Jordan Stevens - Sanctioned by FA for betting

For chat about all other topics

Jordan Stevens - Sanctioned by FA for betting

Postby madasahatter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Six week ban from all footballing activity and £1,200 fine.

Lenient penalty in my view, though his parent club are 'spitting feathers' at the harshness of the punishment.

Link to FA report here:-

http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/sep/09/j ... eks-090919

PDF file at bottom of page.
madasahatter
Youth
Youth

Re: Jordan Stevens - Sanctioned by FA for betting

Postby Citizen Rob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Leeds statement here: http://bit.ly/StevensBanned

They've called the punishment excessive.
Citizen Rob
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Pitchfork » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:55 pm

So madasahatter calls the punishment lenient and Leeds believe it is excessive.

I believe it is about right; the sanction of not taking part in any football activities will be harsh for Jordan and the two ex-professional footballers who helped determine the punishment realise this. Surely better this than a six month sentence just forbidding playing matches. I'm sure he will keep himself fit and be ready to play again at the end of next month. I hope Jordan comes back and manages to catch up with the Academy, Scott at Weston or a match at The New Lawn.

From Leeds statement
"he is a young footballer who needs educating on the dangers of outside influences and how to conduct himself as a professional footballer."
This is a responsibility of all clubs, I hope Leeds have questioned their role in 'safeguarding' Jordan over the last year.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby The Old TomCat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Citizen Rob wrote:Leeds statement here: http://bit.ly/StevensBanned

Not knowing the exact precise crime that Jordan committed I refuse to comment whether his punishment was excessive or lenient.
But from a distant viewpoint it seems punishment was on the lenient side. Players have lost their careers and gone to prison for illegal betting.
I also wonder if the punishment included a warning deterrent to other players?

Question to perhaps Footieman; has Jordan been banned from all contact with Leeds Utd for the six weeks or can he train and keep match fit with them?
If not allowed access to club I can understand Leeds anger.
The Old TomCat
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby GETCARTER » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm

I hope he learns his lesson, and that he returns to the game with a changed mind-set. Too many footballer's lives have been blighted by excessive betting.
GETCARTER
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 pm

The Old TomCat wrote:
Citizen Rob wrote:Leeds statement here: http://bit.ly/StevensBanned

Not knowing the exact precise crime that Jordan committed I refuse to comment whether his punishment was excessive or lenient.
But from a distant viewpoint it seems punishment was on the lenient side. Players have lost their careers and gone to prison for illegal betting.
I also wonder if the punishment included a warning deterrent to other players?

Question to perhaps Footieman; has Jordan been banned from all contact with Leeds Utd for the six weeks or can he train and keep match fit with them?
If not allowed access to club I can understand Leeds anger.

Jordan Stevens has been suspended from all football and football related activity with immediate effect for a period of six weeks.

Exactly what it says. He'll have to train on his own for 6 weeks. His youth obviously will have saved him greater sanction.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi Colin. Does that mean he can't even go and watch a game?
No animals were harmed during the creation of this message, but some electrons became agitated.
Silver Surfer
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 pm

should have been a minimum 2 year ban imo .
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby FootieMan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Hi Colin. Does that mean he can't even go and watch a game?

My summation is no he can't and he would be best advised to lie low for six weeks. Low profile is best for him and ride out the storm quietly and don't court attention. Come back into the fold when the door reopens and let his football do the talking. All young players at professional clubs will have received advice on betting amongst other issues so he has no excuse. Probably like many they have too much spare time and many do not know what to do constructively.
FootieMan
First Team
First Team

Postby Greeners » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi
It appears you can't even advertise betting even if it is for overseas consumption.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49646233

There was also the furore about Rooney's 32 shirt and there have been warnings about the sizes of Logos for them.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:32 pm

in the case of yerry mina, it is very reassuring to read that his fee/payment for the advert did not go to Yerry Mina himself , and was paid to -oh the Yerry Mina Foundation - thats allright then
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby Greeners » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:26 am

Hi Michael.
I thought I was the only cynical sceptic left in the country.
Greeners
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:36 am

According to the FA statement he staked a total of £500 quid and his bets included five on games involving Leeds. Very stupid but the punishment seems proportionate given what others have received.

In the long, long run I feel sure we will look back on this era of near-blanket sponsorship by the bookies like we now look back on sponsorship by big tobacco and wonder why we ever allowed it.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:07 am

cookiemonster wrote:
In the long, long run I feel sure we will look back on this era of near-blanket sponsorship by the bookies like we now look back on sponsorship by big tobacco and wonder why we ever allowed it.

Agreed

Sixty-one percent of teams in the top two tiers of English football are sponsored primarily by betting companies.
Forty-five percent of those in the Premier League have betting companies emblazoned on their shirts.

After the spoof 'Paddy Power' sash for Huddersfield's pre-season friendly , the Irish bookmaker urged other betting companies to surrender their shirt sponsorships as part of a ‘Save Our Shirt’ campaign.

Huddersfield have since released their new Umbro kit for the 2019/20 season, without a sponsor.

Of course it is the TV advertising which is most in need of eradicating.
Pitchfork
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 pm

meanwhile, i am very grateful to the betting industry for their financial input, as the support of Skybet must substantially assist FGR and many other clubs maintain a presence in the EFL ,and indeed where other betting companies additionally provide funding to the other clubs you mentioned, which probably means that FGR can play a game against an opposing team , rather than just playing with yourself which gets a bit boring after a while
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 pm

michael wrote:meanwhile, i am very grateful to the betting industry for their financial input, as the support of Skybet must substantially assist FGR and many other clubs maintain a presence in the EFL ,and indeed where other betting companies additionally provide funding to the other clubs you mentioned, which probably means that FGR can play a game against an opposing team , rather than just playing with yourself which gets a bit boring after a while

This is the same argument deployed against the ban on tobacco advertising. And yet here we are still playing and watching professional sport.
cookiemonster
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisgump11 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:12 am

Agree with Pitchfork - about right but also maybe rather fortunate.

Bigger problem is how football deals with the exponential increase in betting companies and the hard sell at stadiums & all forms of the media - including one advert that actually has the main character sat on a sub's bench encouraging players around him to bet. How warped is that?

For Jordan, 'the fun has just stopped'. You have a second chance young man - use your grey matter and concentrate on your exceptional footballing skills
Chrisgump11
Top Manager
Top Manager

Postby michael » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 pm

maybe Mr Stevens is a lucky boy getting just 6 weeks.

i thought it should have been two years.

here is a bromley player getting a 12 month ban for apparently the same offence .

it may be that stevens had not racked up so many offences-but that is surely simply because he got caught out before he had time to ?

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/s ... hs-212735/
michael
Top Manager
Top Manager

Return to General Chat