Matchday Experiences (Away From Home)

For chat about all other topics

Matchday Experiences (Away From Home)

Postby NewForestRover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:21 pm

I've been to quite a few away games over the years. Not so many since I've been supporting FGR but enough to notice the difference between the not so good, the good and the excellent.

Cambridge on Saturday were exceptional.

From the moment a random guy told me when to get off the C3 bus when we reached the ground because he could tell by my colours that I was going there, to the Cambridge fan on the same bus going back who asked me if I needed directions to the station (even though we'd just beaten them!)

Stewards on the gate and in the ground were the most welcoming I've ever met and their supporters club bar was great and lovely that away fans were made so welcome. I really wish we could do the same at TNL.
I arrived there early and got chatting to some home fans who invited me to sit at their table. I spent most of the time trying to convert them to vegetarianism. I'm pretty sure that at least one of them will be looking for Quorn when they next go shopping!! :D

Friendliest, nicest fans ever and ground staff who really care about their visitors were there on Saturday so get my vote for the perfect matchday experience.

It would be really good if we can all give our opinions on away visits via this thread and have a vote at the end of the season for top three.
And then tell them how grateful we are for their excellent hospitality.

Cambridge get my vote so far and I'll be very surprised if I find better elsewhere.
Always Looking On The Bright Side
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Re: Matchday Experiences (Away From Home)

Postby michael » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:29 pm

Pleasing to hear .
thanks for posting.

Life moves on after a decade ,and the majority should not be tarnished by a few (it was more than a few ) ,but some of us retain less pleasant memories of Cambridge supporters being involved in some rather unsavoury activities in the male toilets at the Old Lawn
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby NewForestRover » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:11 pm

I know nothing about that but as you say.....life moves on and we should only give our opinions on away trips this season.

I'll only be able to do another 3 or 4 but I know there are others who go to most of the matches.
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Kentstripe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Thought the 'fan zone' outside the Habbin Stand was a good idea, unusual to have a live DJ but in decent weather I can see it being popular especially as it's free to away fans, unlike their bar. Stewards etc were friendly. Beer was good, burger ok.
Kentstripe
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Salisbury away PSF was excellent - good car park near stadium, friendly stewards, in and outside ground, welcomed in their own bar area, given team-sheet,very friendly supporters, a nice experience. Charlton was also good, friendly stewards, no hassle, only downer was the price of a pint at £9.40.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Molly68008 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:22 pm

I like hearing about the positive experience away fans have had. Compassionate sportsmanship is a must and nothing less should be accepted or tolerated.
Last edited by Molly68008 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Molly68008
Youth
Youth

Postby michael » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:39 pm

I am not sure-but i think in the USA sporting events are generally unsegregated-and albeitt i think there has been a bit of trouble recently-you get much better behaved spectators.

Imo-the whole segregation /tribal thing we have at football in the UK leads to trouble .

If supporters were allowed to mix at football-you would get fewer problems.
Like VAR -for the first few weeks, it would take 'time to settle' , but really it is self policing as 99.9% of people just want enjoyment-and part of that is getting balanced viewpoints from others .

the idea of segregation is sooo -last millenium .

-annoys the heck out of me when people on this forum criticise the occasional post from supporters of other clubs.

on a larger scale- non segregation in south africa,germany and northern ireland has led to a better world.
eventually we'll get Israel and Palestine agreeing the same.
(north and south korea not too far off already ).

appreciating they have to abide by EFL rules and have no choice -but where is the logic in segregating supporters at fgr during the game-but post match we can all get on the bus together to collect our cars from renishaws ,and its post match when passions are most high after one team has lost and the other has won.

the same people who think segregation is correct, then say there should be no discrimination in society /gender/age /sex .
where's the difference ?
surely segregation is just another form of discrimination
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Molly68008 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm not sure if sports fan in USA are better behaved or not. America has far more than it's share of jerks, idiots and twits. (Sadly one lives in the White House) there always seems to be a few who want to spoil the fun for everyone. I agree that the segregation of fans seems to be a bad idea. It seems medieval. I like hearing about other fans enthusiasm for their favorite team. The sharing of a positive passion is often enjoyable. I try my best not to have any major negative feelings about any team, but I confess an Arsenal defeat or a defeat of either Manchester United or City puts a smile on my face.

But, I try my best to live my Love your neighbor as yourself rule.
Molly68008
Youth
Youth

Postby NewForestRover » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:49 am

michael wrote:
Imo-the whole segregation /tribal thing we have at football in the UK leads to trouble .

If supporters were allowed to mix at football-you would get fewer problems.
Like VAR -for the first few weeks, it would take 'time to settle' , but really it is self policing as 99.9% of people just want enjoyment-and part of that is getting balanced viewpoints from others .

the idea of segregation is sooo -last millenium .

appreciating they have to abide by EFL rules and have no choice -but where is the logic in segregating supporters at fgr during the game-but post match we can all get on the bus together to collect our cars from renishaws ,and its post match when passions are most high after one team has lost and the other has won.

I suppose clubs and the EFL feel the need to segregate fans during games due to the possibility of trouble kicking off as well as the match!

But as you say, at 5pm we all use the same buses and Stroud station is often full of away fans catching the same train as me. I've never witnessed any trouble between fans since I've been coming to TNL.

Like I said in my first post, what I would really like is for us to either provide a bar for away fans or allow a certain amount into ours (especially now we have two).
You notice the difference when you visit other grounds and they have great facilities for away fans. Then you feel bad when their fans come here, especially when it's cold and wet.
e.g. Crawley, Stevenage and Cambridge have club bars either the same size or smaller than ours but still welcome away fans. Barnet had a bar especially for away fans that was almost the size of the football pitch!

Then again, when I went to Cheltenham there wasn't anywhere to buy a glass of wine.

So I guess there are some who are less hospitable than we are!
NewForestRover
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:03 am

Agree with the post - thought Cambridge United were exceptional from first to last. Also in their care of our supporter taken ill.

Best in my memory? Hyde. Lovely little club with a wonderful old fashioned welcome
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby paulK » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:46 am

My early days impressions of supporting ball sports were that in football, fans got segregated, in rugby everybody there didn't seem to be the need.

These days I always enjoy a non-segregated experience and always take the opportunity to mingle with opposition fans. There is a certain amount of camaraderie and respect and interesting conversations to be had.

I'm not sure why the Green Man is home supporters only. Historic?

With the amount of hospitality and Gym bar available, time for change?
paulK
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Crawley away is a good experience - away fans segregated in covered stand with own food bar.Suggest do not have the beef burgers as they were cold and tasted of pieces of carpets.Reasonable cost for soft drinks. If you go by car, best not park in the ground, as they charge £5 and afterwards as its one road in / out, you queue for an eternity.However,just up the road opposite the K2 Leisure Centre,same side as ground is free parking for all, in office grounds which is clearly marked,and there is a footpath into the adjoining ground of approx. 50 yards, and safe as houses.Good friendly and helful stewards and staff.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:26 pm

parking a bit like FGR then.

did i read that its £7 to park in the ground now.

not suggesting thats wrong-simple supply and demand ,and if you get your highs from shopping centres instead of football its more expensive to park for 4 hours in Cabot Circus or in Bath

charge £12 if the market will bear it-its just not for me ,and we all have a choice
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat