Possession isn't Everything

For chat about all other topics

Possession isn't Everything

Postby paulK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Of the 8 teams that won tonight only 3 had the majority of possession and only 3, the most shots. (I think!!)

Stats that don't add up?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Possession isn't Everything

Postby michael » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 am

no surprise there .

I would not want to change it, but football is a bit of a weird game in the scoring stakes,as it is a low scoring game,and luck plays a big part in individual games (accepting that it averages out over 46 games ).
Unlike high scoring games such as basketball-where possession tends to result in a score ,and to a lesser extent -rugby is similar ;possession has a lot less influence on results in low scoring games .
Maybe similar in hockey-low scoring and possession thus counts for less .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Eco-Exile » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:06 am

paulK wrote:Of the 8 teams that won tonight only 3 had the majority of possession and only 3, the most shots. (I think!!)

Stats that don't add up?

It has been the case for years in the Champions League, World Cup, Euros and Championship for years.

Liverpool and Man City are basically the only two teams in England who dominate possession and win every week.
Eco-Exile
First Team
First Team

Postby Green Devil » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:20 am

I’ve said it before but really successful possession football is about intensity. Keeping on the move, making yourself available and making use of the space when it presents itself. It calls for seriously fit individuals capable of doing all of the above and I guess that is why the Liverpool’s and Man City’s (or going back some years - Guardiola’s Barcelona) of this world show how it should be done.

At lower league levels it all becomes slower, teams have time to sit in and defend in banks and hence why we see so much sideways and backward passing. Head up, see the space and pass but be prepared to hunt and support in numbers.

I am loving the young guys in the team but they need to be given the freedom to express themselves. It is inevitable if you play around the back line, you will get caught out and mistakes will happen. Like Michael, I don’t have many high hopes for the season but if the squad can bed in, we have much to look forward to.
“Information is a source of learning. But unless it is organized, processed, and available to the right people in a format for decision making, it is a burden, not a benefit.” (William Pollard)
Green Devil
Reserves
Reserves

Postby TreeinWillsbridge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:09 pm

Soft possession in your own half, especially when a goal down doesn't work against a team that takes a breather and then can press quickly.
TreeinWillsbridge
Youth
Youth

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:02 pm

The likes of Accrington, Luton, MK Dons etc have all been recently promoted out of league 2 playing passing/possession based football. We did pretty well too last season.

For me it's all about being able to change the pace, slow possession in your own half is fine, but when you get in the final third it needs to be done quicker, one and two touch, make decisions quickly and when the chance opens up get your shot in. This is something that takes time to perfect, but watching clips of us training etc it looks like we're working on it a lot. I believe we have attacking players with the ability to make it work more consistently, but it's not going to happen over night with such a young squad.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Tommo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Agreed. We have a young team that's learning. Reece Brown took a season to get it right and some of these other guys may take as long or longer. I like the MC passing style but think that you are right about needing to up the pace at times - especially as we approach the opposition half. We are trying that I think but when we lose the ball we look very exposed to fast breaking counter attacks. Its a tough balance to strike and we haven't got it right yet. Hopefully we will - soon - and prosper even though we are no longer a surprise package.
Tommo
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:26 am

Sort of agree-upping the pace is fine-if you are capable, but as soon as pace goes up,risk goes up and its harder to control the ball.

I agree with E_E that basically -the only teams that are good enough to do it are manchester city and liverpool,and their players are marginally better than those at FGR.
The theory is fine-but putting it into practice is so much more difficult .

The point about RBrown taking a season to get it right is well made.
You can't have 16 players taking a season to get it right-and then at least a third of those will drop out of the frame within 12 months anyway .

I just can't see how you can 'get it to work properly at this level.

If MC can ,fantastic-and he will deserve a knighthood .
the ironic thing is-if he can-he will then rightly get a job at a much much higher level -and then you start all over again at fgr with a manager with a different footballing philosophy
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:48 am

michael wrote:
I just can't see how you can 'get it to work properly at this level.

If MC can ,fantastic-and he will deserve a knighthood .
the ironic thing is-if he can-he will then rightly get a job at a much much higher level -and then you start all over again at fgr with a manager with a different footballing philosophy

So on that basis, would you advocate the likes of Nathan Jones, Karl Robinson, Keith Hill, Ryan Lowe or Paul Tisdale, amongst others, receiving knighthoods then. All have achieved relative success in the lower divisions generally playing possession based football.

I would also say that it is pretty likely that if/when MC leaves, the club will look to appoint a manager that buys into the same footballing philosophy, as it seems clear given the way that, by all accounts, our youth set up are all being coached 'the FGR way' that we are looking to build a footballing identity/dynasty in a similar vein to the likes of Crewe or Swansea, and any future coaching appointment will need to fit into that.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat