England Win World Cup Cricket Final

For chat about all other topics

England Win World Cup Cricket Final

Postby twoguns » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:09 pm

An extradanory final against NZ with England triumphant. I went to school with Rob (Jack) Russell so always followed the cricket through the years.

I went through three sets of batteries on my remote control as I switched between the F1 Grand Prix with Lewis winning his 6th British title, the 5 set thriller at Wimbledon and the cricket. Wow, that super over and the victory will stay with me forever.

Congratulations England, Lewis and that Croatian fella.

Next up Captain Poldark.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: England Win World Cup Cricket Final

Postby Timb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:18 pm

A thoroughly entertaining day of summer sport and as you say unforgettable. As well as the tennis and Grand Prix.

Novak Djokovic is Serbian TG.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:19 pm

That was truly amazing - there will never be a closer game. NZ were very unlucky.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:36 pm

Incredible how sport can create these amazing climaxes; like most of the nation I was switching channels every couple of minutes while following the other on my laptop. Both the tennis and the cricket were so tense and exciting, those at the live events certainly got their value for money.

The end of the England innings could not have been scripted better.

Fortunately the tennis just finished first, allowing full concentration on that final 'superover'. I guess that ending will be talked about for decades.

Commiserations to NZ, but great to see England win a world cup....let's hope the Ladies can do the same in the netball.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby stanman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:57 pm

And then my wife thinks cricket is such a boring game.
There is no 'I' in team
stanman
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:14 am

It is!
:lol:
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:26 am

Not forgetting the netball world cup from liverpool :

I really and genuinely want to get into this netball thing ,but i am struggling .

It must be a good game-a bit like basketball without the dribbling;and i get and enjoy it right up until the' shooter' has a shot .

I just can't get my head around having a free shot all the time and not defended once she has the ball,does a bit of a pirouette turn and sticks it in the hoop

can somebody explain it to me ,as to why that is so good and skilful where its not defended
Its not exactly hard to stick it in a hoop from 2 yards out .
If you got an extra point for a nice pirouette surely that would be better .

can someone who understands and has played netball explain it to me please .

where am i missing the point ?

(some might say that it is a game that a lot of FGR supporters would enjoy and must follow, as they can then see FGR play the perfect passing game, without the opposition trying to stop you once you get in the penalty area ,and no goalkeeper -but that seems be the way netball is played.
The goalminder person in netball does not seem to do much apart from stick her arms up in the air.
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Pitchfork » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 am

Here are some words from Kurtis Guthrie's ( remember him Michael) sister

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... pdyM6JSPrt

My wife, who played netball at a high level, says,

"Great that you want to get involved in England Women's national sport. At last it's been given a higher profile. See a super league match live and you'll be very impressed.

As for the shooting & pirouetting ( called pivoting in netball) it lends gracefulness and elegance to the game - also to be able to stop at high speed requires high intense muscle control. Have you ever tried to shoot with a 6'+ opponent standing one metre away, leaning over your shot? Remember no backboard, and the ball must be released in 3 seconds! They make the skill look easy because they are so talented...but at this level 95% success is expected!

There are mixed leagues if you are interested! We could ask Dale to buy a netball post" :D
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:36 am

thanks-bamboo net strings to the of course .

i.m off to practice my emergency stops -and when i'm ready to play-i'll let you know.
i did play basketball reasonably in a previous life ,but gave that up as i could not get on with the very short (in those days ) pink silky shorts which were the team kit.

In fact-at the age of 7 in the skool playground we did have joint boy/girl netball teams but it was that long ago i have forgotten the rules .
funny what you do remember-i got quite into it and even had a couple of netball rule/training books at primary school age.

anyway-that aside-i hope the profile of the game is raised and England win the netball world cup next weekend ;even though i still don't buy into this undefended shooting thing
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby andymac26 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:45 pm

NewForestRover wrote:It is!
:lol:

Sooner watch paint dry meself.
andymac26
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 am

Wonder how many heart attacks were caused by that wafer thin win?

I'm glad that Williamson & his players are getting the credit for outstanding sportsmanship. Imagine what scenes might have followed if a top football match had the equivalent of the 'deflected six', the on so nearly caught six and various other potential flash points

I'd go so far as to say that both teams won. When you cannot separate sides by runs scored, even in the super over, maybe that was the time to say the trophy should be shared.

The spectacle was thrilling, featured brilliant fighting skills and sportsmanship, and was a credit to the game and everyone who took part. But whilst my heart celebrates, my head tells me that the Kiwis were as much victors as England

ps. I know cricket has long since made special rules for what it terms rather quaintly, overseas players. Entirely happy with that, Irishmen, West Indians et al. But for all the flags of St George fluttering around, England is in fact England & Wales. So where were the Dragon flags?

pps. UK cricket does have a problem it admits to, but has so far failed to solve. The unhappy success rate of home players from families who hail from South Asian countries making it into the England team. Rashid & Moeen Ali are exceptions. Nasser (as his late father) is very eloquent on this. It also explains why many such families in this country still support the teams from their background - Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka & Bangladesh.

At club level, those ethnic players are in relative abundance. Their enthusiasm is unrivalled. But irrespective of trials, they are rarely selected into County & Country representative XIs. In particular, Yorkshire & Lancashire have a huge fund of skilled potential stars who fail to make the senior grade. That is a national cause for concern and needs more energetic positive discrimination to right the injustice. I hope we make progress and you only have to glimpse the Indian Premier League to begin to realise what a flood gate of enthusiasm and talent we might release. Get this right and we'll be champions for some time ahead
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:39 am

Hi
Here is a referee scored goal, don't know if it was a decider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb29qyqeEH0

It's a good job it was NZ in the final and not the other antipodean team. Their players would have rioted about the caught six and the deflected additional 4.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Greeners wrote:Hi
Here is a referee scored goal, don't know if it was a decider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb29qyqeEH0

It's a good job it was NZ in the final and not the other antipodean team. Their players would have rioted about the caught six and the deflected additional 4.

Greeners, this is England. Always a dodgy debate about an England World Cup win.
Remember 1966 and Geoff Hurst's goal - did it cross the line.
Rugby Union: last kick of competition when Australia were on the ascendancy.
And cricket: that thrown ball hitting an England bat and freakishly giving England four extra runs.
:D
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Timb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 pm

I think that you'll find that Ben Stokes is from New Zealand CG.
Timb
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby twoguns » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:09 pm

I saw a clip on Sky news that suggested the deflected extra 4 from Stokes bat should have been given 5 not 6 as the ball hit the bat before Stokes crossed the crease for the second run. Fine margins indeed.

The real winner for me was the game of cricket itself.
follow me on twitter @stevegriffin1
twoguns
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi 2guns
I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist(not) but that'll be evidence of Murdoch editorial influence.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat