The Lionesses

For chat about all other topics

The Lionesses

Postby stanman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:27 am

It has been a revelation watching the Women's World Cup this summer. Of course our enjoyment has been heightened by England's successes so far, and we just need to win the next two games to finish the job in style!

I have to admit I have really been suprised by the quality on show in France.
The games have been played with fair aggression (except one!), a tremendous competitive spirit generally within the rules, wonderful team togetherness, and quite simply just getting on with it! Noticeably absent are protracted arguments, backchat with officials and surrounding referees in an intimidating manner - despite some strange decisions at times.

The men's game has some lessons to learn in my opinion, and perhaps that might just happen especially if we come home as Women's World Cup Champions.

Good luck to the Ladies.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: The Lionesses

Postby Pitchfork » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 am

It's proving to be a fantastic advert for women's football and the game in general. There are lots of learning points ( VAR the big one) but the quality of the football, refereeing and crowds have all been so much better than 4 years ago.

The spirit in the England camp is great to see and this and their success will work wonders for Ladies football in this country.

The semi-final hurdle is a big one, but the Lionesses have already earned the respect of the nation
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Foggy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 am

I am loving the Women's World Cup, have probably watched more than half of the games and am totally hooked, not just because the Lionesses are doing us proud.

In addition to the above, there are a few refreshing changes from the men's game, things that are gone and will probably never return. The fans are often mixed in together, even when you have the huge numbers that have been following France, the Netherlands, USA and to a degree England you can see opposition supporters mixed in with them. If you look at the fans they don't look like they have spent the day on the lash and want to start punching anyone who looks at them the wrong way, the gender and age balance is not skewed towards males in the 30-50 age range, and most refreshingly the National Anthems are respected.

It isn't perfect, some of the refereeing has been a bit iffy, but VAR has often corrected any error made on the pitch. The wait for a flag to be put up for offside is frustrating, but I can see that at least it allows a passage of play to reach its conclusion. If a goal is scored, then VAR can rule it out rather than stopping play before a chance was created. I was amused in some of the earlier games where it appeared that tickets had been distributed amongst local schools and, regardless of who was playing, you could occasionally hear strains of "allez les bleus" being sung by kids.

Looking forward to the game tonight, to see who England will face in the Semi-Final...France versus the US would be a game worthy of the Final itself, should be an absolute belter!
The future is bright, the future is green...Forest Green!
Foggy
Top Manager
Top Manager

Location: The other side of the hill...living in the land of the eggmen!

Postby michael » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:14 pm

I hope FGR take this on board ,and our own green goddesses can progress and are supported by the club, after what can only be described as a very poor 18/19 despite the early season problems.

I do't think is dawned on those that matter that womens football is an essential part of a football clubs dna.
FGR are so progressive in many ways, confounds and frustrates me that they are so far behind in competitive women's football

better luck to them this coming season
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:39 pm

The Women's World Cup will be this summer's biggest sporting spectacle with the largest viewing figure.
And that is because it is on terrestrial television and the BBC have done an excellent job with publicity.
Other sports confined to the Pay per View channels should take note.
I bet women's football has a surge of incoming sponsorship money and many more bums on seats.

BTW I'm loving it. Watched every minute of England's games plus quite a few more.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:43 am

After a very uneven first set of matches, the Quarter Finals showed the level of quality in the premier women's football nations. France has been a good host too, sensibly using stadia with 20,000-40,000 capacity to amp up the atmosphere

USA look to be the strongest but the Lionesses's defeat of Norway was a quantum leap in their performance - worry about the occasionally sketchy defence & balls given away in midfield though, as USA will not be as lenient as the opposition thus far. However, I reckon we have the best player on show in Lucy Bronze. I'd love to see the Lionesses progress, yet cannot see USA being beaten. This has been the toughest half of the draw by far.

Dutch women look formidable and free-flowing, like their male counterparts. Think they will get past Sweden, who did everyone a favour by beating the team who seemed to be cruising to the final, Germany (twice past winners).

One plea to the football authorities, particularly those home based. Let the women's game progress at its own rate, and through engagement with communities. Less Premiership type hype and universal Betting sponsorship - already we begin to see the cynical dives and howls of pain over nothing. And from nowhere, many of the largest Prem male sides are setting up their own women's sections and raiding the inventory of foreign players - does not bode well in my opinion

Women's cricket has established a compelling model which is refreshingly different to the men's game - regional team competition, test series that combine all forms of the game in a points table and cricket played with a real smile. I've enjoyed the games I have watched locally and at national level. The characters sparkle through their personality, less because of the marketing razzle-dazzle

Women's sport does not need to be shoe-horned into the male mould, least of all the greed machine hallmark of the Premiership. Then again, when was football ever guilty of good stewardship at the top administrative level?
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:55 am

I think the cliched buzz words are sustainability and legacy .

i am sure womens football in this country will see a resurgence of interest for a few months-can the impetus be kept going though ,through the cold winter months ?

Just like the mens game though-i do not give two hoots whats happening at national level-but remain disappointed that FGR do seem to be doing only minimal to capture/market ladies football locally and through the clubs ladies first team .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Sadly, In the first half USA did capitalise on our still poor defending and awful give away passing from central midfield

But though starved of good service, the forward players look dangerous so not all is lost yet.

USA left back has been brilliant every game. Even Bronze cannot get past her

We’ve started half 2 on the front foot. Come on lionesses!
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tim13 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 pm

All going a bit Pete Tong now!
Tim13
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:54 pm

Oh Steph! 2 nd yellow caps miserable night for Bright. Better team won
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby redrobin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Yes agreed.
But one thing rankles.
After the penalty was awarded.
Surley the referee should have sent off the US girl.
Straight red for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity !!!
can't beat a good rib - eye !
redrobin
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Too occasional fan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:04 pm

We were good enough to get to the Semi, but our passing and awareness wasn’t as good as the best team in the world.

Without VAR we’d have been equal, but on the other hand, we may not have been in the match.

Great result, work in progress for our first World Cup.
The gimlet of the forum.
Too occasional fan
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 am

I don't expect them to progress to the WSL in two years ,but i hope this is reflected at local level, and that FGR ladies can have a bit of on field success ;and ladies football is finally taken seriously and better supported by the directorate at FGR.

There will be another surge of interest in two years with the Euro's being held in England.

Will-or maybe at the moment i ask -do-FGR want to ride on the back of that ?

never mind England-what annoy and on field will FGR have made in ladies football ?
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:53 am

Lionesses gave it a real go in the second half - effort and spirit nearly overcame the gulf in class. Then again, against all teams, USA seem to turn it on at will, are sharper, faster and hit their shots and headers with venom. For all the hype about the admirable Lucy Bronze, she was asleep for the first goal and the star defender on the pitch was left back Dunn, as she's been all through the tournament. Reminded me of the Forest chant - "you'll never beat Des Walker"

We have some good attacking players, but my first post on this thread was I regret, about right. The defence looks frail, though the unevenness in the quality of women's football at present never really saw them face the best attackers. Until yesterday. And the passing from central midfield was consistently awful and the slow pace of our possession game led to many being caught in possession. Shows how well White did given so few opportunities

Well done to Phil Neville for insisting on playing from the back and for building a superb professional approach. That will stand the squad in good shape. In some ways the faults are the same as we see at FGR when we do not move the ball quickly enough - square passing then a panicked final ball. USA countered at pace, and for all our possession, they made their passes, their forward movement was mesmerising and they were worthy victors. We saw the World Cup winners last night, I think

I think that English women's football has some way to go, but I hope it continues to make strides. By all accounts, our structure and resources put most countries to shame at the moment, but when they catch up we will have to have moved up a level.
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:44 am

I enjoyed watching the game and thought we were a bit unlucky. But ultimately you create your own luck.

It was interesting watching us play Norway and look a cut above, and then play USA and compete but be second best.

As was said after the game a long hard look is needed to consider how to raise the UK women's elite game another couple of notches. Long way to go yet.

And I agree with Michael. the first steps are Grass Roots and increase the numbers playing from a young age including at clubs like FGR. It wouldn't take very much input and support to reap a far higher dividend.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 am

Congratulations to the USA team. Holland played deep and were physically aggressive to try to put the world champions off their stride. It didn't work and they were never in the game - their keeper kept them in the game until the correctly awarded VAR penalty. And the second was a top drawer break capped by a ferocious, well directed finish

Clearly, USA are a class apart. Sharper, faster and they head/shoot with more power than most of the European teams can manage. First and foremost, they seem fitter and stronger, even the diminutive ace midfielder, Lavelle.

Well done Lionesses, but in truth there is not much between the likes of Holland. Germany, France, Sweden, Spain, Norway, England and even rising Scotland. England has less excuse than the others to progress, as the resources and facilities made available are the envy of most countries. Let's hope the lessons are learned as USA will get stronger still.

But I fear that a WSL Premier League, aping its male equivalent by buying-in ever more foreign talent, may result in the same 'also ran' result. Hope I am wrong. For all the hype, 4th place is where we were 4 years ago and at the Europeans. Phil Neville is a good manager but I'm not sure he has the talent base yet.

Anyhow, great tournament once the Quarters were reached and France as host got it spot on
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:46 pm

and the Roses
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat