrify me.

For starters, just look at the NHS. It might be able to cope with medicine shortages (still a needless awful stupid thing to have to cope with), but add in staff shortages due to EU workers leaving, add in rising costs due to inflation rates increasing and the crashing pound, add in the extra pressure on the service from aging ex-pats returning, add in the extra pressure due to falling health levels throughout the population due to the rising tide of poverty that will inevitably follow the widespread job losses, rising cost of living, and fresh food shortage, adult social care decimated in the same way piling that pressure into the hospitals and GPs.

The NHS could get by with any one of these in all likelihood, but all of them interacting with each other? Now apply this to every single business and industry in this country, apply this to the poorest in our society who the reports states in black and white will be disproportionately effected.

If leavers voted for this, or genuinely think this is worth it, they need to take a long hard look at themselves and their moral priorities.
Last edited by dursleydog on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:55 am

Here is a review of the laws and bills that have been lost due to Parliament being prorogued.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-49655201

For example the Domestic Abuse Bill which has been worked on for two years was due to get a reading and vote this week but will now have to go back to the start - if the likes of Johnson want to.

That one saddens me the most. Vulnerable victims being thrown aside for Boris Johnson’s political games.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 am

I cannot believe that any responsible person could even consider going down this route. These are only the issues that people thought of. They are bad enough, but can only be a subset of what could happen.

Did someone really come up with a cunning plan based on "let's really annoy our main trading partner"?

I don't see much evidence of " taking back control " in this document.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:18 am

No, indeed. It exposes the Brexit lie. I’ve noticed a big change in sentiment away from Brexit, as people find out what it really means. Kicking foreigners out and stopping then running our country. Nasty mean racism that would fit better in the 1950s.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Too occasional fan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:09 am

As far as I understand it, the main reasons for Brexit are to stop vicious new tax laws affecting the top (rich) 1% of people in the country, and to stop stricter control of the media.

Are there any other reasons...?
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:25 am

Eco-Exile wrote:The Government have published the full Operation Yellowhammer report.

Here in Kent it's certainly be a difficult time for the County council getting that all organised. Need to really step up the preparations, things aren't happening quickly enough from what I've heard and the roads are going to be chaos, especially anywhere around or approaching Dover at this rate. Operation stack was bad enough, this will be a lot worse unless the contingency plans are a lot better then what they've so far trialled.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Engineer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

The end of October obviously is an important date for the whole UK to leave the EU, but will it be the beginning of FGR's leaving of Nailsworth? Over to you Stroud District Council!
Engineer
Reserves
Reserves

Postby dursleydog » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:28 am

Well, there’s now a direct link between what’s going on in Westminster and what’s going on in Nailsworth.

The chief petitioner and main source of finance for the legal challenge to ensure Boris Johnson follows the law with regards to requesting an extension to article 50 is none other than our very own Dale Vince!
dursleydog
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FGRWill » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Dale's been keeping busy over the last 36 hrs - there's a variety of interviews and content on his Facebook page if you want to check that out.
FGRWill
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm

FGRWill wrote:Dale's been keeping busy over the last 36 hrs - there's a variety of interviews and content on his Facebook page if you want to check that out.

His Twitter feed has brought out the usual right wing element in defence of their oafish TalkRadio hero Mike Graham - the lovechild of Julia Hartley-Brewer and Jabba the Hutt. Seems to have really riled them up.

Never seen so many accounts worshipping Tommy Robinson on a single thread in my Twitter feed.

Thanks a bunch Dale! :D
TreeHugger
First Team
First Team

Postby Timb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 pm

What's the latest take today OTC? For us uninformed citizens.

I noticed a complete break from your normal regular posts after Foggy recounted a few observations recently.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat