Cheltenham manager on Forest Green

For chat about all other topics

Cheltenham manager on Forest Green

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:10 am

I am just catching up on Gloucestershire news and sport and see Mike Duff, Cheltenham manager had Q&A with fans. Two questions/answers where we were mentioned:

“Q: Forest Green doing well, what can we do?

A: There is a slight disparity in money! Don’t get too obsessed with Forest Green.”

“Q: How do you sell the club to potential signings?

A: Results help with that. We also try to play good football and we are trying to improve. We can’t offer the same money as Forest Green, Mansfield or Lincoln. But we can offer a good training ground, nice place to live, good group who want to improve and they’ll be coached.”
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Re: Cheltenham manager on Forest Green

Postby paulK » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 am

Still a lot of obsession and sour grapes there then.

Notice the money obsession thing still prevalent but without them revealing their income it's probably just an excuse.

What's it got to do with our first team anyway?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:25 am

Reference money:
I seem to remember that Cheltenham had/have a much larger squad than FGR.
That could make the difference between the wages of both sets of players.
And should not Cheltenham have more in the bank than FGR: in the summer they sold Mo Eisa for a £1 million while FGR paid CDs wages while he was temporarily at Bolton.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:14 pm

paulK wrote:Still a lot of obsession and sour grapes there then.

Notice the money obsession thing still prevalent but without them revealing their income it's probably just an excuse.

What's it got to do with our first team anyway?

Apologies if I placed this in the wrong section.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby king giraffe III » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:31 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:Reference money:
And should not Cheltenham have more in the bank than FGR: in the summer they sold Mo Eisa for a £1 million while FGR paid CDs wages while he was temporarily at Bolton.

Let it go.
king giraffe III

Postby paulK » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 pm

king giraffe III wrote:

Let it go.

But Cheltenham just can't seem to, can they :?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:01 am

paulK wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:

Let it go.

Duff was asked the question. He didn't suddenly start talking about us. Like he said, don't get obsessed!
king giraffe III

Postby paulK » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm

king giraffe III wrote:
paulK wrote:
king giraffe III wrote:

Let it go.

Duff was asked the question. He didn't suddenly start talking about us. Like he said, don't get obsessed!

I wasn't so much thinking about Duff as whoever asked the question. Probably an obsessive Cheltenham fan.

Me? I only commented cause it was posted. I'm not particularly interested in Cheltenham.
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby king giraffe III » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm

The only obsessive Cheltenham fan I'm aware of is OTC. :lol:
king giraffe III

Postby The Old TomCat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Michael Duff gave a very good and interesting double page interview to The Mirror.
FGR was not mentioned but MD bemoaned fact that sport in Cheltenham is dominated by the Rugby and Horse Racing.
He gave that as reason for lack of funds at Football Club.
As a close neighbour it is always interesting to read their point of view to find out where it affects FGR.
Rugby and Horse Racing does not dominate sport in Stroud.
Until then I was unaware that Cheltenham were 4th relegation favourites.
But from what MD achieved at back end of last season I suspect they have no fear of that.

Rest of the interview was dominated by how Burnley have influenced his career.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... n6hxMtoPSY
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Several things have changed over the decades that may require Michael Duff to break the chain or ....

When Rovers were in their first few years in the Conference, I used to watch a few Robins matches and even went to their League 2 Play-Off final win v Rushden & Diamonds. They had a settled side and a few home produced youngsters. Crowds were getting into the high 5,000s on occasion. And the surface they played on was the best around. None of those aspects have survived

Sure, the egg chasers rule, particularly in Gloucester, Cheltenham, FoD & Cotswolds. But Gloucester & Cheltenham alone comprise a population of around 250,000 these days, and GRFC's average of 12,000 - 16,000 still leaves much room. Also, Cheltenham has regional and head offices of some impressive financial and technology companies, with far greater wealth than Stroud. What is being done to tap those resources?

You can understand Yeovil's decline - a population of just 40,000 and closure of helicopter and other employers locally. But CTFC's is harder to reason. Even in the Conference the club regularly attracted 3,000 so In the words of St Deliah, where are they and their friends & relations? My own view is that past Chairman Baker ran a tight ship but if your aim is parsimonious survival with no ideas for real growth, that is hardly a recipe for exciting your fan base. The result, gradual leaching of supporters

Dale has his eyes on the future, and he needs to. His diet of publicity also feeds into FGR's marketing and advertising operation. Stroud is attracted to rugby but it is also Stroud's 'football bubble' in particular the expanding populations in Cam/Dursley, Stonehouse & Hardwicke and Wotton. And of course, Thornbury, Yate & Chipping Sodbury the next M5 junction down. All of which makes the location of the new stadium sound sense.

That said, we will do well to maintain our average of 2,750 as we have far less 'fat' to fall back on. But it was good to break 4,500 twice at the end of last season and let's hope that better home form might keep the growth coming from our still limited fan base.

Cheltenham can still roll out 5,000+ for local derbies with Swindon and ourselves over the main holidays and no doubt with Plymouth this season. Those games alone keep their average north of 3,000 which suggests that day to day, we both exist on crowds of between 2,000 - 2,500 for most matches.

So Michael Duff has to produce a Lincoln City style call to arms if his budget remains so limited. Several times he has called attention to tight purse strings, maybe a warning that he'll not wish to stay too long if things do not get better. Despite the rivalry, I wish him well. Rovers & Robins will benefit from 2 successful Gloucestershire teams
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat